Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Strange Bucs selection in Kipers draft... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 08, 2013, 12:06:57 PM

If we're picking a LB, I would rather pick up Khaseeme Green. He plays like Lavonte David and is a Rutgers guy. Plus he's not a first round pick.

He's a bit undersized but whatever. Mason Foster hasn't done anything to lose his job either, so it's not like I think that Teo would do a better job.

Based on kip's odd pick, methinks he believes the bucs will solve their corner problem via FA. Which isn't at all impossible.

Green is a good pickup, but we're talking about replacing black, instead of drafting a corner. Corner is obviously problem number one. After that, LB and DT. Drafting for BPA would allow for an LB or DT to be drafted in the first. So, for me, I'm looking for the most productive LB in college, and that's going to take a first rounder. Especially if the cornerback situation is already addressed predraft.

No one else is deserving of our #13 except CB, DT, or LB anyway. Except for maybe the big TE, and I'm not a fan of drafting te's that high unless they were spectacular. Milliner will be gone by the time we pick, but banks would be a good consolation prize, as he has that revis potential (IMO).

Your problem is trying to get inside Kiper's head - I don't think there's all that much thought in this, because if there was, he wouldn't have made the run defense comment.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 08, 2013, 01:18:34 PM

If we're picking a LB, I would rather pick up Khaseeme Green. He plays like Lavonte David and is a Rutgers guy. Plus he's not a first round pick.

He's a bit undersized but whatever. Mason Foster hasn't done anything to lose his job either, so it's not like I think that Teo would do a better job.

Based on kip's odd pick, methinks he believes the bucs will solve their corner problem via FA. Which isn't at all impossible.

Green is a good pickup, but we're talking about replacing black, instead of drafting a corner. Corner is obviously problem number one. After that, LB and DT. Drafting for BPA would allow for an LB or DT to be drafted in the first. So, for me, I'm looking for the most productive LB in college, and that's going to take a first rounder. Especially if the cornerback situation is already addressed predraft.

No one else is deserving of our #13 except CB, DT, or LB anyway. Except for maybe the big TE, and I'm not a fan of drafting te's that high unless they were spectacular. Milliner will be gone by the time we pick, but banks would be a good consolation prize, as he has that revis potential (IMO).

I wouldn't be mad if we picked up someone like Jarvis Jones, but I still don't see how they could fit into the scheme to really maximize their worth.

Good, traditional 4-3 OLBs drop in the draft, and we need to take advantage of that like we did with Lavonte David.

Jarvis Jones is pretty much a one trick pony, Greene is a guy who is solid overall. He has outstanding coverage, he's pretty much a defensive back in a LBs body. He's a solid tackler, and he had 5.5 sacks last season - he's not Jarvis Jones by any means, but he can be useful in a blitz.

I think that stopping short passes, and intermediate ones in the middle of the field with those big TEs, and being able to come away with a few INTs is more important than getting 10 sacks from your OLB.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 08, 2013, 01:21:44 PM

I wouldn't be mad if we picked up someone like Jarvis Jones, but I still don't see how they could fit into the scheme to really maximize their worth.

Good, traditional 4-3 OLBs drop in the draft, and we need to take advantage of that like we did with Lavonte David.

Jarvis Jones is pretty much a one trick pony, Greene is a guy who is solid overall. He has outstanding coverage, he's pretty much a defensive back in a LBs body. He's a solid tackler, and he had 5.5 sacks last season - he's not Jarvis Jones by any means, but he can be useful in a blitz.

I think that stopping short passes, and intermediate ones in the middle of the field with those big TEs, and being able to come away with a few INTs is more important than getting 10 sacks from your OLB.
I agree with a lot of your points, but think there's a decent chance Jarvis Jones could actually play 4-3 OLB and be effective while not rushing the passer since at 6'2-6'3" 240 lbs he has the body of a 4-3 OLB more like Clay Matthews than someone like DeMarcus Ware or Aldon Smith who are shaped like 4-3 DE's.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 08, 2013, 04:15:25 PM

Jarvis Jones would have to play Strongside OLB in our system , because we aren't benching or moving Lavonte. Strongside OLB for Jarvis Jones would be a complete waste of his talents.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 08, 2013, 04:21:52 PM

Jarvis Jones would have to play Strongside OLB in our system , because we aren't benching or moving Lavonte. Strongside OLB for Jarvis Jones would be a complete waste of his talents.
You would pretty much ask him to do exactly what Denver has Von Miller do. If he is 75% the player Miller is, he's worth it.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 08, 2013, 04:25:54 PM

That's why the coach can draw up plays for his best pass rushing LB. how many times did we watch Black get burnt in coverage? Miss tackles. Not get a good pass rush. Schiano system calls for all LBs to blitz when called on and he showed all season he would send LBs leaving the corners on a island. The best thing about Jarvis is that he can be moved around.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 08, 2013, 04:34:28 PM

You would pretty much ask him to do exactly what Denver has Von Miller do. If he is 75% the player Miller is, he's worth it.

Do we run the same style of defense as Denver ??

How does denver go about freeing up Miller for pass rushes since he plays on the strongside ??

Didn't watch much of Denver , I'm curious how they do it.

Also , how do you keep your SAM on the field in nickel formations , and who would you be sending to the bench in his place ?
: February 08, 2013, 06:39:25 PM Fire Mark Dummynik

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 08, 2013, 07:34:36 PM

Do we run the same style of defense as Denver ??

How does denver go about freeing up Miller for pass rushes since he plays on the strongside ??

Didn't watch much of Denver , I'm curious how they do it.

Also , how do you keep your SAM on the field in nickel formations , and who would you be sending to the bench in his place ?
Denver runs a fairly standard 4-3. In base formations, Miller plays the run, mostly blitzes, and sometimes plays coverage. In sub packages, he stays on the field and either rushes from a stand up position or gets up on the line and depending on the situation they remove an interior lineman or a linebacker.

gone

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 08, 2013, 07:41:00 PM

Why in the hell would we take a MLB when we have other glaring needs?

Because drafting for need is stupid?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 08, 2013, 07:43:51 PM

I guess it could work , Schiano does like to blitz afterall. 

Still makes me nervous drafting a player in the 1st round who you have to re-design everything for , and come up with special schemes , just to keep him on the field and making an impact.

If you do draft him you better damn well make sure he is another Von Miller. Otherwise it's a complete waste.

Jutt

Starter
#40 : February 08, 2013, 08:06:13 PM

Not always, but even if we were going the BPA route, I highly dout Te'o would be BPA at that point.

Theres no sure fire way to draft, be it BPA or for need. Sometimes BPA fills a need,.sometimes it doesnt. But to say drafting for need is stupid is ridiculous.

bamabucs

Second String

#41 : February 08, 2013, 08:34:41 PM

T3'o got owned by Alabama.  I don't want him....

Everyone, save Johnny Football, got owned by Alabama.  I don't even think you're eligible for the draft these days until you're embarrassed by Alabama on national television.

IGNORANCE ALERT!!!

Did you watch SEC championship game? Watch it and tell me who the best defensive players of the game were. I will help you out, it was Alec Ogletree, CJ Mosley and Jarvis Jones.

Watch Bama vs LSU and tell me who had the best defensive performances. Kevin Minter, CJ Mosley and Eric Reid.

Special talents in big games flash their talent at least for a few plays here and there. No special player may have been as invisible as Te'o managed in the biggest game of his life.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 08, 2013, 08:53:03 PM

Draftng a MLB when we are bound to have other players with similar grades is insane...plus Teo isn't all that good.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Jutt

Starter
#43 : February 08, 2013, 08:58:08 PM

Draftng a MLB when we are bound to have other players with similar grades is insane...plus Teo isn't all that good.

Pretty much. Why would we take Te'o when someone like Banks, or Rhodes is likely to be on the board. I wouldnt mind taking Jones, but Sheridan would definitely have to figure out how to maximize his potential in the 4-3 like Denver has with Von

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 08, 2013, 09:13:31 PM

Te'o could not beat out Mason Foster in a fair competition for MLB on this team . You don't draft backups 13 overall . There will be enough players still available with similiar grades to go elsewhere.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Strange Bucs selection in Kipers draft... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools