Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Reach for a Corner? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 31, 2013, 12:00:32 AM

Will the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Reach for a Corner?

Jan 28th, 2013 at 8:41 pm

by Leo Howell
2013 NFL Draft

Every week at fansided.com, the team posts a new NFL mock draft based on the latest news and a good dose of personal opinion. The crew at the Fansided main page do a great job considering the needs of every team in the NFL, but followed the common thread most mockers do when it comes to the Buccaneers.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, CB

As I mentioned earlier, its certainly not a sure thing that the Buccaneers will select a corner with the 13th pick. My strong stance against taking a corner not named Milliner still stands, as I believe both Xavier Rhodes, who Josh Sanchez has the Buccaneers taking in the Fansided mock, and Johnthan Banks arent worthy of a top 15 pick as it stands. Milliner might be worth trading up for, but with the number 13 pick being well after the Alabama corner will be off the board, the Buccaneers would be better served selecting the best player at another position of need.

As the board stands at pick 13 in the mock linked above, the Buccaneers have options. Ezekiel Ansah, who I profiled this past weekend, is available, and could be an elite defensive player if he reaches his potential. Hes an athletic freak and a very smart player who is still learning the game. Jarvis Jones (linebacker from Georgia) is also available, and is a highly talented player who could help fill the hole left by the likely departure of Quincy Black (due to injury). Its also possible that safety Kenny Vaccaro will be available, as Josh Hill projected in his last mock draft.

Most mock drafts avoid the use of trades, because they are much tougher to predict. But I would venture to say that the Buccaneers would be a likely trade candidate if they were sitting at the 13 pick and were not interested in Vaccaro, Ansah, or Jones. Moving down in the first round and picking up more mid round picks would give the Buccaneers some extra chances in the draft lottery. They could also select the same level of cornerback in the late first round as the ones being projected to them at the 13th pick.

The Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik has been solid in his drafting over the past couple of years, and I am confident that he will make the right moves on draft day. Being at the 13th position means the Buccaneers could move up or down the draft board easily, either to grab a top-10 talent or allow other teams to compete for mid-round players who might have slid further than expected. What do you think the Buccaneers will do? Is it wise to take a cornerback, regardless of who is taken in the first 12 selections? Comment below and let us know what youd like to see Dominik and Co. do on draft day.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/01/28/fansided-2013-nfl-mock-draft-review-will-the-tampa-bay-buccaneers-reach-for-a-corner/

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 31, 2013, 12:13:54 AM

I'd like them to do one of two major things.

Sign two (actually good) FA corners then draft BPA, or trade that pick off altogether for Revis. Milliner is not elite caliber. Banks is damn good (only one worth the injury risk IMO) but again, is he injury plauged?

If any team had the reasons needed to pull off that trade, or to reach for a CB, it deffinately would be the Bucs.

Screw aiming low. I want Dom to do something with the secondary that has merit, not just bring in some more "nobodies."
: January 31, 2013, 12:19:06 AM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

McCoy93

Starter

#2 : January 31, 2013, 12:16:04 AM

I hope not. But if they did reach for a corner i believe it would be Desmond Trufant. His stock is rising most likely a late first. I wouldn't mind if we took Trufant i just hope we trade back a little if they do

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 31, 2013, 01:16:47 AM

Hope not.  If Milliner is gone, I hope they explore a trade back.  For Rhodes, Banks, or Trufant .   But as someone mentioned, that could all be moot,  if they pick up a CB or two ahead of time in FA.  Then they could stay at #13 and take BPA.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 31, 2013, 09:57:51 AM

Hope not.  If Milliner is gone, I hope they explore a trade back.  For Rhodes, Banks, or Trufant .   But as someone mentioned, that could all be moot,  if they pick up a CB or two ahead of time in FA.  Then they could stay at #13 and take BPA.

Jammer and grimes in FA, then BPA in draft.

Heck, dom could go up the draftboards a couple of spots with the talib fourth even, if he signed two good corners in FA.

If he goes heavy in FA, the draft will be an open book for what the bucs want. My guess? De or Dt.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 31, 2013, 10:21:53 AM

a 34 year old and a 30 year old midget coming off an achilles?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 31, 2013, 10:35:45 AM

a 34 year old and a 30 year old midget coming off an achilles?

They're still good quality players. Kinda just threw them out there. Namedrops you know?

In all seriousness, I could care less whom in particular they sign, as long as they have legit talent (Not a Wright situation).

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#7 : January 31, 2013, 10:40:37 AM

They will move up and get Milliner

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#8 : January 31, 2013, 11:29:10 AM

Dougherty of Fansided (1-30) has Milliner going to Phil, Banks going to SD and the Bucs taking Lotulelei DT

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 31, 2013, 11:32:18 AM

They're still good quality players. Kinda just threw them out there. Namedrops you know?
In all seriousness, I could care less whom in particular they sign, as long as they have legit talent (Not a Wright situation).

i agree.  every player available will have redflags.  i just tend to lean towards the younger bigger guys.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 31, 2013, 12:31:21 PM

Dominik has done nothing for the OL in the draft since he became GM. In order for Doug to thrive and Josh to survive, now is the time to snag an impact player for 2013 and beyond. Address CB in free agency and later in the draft. If not OL then an impact DT to pair up with McCoy.

I'd replace Q. Black with Watson. We don't need to draft a LB or a DE. We need to resign Bennett and get Clayborn and Bowers more experience.

An average FA CB will upgrade our defensive backfield. We can't depend on rookies completely. Talent alone won't get the job done. Wright is likely gone, but he shouldn't be that hard to replace. Revis would be great but too costly.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 31, 2013, 12:35:02 PM

Man, I hope MD trades down and drafts either Lane Johnson OT or John Jenkins DT.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 31, 2013, 12:38:03 PM

1sparkybuc, I agree with your points for the most part. Straighten both lines out first. We have enough skill players this year to Draft BPA for the lines and sign some plug in, renta FA, eg, CB, LB, TE, RB, FS, etc. On offense give Bostad what he needs for a decade and on defense, get the damn pressure consistent. We need continuity and consistency and IMHO, we can do anything until those two areas are rock solid. I know the draft wont go that way and if I knew so much, I would have an office at One Buc Place.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#13 : January 31, 2013, 12:39:38 PM

Dominik has done nothing for the OL in the draft since he became GM.

I'd prefer he sign bonafide players in FA personally, over a crapshoot draft choice any day of the week. He gets a pass from me when he signs an All Pro to sure up the line. We need to add some youth, but there are more glaring needs all across the defensive side of the ball.

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 31, 2013, 12:45:50 PM

Dougherty of Fansided (1-30) has Milliner going to Phil, Banks going to SD and the Bucs taking Lotulelei DT

Dream come true.....Never happen, but  Lotulelei is one of a few "elite" prospects IMO.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Reach for a Corner? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools