Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Q&A « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 31, 2013, 12:46:46 AM »

Bucs Q&A: Coach Davis could be on sidelines

By ROY CUMMINGS| The Tampa Tribune
Published: January 30, 2013

Q. When will Butch Davis be able to coach on the sideline for the Bucs?

- Bert Hadley, Tallahassee

A. Davis makes it out to practice on a regular basis, so he's already dabbling in the coaching end a little bit. As far as actually being on the sidelines on game days, it's hard to know. Davis worked from the press box last year, aiding the coaches there with his observations and suggestions. My guess is he will continue to work in that role in 2013, but there's a chance he could take on some new duties as part of the staff shakeup that’s being completed now.

- Roy Cummings

Q: I think it would help the team to get a better quarterback, one who is not afraid to run when he needs to and also more accurate. What do you think?

- Maureen Rosen, Ocala

A: Everyone, including Josh Freeman, would love to see Freeman be more accurate with his throws. He was off the mark a lot this year, but that does tend to come as part of a deeper passing attack. Don't forget that Freeman's completion percentage was at 62 percent the previous two years, which is a lot more acceptable. As for running the ball, Freeman has the ability to run and make good yards as a runner. Many got the feeling this year that he was being urged not to run as much as he has in the past. Certainly that appeared to be the case early on, then the coaches let him loose a little more the last two thirds of the season.

The Bucs are definitely concerned about Freeman suffering an injury when running so it may not be all his fault that he doesn't run as much as many would like. Bottom line on Freeman to me is, it's way too soon to give up on him and I don't think the Bucs are. He still needs some refining, but until you absolutely know for sure that you have an upgrade, you better hold on to him. I can think of nearly two dozen teams that are in much worse shape at QB than the Bucs are with Freeman.

- Roy Cummings

Q: How secure do you feel defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan's job is? And do you think Mississippi State CB Jonathan Banks is on the Bucs' radar?

- Karen Hartman, Boca Raton

A: I don't think the Bucs are going to make a change with Sheridan. I believe he comes back and one big reason for that is the work he did with the Bucs' rush defense. You can blame a lot of the pass defense problems on injuries and other personnel circumstances, along with play calling, but one thing to keep in mind is that it's not easy to find a defensive coordinator who is willing to run what is basically someone else's (in this case Greg Schiano's) defense. As for Johnthan Banks, you're not alone. Scouts love him, too, and some draftniks already have the Bucs taking him with the 13th pick.

- Roy Cummings

Q: If Josh Freeman should come out in 2013 and continue to play erratically, is Dan Orlovsky the answer or is there another contingency that's being explored?

- Len Erickson, Lakeland

A: The Bucs are exploring the possibility of bringing in, either through free agency or the draft, someone who could replace Freeman, both in the short term or the long term. Orlovsky is an option, but the Bucs would really like to add someone who could possible take over as their QB of the future should Freeman fail. Orlovsky is seen as more of a short-term fix.

- Roy Cummings

Q: What do you think is the biggest offensive need for the Bucs? OL, TE, or a third WR?

- Brett, Warrensburg, MO

A: I would say it's tight end. Dallas Clark is aging and may not be back for 2013 and Luke Stocker seems like a solid No. 2 at best. The Bucs will have a shot in the first round at Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame, who is by far the best in the draft this year. Not sure if they'll go there, but it is a possibility. He'd fill a big need.

- Roy Cummings

Q: Why don't the Bucs look at taking FSU CB Xavier Rhodes? He is big and strong and plays physical.

- Nick, Las Vegas

A: I believe the Bucs are looking very closely at Xavier. He could be a nice fit for them and should be available when their turn comes up in the second round.

- Roy Cummings

Q: As a long-time Bucs fan living in the frozen tundra surround by cheeseheads it can be interesting to say the least. Are the Bucs looking at maybe QB E.J Manuel from FSU to get in the later rounds?

- Larry Pippin, Lodi, WI

A: The Bucs are looking at a lot of QBs as a possible competitor for Josh Freeman's job. E.J. Manuel is definitely on the radar. But so are lots of others, both in the draft and free agency.

- Roy Cummings

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 31, 2013, 02:12:43 AM »

I can think of nearly two dozen teams that are in much worse shape at QB than the Bucs are with Freeman.

Two dozen?   Really?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 31, 2013, 03:46:00 AM »

I can think of nearly two dozen teams that are in much worse shape at QB than the Bucs are with Freeman.

Two dozen?   Really?

My thoughts exactly! And hell, I'm a Freeman fan.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 31, 2013, 09:45:59 AM »

Just wondering why Tampa has to have a Qb competition with two Qb's who are similar.

IMO they should bring in a pure pocket passer and see what transpires.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 31, 2013, 09:57:20 AM »

Two dozen?   Really?

My thoughts exactly! And hell, I'm a Freeman fan.

I would be hard pressed to come up with 1 dozen to be honest.  Im not a Freeman fan, nor a hater...but to say 2 dozen means only 8 teams have a better situation than us at QB?  Really?

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 31, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »

Two dozen?   Really?

Yea..hopefully he meant one dozen...and even that's a stretch.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 31, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »

Typo?

He's as good, or better than half the league. Considering the league consists of 32 teams, and we're assuming he's better than half, he would be around 16 give or take.

Two dozen is 24, and he's certainly not playing that well to be 8th in the league. We could maybe push/reach for top 12.

However, if the passing defense gets better, I believe we will see him up there with the best.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 31, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »

"He was off the mark a lot this year, but that does tend to come as part of a deeper passing attack."

Carries the distinct aroma of bovine feces. Freeman's accuracy issues are most prevalent on short and intermediate routes.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 31, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »

"He was off the mark a lot this year, but that does tend to come as part of a deeper passing attack."

Carries the distinct aroma of bovine feces. Freeman's accuracy issues are most prevalent on short and intermediate routes.

That sh*t will certainly fly with the casuals and the freepologists...which seem to be catered to, all too often.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 31, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »

That sh*t will certainly fly with the casuals and the freepologists...which seem to be catered to, all too often.

..Or the other people who always think their answer is "right."

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 31, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »

I would consider myself a Freepologist (to an extent at least), but that doesn't mean I agree with Cummings. From my point of view, his answers on all the questions were pat, or pathetically wrong.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 31, 2013, 08:48:19 PM »

True.   

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Q&A « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools