Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone else think Leonard Johnson can be a starting CB for the Bucs? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 27, 2013, 02:52:19 PM

I like him, but I think that he should be the 4th CB.

He's not good enough of a tackler to play in the slot.

He's not big or quick enough to be ideal against #1 and #2s on the outside.

His strong suit is suppose to be his press coverage and physical play, but I think that he would be better suited in a Tampa 2 or other defense that plays mainly zone. In those schemes, I could see him being a Barber/Tillman/Jennings kind of player who just makes a bunch of impact plays.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 27, 2013, 03:00:21 PM

I think he could be a solid nickel. He might have starting potential in a more traditional cover-2 defense

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 27, 2013, 03:57:42 PM

Along the lines of what Buc the Move said. I think he could very well be a solid starting CB, but I don't think he should be penciled in as one going into next season in any way.

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
#18 : January 27, 2013, 04:06:36 PM

Along the lines of what Buc the Move said. I think he could very well be a solid starting CB, but I don't think he should be penciled in as one going into next season in any way.

Right, I think they should hit one target who Is very talented (through draft FA or trade), then bring in a couple mid tier FAs or mid round draft picks and have them battle it out in the off-season. I would have absolutely no problem with  Leo Johnson as our opening day starter. As long as he EARNS it and is not GIVEN the gig.

Tommy

Starter

#19 : January 27, 2013, 04:25:06 PM

Dude looked ok this season. I think he could start but I don't think he is great player

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#20 : January 27, 2013, 05:23:18 PM

He played like a typical rookie CB,  made some splash plays but also got burnt alot.   That is to be expected.  I am very interested to see who Schiano picks to coach the secondary as I think a sold coach can really help both Leonard Johnson and Barron make huge strides in their 2nd year.  I do see Johnson as more of a nickel corner who really is like a starter the way teams are throwing the ball these days

+1
Thats a good and fair analysis.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 27, 2013, 05:28:48 PM

I think he showed the potential to be our nickel, which is basically a starter in today's NFL. If I had to choose right now, between Biggers, Gaitor, and Johnson....I'm taking Johnson. Clearly showed the most potential this year imo.

Exactly....and lets not forget that Ronde wasn't Ronde in year 1

-------------------------------------------------------

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 27, 2013, 05:31:14 PM

He is not Revis, but I believe he has a place on the team.  Sign Smith and draft Milliner or Rhodes, and have Leonard and Biggers and Gaiter behind the starters.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 27, 2013, 05:34:45 PM

I think he showed the potential to be our nickel, which is basically a starter in today's NFL. If I had to choose right now, between Biggers, Gaitor, and Johnson....I'm taking Johnson. Clearly showed the most potential this year imo.

Exactly....and lets not forget that Ronde wasn't Ronde in year 1

Totally agree.  Earlier in this thread, I linked an article from JBF which quoted Ronde's impressions on Johnson.
#20 thinks the kid has talent.  I'm certainly willing to take a longer look.

Turn the page.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#24 : January 27, 2013, 05:40:03 PM

Holy crap you guys have set the bar awfully low.....

Half of you are screaming for Revis and the other half wanting to see LJ on the field....SMH.....LJ should be a #4 at best. Keep him and Biggers and bring in 3 brand new starters. And send Gorrer packing. I will never forgive him for dropping that pick that would have sealed the eagles game.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 27, 2013, 05:41:30 PM

Half of you are screaming for Revis and the other half wanting to see LJ on the field....SMH

Not sure if you're aware of this or not but in today's NFL, there are 2 and sometimes 3 CBs on the field........ at the same time.

-------------------------------------------------------

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 27, 2013, 05:53:04 PM

i have no problem with LJ as a dime or nickel.  I dont want to see him starting next year though.  need to bring in a starting caliber CB in FA and draft another one early(top 2 rds).

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#27 : January 27, 2013, 06:00:07 PM

Half of you are screaming for Revis and the other half wanting to see LJ on the field....SMH.....LJ should be a #4 at best. Keep him and Biggers and bring in 3 brand new starters. And send Gorrer packing. I will never forgive him for dropping that pick that would have sealed the eagles game.
[/b]

A little harsh there, though it was a tough one to watch.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 27, 2013, 06:09:55 PM

Rebuilding takes patience; no wonder Gruden could never do it. Only a small part of any roster can be 1st round picks or 'splash' FA's; that nasty ol' cap just gets in the way (check out the current Jets)  ;D. So many here just want that instant gratification, unwilling to give a young player more than 1 TC and season to develop. tsk tsk ;)

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 27, 2013, 06:11:11 PM

[/b]

A little harsh there, though it was a tough one to watch.
  Totally agree; at least he was in POSITION to make a play...
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone else think Leonard Johnson can be a starting CB for the Bucs? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools