Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How Long will Warren Sapp Await Buccaneer Company in the Hall of Fame ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Hate

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 09, 2013, 02:33:11 PM

Sapp is great and a deserved Hall of Famer so this in no way is a criticism of him, but it's impossible to play a position at a higher level than Derrick Brooks did.

are you stating that Brooks is the greatest LB to ever play the game?

-------------------------------------------------------

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 09, 2013, 02:43:26 PM

Just like Sapp, Brooks defined a position that was the centerpiece of a defense that was at or near the top of the league for a decade or so. So successful was the defense that quite a few teams tried, with varying success, to use the same scheme during that same period of time and beyond.

If Sapp is a first ballot HOFer so is Brooks because Brooks defined the WLB role in the same was Sapp defined his position. Add to that Brooks doesn't have to worry about a "Strahan issue" like Sapp did and if you believe off-field stuff matters, well then Brooks has to have a slight leg up.

both great players

Hate

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 09, 2013, 02:48:05 PM

I have no doubt the Brooks will be a first ballot HOFer but for anyone to say he's more deserving than Sapp is craziness to me!!

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 09, 2013, 02:50:55 PM

I have no doubt the Brooks will be a first ballot HOFer but for anyone to say he's more deserving than Sapp is craziness to me!!

I agree. I guess that might come from the difference in character, not sure.  On the field, they were both dominant and critical to the success of the Bucs.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 09, 2013, 02:55:10 PM

Dungy is going to wait.  Bill Parcells waited 4 years.  Dungy will wait at least 3, and the only reason he has a chance to get in that early is that he's so beloved by everyone.  Brooks will be close.  I think he gets in first ballot, but only if no contributors (Tagliabue/Modell) get in.  If one of those two do get in, Brooks might have to wait an extra year.  Strahan is a 100% lock for next year, as is one receiver (either Harrison or Reed), I think Bettis gets in though he really doesn't deserve it.  And history has shown that if need be, they will force a player who has been waiting for a while in (likely Haley).  They won't have every player inducted be someone who has only been waiting a year or two.  So, that leaves one spot for either Brooks or a contributor.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 09, 2013, 03:39:58 PM

Dungy is going to wait.  Bill Parcells waited 4 years.  Dungy will wait at least 3, and the only reason he has a chance to get in that early is that he's so beloved by everyone.  Brooks will be close.  I think he gets in first ballot, but only if no contributors (Tagliabue/Modell) get in.  If one of those two do get in, Brooks might have to wait an extra year.  Strahan is a 100% lock for next year, as is one receiver (either Harrison or Reed), I think Bettis gets in though he really doesn't deserve it.  And history has shown that if need be, they will force a player who has been waiting for a while in (likely Haley).  They won't have every player inducted be someone who has only been waiting a year or two.  So, that leaves one spot for either Brooks or a contributor.

If Brooks get passed over for anyone, its a traveshamockery

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 09, 2013, 07:50:46 PM

are you stating that Brooks is the greatest LB to ever play the game?

He's the greatest I've ever personally witnessed at doing what the Bucs asked of him. It's hard to compare what he did to linebackers that attacked the line of scrimmage and got after the QB. They're really only the same position in name.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How Long will Warren Sapp Await Buccaneer Company in the Hall of Fame ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools