Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revis pricetag ..........“They’re going to ask for two First-round picks" « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 28, 2013, 12:25:37 AM »

Speculation commences on what Jets could get for Revis

Posted by Mike Florio on January 26, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
 PFT

Getty Images

The Jets have made it known that they will at least explore their options regarding cornerback Darrelle Revis.  Which means that anyone interested in trading for him now knows that he’s available.

So what could the Jets get?  An NFL source with knowledge of the market tells the New York Post that the Jets will aim high.

“They’re going to ask for two [first-round picks],’’ the source said, which coincidentally is the same package they got for receiver Keyshawn Johnson 13 years ago. “It’s going to take probably a first and a third [round pick] and salary . . .  picking up the money end of it is a big consideration as well. Maybe a throw-in seventh-round pick depending on how well he does.’’

That seems ridiculously high, given the impact of the rookie wage scale on the value of draft picks and given that Revis is still recovering from a torn ACL.  No one will give up that kind of value without knowing Revis will be the same player — and without knowing that he’ll be sticking around for a while under a contract that he deems acceptable.  Which will be hard to negotiate until knowing if he’s healthy.

Seven years ago, the Dolphins gave up a second-round pick for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who had suffered the knee-ligament Trifecta the prior season.  And Culpepper never was the same as he was from 2000 through 2004.

More recently, the Patriots gave up a fourth-round pick for cornerback Aqib Talib and a seventh-round pick, even though Talib was in the final year of his rookie deal.  Though the Patriots have not yet extended Talib’s contract, they have the luxury of the franchise tag; Revis can’t be tagged.

Another source tells the Post that the Jets will get less than they could have gotten by allowing their intentions to be known.

“They’ve tipped their hand and taken all their leverage away,’’ the source said.  “This could have been done in silence, other than saying ‘We’re going to trade our best player,’ coming from the owner.”

We disagree with that.  The Jets will maximize their return for Revis by maximizing interest.  It becomes an auction, and if two or more teams decide they must have him, the offers will (in theory) get better and better.

The only problem is that, by allowing word of the trade interest to be leaked, the Jets now have a potential issue with their best player.  And it will take more than a give-me-time-to-review-the-roster conversation with new G.M. John Idzik to restore the belief that the Jets plan to keep Revis around.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #1 : January 28, 2013, 12:27:25 AM »

2 First rounders? Screw that. I would give a 2nd and Blount.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 28, 2013, 12:42:39 AM »

Blount and Wright, max....hehehehe

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 28, 2013, 12:48:08 AM »

If Revis's bargaining history has anything to say about his future, he'll eventually play the FA market.

The Jets can ask whatever they want from teams though. Worse case scenario for them would be a 3rd round comp pick, and one more year with one of the best CB's in the league.

If anyone wants revis, they'll have to aim high.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

geetech84

Starter

« #4 : January 28, 2013, 12:51:08 AM »

2 First rounders? Screw that. I would give a 2nd and Blount.

agree!

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 28, 2013, 12:57:30 AM »

Hell.....I didn't think he was worth ONE first rounder with the injury history.  Now 2 ?

Pass

I can't see anyone shelling that out.  As someone mentioned above, I think he just refuses all deals,  by not agreeing to a new contract.  Then he hits free agency after next season, and can hit the jackpot then.  With a healthy year under his belt.  And they can't tag him, so its a sure thing, as long as he stays healthy.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 28, 2013, 03:16:12 AM »

Rex Ryan and their GM must be back on their crack diet.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 28, 2013, 06:37:13 AM »

I've said all along it will take 2 first round picks to get him.   He's the best CB in the NFL.    Keyshawn Johnson wasn't even close to the best WR in the NFL and the bucs gave up 2 first round picks for him.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #8 : January 28, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »

offer #13 and a 4 year 50 mil contract.  make it public so Bucs fans know the Glazers made an honest play for the best CB in football.  and when they decline, dont worry about it.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 28, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »

offer #13 and a 4 year 50 mil contract.  make it public so Bucs fans know the Glazers made an honest play for the best CB in football.  and when they decline, dont worry about it.

I like this. Trouble is, if they say OK, do the bucs go ahead with it?

They would probably ship him off to a team that he would want to go to. So if that's the case, VJax better be at it again if they're sincere in bringing in revis.

A 7-9 team doesn't look so good, so the tax break and guys like vj will help. Of course, they could forget being nice and sell him off away.

I mean, revis never cared about their plans when it came time for more money in his pocket.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

danimal09

Starter

« #10 : January 28, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »

Pffffffffffffttt

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 28, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »

No way on 2 firsts. Two 2nds should be the max.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

« #12 : January 28, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »

Wake up Jets, it's time to get ready for school.  Stop dreaming.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #13 : January 28, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »

offer #13 and a 4 year 50 mil contract. 
I like this. Trouble is, if they say OK, do the bucs go ahead with it?

in a heartbeat.  big contract, but not an albatross.  best player in a position of need, probably better than anyone available at that pick.  only makes mikewill and vjax better everyday.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #14 : January 28, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »

i'm gonna go into my boss today and ask for a half a million.....and see if i get it!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revis pricetag ..........“They’re going to ask for two First-round picks" « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools