Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: REPORT: BUCS ADD FORMER SAINTS AND JAG ASSISTANT AS SECONDARY COACH « previous next »
Page: 1 2

PewterReportMC

Hall of Famer
: January 30, 2013, 11:00:37 AM

After a nearly month-long search the Buccaneers have reportedly hired former Saints and Jaguars defensive backs coach Tony Oden to replace fired Ron Cooper as their DBs coach.

READ MORE....

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=8739

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 30, 2013, 12:10:35 PM

MEH, a very unimpressive list of previous stops in his career.
Is this really the best we could attract, a guy that has been fired from the job after just 1 season by both teams that made him DB coach?
This stinks of settling for a guy because we had to fill the vacancy eventually.

DailyRich68

Starter
#2 : January 30, 2013, 12:20:40 PM

The Jags brought in a new head coach, I don't think their letting Oden go was so much a reflection of the job he did as it was cleaning house for the new guy.  And he left New Orleans voluntarily, although there was some question if he would have been kept on after Gregg Williams left.  So he wasn't fired from either of his jobs.
: January 30, 2013, 12:23:22 PM DailyRich68

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 30, 2013, 12:22:10 PM

Is this really the best we could attract, a guy that has been fired from the job after just 1 season by both teams that made him DB coach?
This stinks of settling for a guy because we had to fill the vacancy eventually.

ron coopers pedigree was much more impressive?  everyone was impressed by that hire.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 30, 2013, 01:34:39 PM

ron coopers pedigree was much more impressive?  everyone was impressed by that hire.
Did you see me praising Cooper?
2 wrongs don't make a right, why fire a bad DB coach only to hire another bad DB coach.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#5 : January 30, 2013, 01:36:13 PM

I think position coaches are tough hires to impress with in general.  It's not like Herm Edwards or Mike Tomlin is coming back to position coaching.  Every now and then you have a good position coach who stays as a position coach, or doesn't make it as a head coach and returns to assistant work, ala Marinelli, but young coaches have to cut their teeth somewhere.  IT will be interesting to hear Dom and Coach S. comments on the new additions to the coaching staff, when they have their next PC.

What evidence do you have that he is a "bad" hire?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 30, 2013, 01:58:46 PM

2 wrongs don't make a right, why fire a bad DB coach only to hire another bad DB coach.

why didnt you like the cooper hire?

who was on your short list to hire?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 30, 2013, 02:03:20 PM

A DB coach is a stepping stone, not the final platform. I.E, good DB coaches do not stay as DB coaches. 

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 30, 2013, 02:27:56 PM

why didnt you like the cooper hire?

who was on your short list to hire?
I never said I didn't like the potential of the Cooper hire, it just turns out that the potential didn't become results.
It happens.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 30, 2013, 02:31:56 PM

A DB coach is a stepping stone, not the final platform. I.E, good DB coaches do not stay as DB coaches.
I get that, so  why go for a guy that has failed twice, let him go back to being an assistant DB coach and give another guy a chance to step up, chances are they won't be much worse based on Odens results.
How often do you see a guy get fired 2 straight years get a third shot right away?

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#10 : January 30, 2013, 02:35:55 PM

I think you are misinterpreting his being "fired".  Between the coaching shake up with the Greg Williams fiasco, and new HC in Jax, I don't know how much his job changes were as a fault of poor performance on his part, or merely situational.

HolyBuc

Starter
#11 : January 30, 2013, 02:43:34 PM

He made a lateral move to the Jags when Spags became the DC of New Orleans and brought his DC in St. Louis with him and made him DB coach.  Not sure how much of that was his fault.  This the whole coaching staff in Jacksonville except two coachs was let go.  I know nothing about him so I could not speak to him as a good or bad coach.  How many times does a big name work out as a position coach?  I was hoping to get a guy like **CENSORED** Jauron, but I imagine getting a guy like that to take position coach job he would have to be besties with the HC or at least the DC.  Who would of been a good DB coach hire?

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 30, 2013, 02:54:53 PM

Why is everybody acting like you have to hire a guy coming down the coaching ladder rather than somebody going up it?
Or that opinions aren't meant to be fluid based on newer information.
Also the "Well who would you hire?" comments are obnoxious, you don't have to know the actual answer to a question to have a good idea that a different answer given is wrong. Just because I know you can't get to Mars driving a Pinto doesn't mean I do know how to get there.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 30, 2013, 02:59:38 PM

I think you are misinterpreting his being "fired".  Between the coaching shake up with the Greg Williams fiasco, and new HC in Jax, I don't know how much his job changes were as a fault of poor performance on his part, or merely situational.
Right, a 30th ranking and 22nd ranking wouldn't have any impact on why they moved on at all.
How many times can a guy get let go "because of shake ups" before it's accepted that he was a part of why a shakeup was needed. 4? 5?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 30, 2013, 02:59:47 PM

Just because I know you can't get to Mars driving a Pinto doesn't mean I do know how to get there.

only problem with your scenario is, you dont seem to know what a Pinto is.  you have heard its not good...but heck, you dont really know anything about a Pinto.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: REPORT: BUCS ADD FORMER SAINTS AND JAG ASSISTANT AS SECONDARY COACH « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools