Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone else think Leonard Johnson can be a starting CB for the Bucs? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#30 : January 27, 2013, 06:12:46 PM

With the right coaching yes. Yes he got burnt but he made plays as well. He played like a rookie and that has upside if coached well.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 27, 2013, 06:17:16 PM

Holy crap you guys have set the bar awfully low.....

Half of you are screaming for Revis and the other half wanting to see LJ on the field....SMH.....LJ should be a #4 at best. Keep him and Biggers and bring in 3 brand new starters. And send Gorrer packing. I will never forgive him for dropping that pick that would have sealed the eagles game.

Look at the number of quality CBs in the league that worked there way up from nothing. Baltimore's starting CB's in the Superbowl are a 7th round pick that got signed off Tennesse's practice squad and a 5th rounder who came from the Bears. Their talented first rounder is on the bench. I think the CB and Safety are the positions where hard work, instincts, and good coaching (and a good pass rush in front of you) are more important than physical talent.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#32 : January 27, 2013, 06:26:05 PM

Half of you are screaming for Revis and the other half wanting to see LJ on the field....SMH

Not sure if you're aware of this or not but in today's NFL, there are 2 and sometimes 3 CBs on the field........ at the same time.

Did you read my whole post or just chose to highlight half of it to make your point. I said we need 3 new corners....but I guess you were in too big of a hurry to be a smart ass to read that part...
: January 27, 2013, 06:52:52 PM CaptainStagger

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#33 : January 27, 2013, 06:52:19 PM

Rebuilding takes patience; no wonder Gruden could never do it. Only a small part of any roster can be 1st round picks or 'splash' FA's; that nasty ol' cap just gets in the way (check out the current Jets)  ;D. So many here just want that instant gratification, unwilling to give a young player more than 1 TC and season to develop. tsk tsk ;)

Don't read into my comments more than what is there.  Where did I say I was unwilling to let him develop????? Please tell me???? What I said is that he should start the year as the #4 and learn his craft.......Tsk Tsk Tsk....,

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#34 : January 27, 2013, 06:55:51 PM

Half of you are screaming for Revis and the other half wanting to see LJ on the field....SMH.....LJ should be a #4 at best. Keep him and Biggers and bring in 3 brand new starters. And send Gorrer packing. I will never forgive him for dropping that pick that would have sealed the eagles game.

Look at the number of quality CBs in the league that worked there way up from nothing. Baltimore's starting CB's in the Superbowl are a 7th round pick that got signed off Tennesse's practice squad and a 5th rounder who came from the Bears. Their talented first rounder is on the bench. I think the CB and Safety are the positions where hard work, instincts, and good coaching (and a good pass rush in front of you) are more important than physical talent.

I agree, and not once did I say we cut him, I just said he should be a #4 and sit behind some legit corners and earn his way onto the field. Not be gifted the position due to lack of depth like this past year.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#35 : January 27, 2013, 07:07:05 PM

Wow....I can't believe so many of you want to see him starting next year. All i said is he should ride a little pine and hone his craft, not get cut. And you jump on me like i said we need to upgrade our weak side linebacker....wow.....He was the starting cornerback from the second worst pass defense in the history of the NFL, he made some splash plays, got a lucky pick or two and got burned a wholeeee lot. He has potential, so let him develop, but should he start....no, and if you think yes, then I think you set the bar pretty low for our starters. (even at nickel)

And don't come at me with the "he only had 1 Training camp" BS. So did Janoris Jenkins.....you know what the difference between Jenkins (possible DROY) and Johnson (possible camp meat) is.....talent. One of them has a whole lot more. So when I look at my 2013 starting corners.....all 3 of them.....I want a higher level of talent. Sure he might be great, but he isn't right now. Bring in FA S. Smith and Trufaunt, draft Rhodes or Banks, and let Johnson earn it.
: January 27, 2013, 07:09:46 PM CaptainStagger

Hate

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 27, 2013, 07:52:10 PM

Half of you are screaming for Revis and the other half wanting to see LJ on the field....SMH

Not sure if you're aware of this or not but in today's NFL, there are 2 and sometimes 3 CBs on the field........ at the same time.

Did you read my whole post or just chose to highlight half of it to make your point. I said we need 3 new corners....but I guess you were in too big of a hurry to be a smart ass to read that part...

Simply pointing out that it was possible to have Johnson and Revis on the field at the same time.... since the thought of it had you shaking your head. Relax Capt..... your 1st drink is on me at the PR g2g next month.

-------------------------------------------------------

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#37 : January 27, 2013, 08:14:13 PM

Simply pointing out that it was possible to have Johnson and Revis on the field at the same time.... since the thought of it had you shaking your head. Relax Capt..... your 1st drink is on me at the PR g2g next month.

No worries, second round is on me....just got hammered by three of you in a row for saying LJ needs to develop more before he should start and it caught me off guard....lol

Hate

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 27, 2013, 08:47:35 PM

I'm an LJ fan and feel the nickel is the perfect spot for him. He can develop without the pressure of having to cover the opponent's #1.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#39 : January 27, 2013, 09:02:40 PM

I like him too.....But....I still think we see 3 new corners on this team. Top level FA, mid tier FA, top round draft pick. Maybe by week 8 when someone gets hurt Johnson gets a little playing time at nickel but until then let him conquor covering Benn in practice. Harry Douglas > Leonard Johnson, Lance Moore > Leonard Johnson, He could get there....but not yet.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : January 27, 2013, 09:04:51 PM

I think we see three new CBs too, but that doesn't mean Johnson won't earn the nickel job.

Draft Aaron Donald

Hate

Hall of Famer
#41 : January 27, 2013, 09:10:00 PM

Had a g2g with my PR brethren today and this very topic was discussed. I def see 2 being brought in.... a FA and i pretty high draft pick. Some think we'll sign 2 FAs but i don't see it.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#42 : January 27, 2013, 09:16:45 PM

Last year we brought in Wright, Tandy, Johnson, Lewis, Mcdonald, and Gorrer......and the result was horrific,,,,,Lets hope instead of throwing crap against the wall, becuase looking at that list there is allot of crap, this year they elevate the level of talent.....Smith, Trufaunt, and Rhodes would all start out of that group.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 27, 2013, 09:20:04 PM

Last year we brought in Wright, Tandy, Johnson, Lewis, Mcdonald, and Gorrer......and the result was horrific,,,,,Lets hope instead of throwing crap against the wall, becuase looking at that list there is allot of crap, this year they elevate the level of talent.....Smith, Trufaunt, and Rhodes would all start out of that group.

True.... but they will carry 5 or 6 CB's.  It depends on how many they bring in, but Leonard will still be there no mattter what IMO.  Its still to be determined how far down the depth chart he slides.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#44 : January 27, 2013, 09:27:18 PM

Biggers and Johnson are the only keepers. Tandy stays as a hybrid.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone else think Leonard Johnson can be a starting CB for the Bucs? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools