Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Xbox 720 - reinforcing reports that used games will be unplayable « previous next »
Page: 1

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
« : February 08, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/next-gen-xbox-details-emerge-reinforcing-reports-used-164504269.html

The mystery surrounding Sony’s (SNE) PlayStation 4 will soon dissipate when the company unveils its next-generation video game console on February 20th. Meanwhile, Microsoft’s (MSFT) upcoming rival console is still very much a mystery, though pieces of the puzzle continue to come together. The latest report comes from Edge, which cites multiple unnamed people with “first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console” in claiming that the new Xbox will require an always-on internet connection to check disc registration in order to function. The report reinforces earlier rumors that Microsoft will restrict or even completely block owners’ ability to play used games.

Edge also reaffirms specs reported earlier, including a 1.6GHz eight-core AMD CPU, D3D11.x 800MHz graphics and 8GB of RAM, and it says we should expect a new Kinect sensor to launch alongside the console.

Microsoft’s next Xbox is expected to be unveiled during the E3 gaming conference this summer.

If these rumors are true then I will not be buying a new Xbox.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #1 : February 08, 2013, 05:37:22 AM »

This is sony's chance to get back on top of the gaming industry. Play along with the whole no second hand thing, and then when it comes time for release refute the report and allow used games to be played.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #2 : February 08, 2013, 07:17:33 AM »

Saw a report the other day that stated that it was doubtful that PS3 games would be playable on the PS4. Hopefully both rumors are just that.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 08, 2013, 08:13:54 AM »

Not sure MS can afford to make a console require always on internet.

We know that the after market is gonna be a big target of the content makers soon. I mean the whole appeal in many ways of a cloud based, not disc based, system is there is no secondary market.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 08, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »

I can see it now $500 for a 720 and $80 a game.

Yeah I think i'll stick with my Madden 13 on Wii, I'm actually grown quite attached to it. Very Arcade style but the games are much cheaper, the console is much cheaper, and the online capability is free with free roster updates. The hardcore gamers will likely buy into it but the fringe will let it go. Let's hope they know what they're doing here. At some point most people are going to say F' it, it's just a video game.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

TampaBucks05

Pro Bowler
« #5 : February 08, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/next-gen-xbox-details-emerge-reinforcing-reports-used-164504269.html

The mystery surrounding Sony’s (SNE) PlayStation 4 will soon dissipate when the company unveils its next-generation video game console on February 20th. Meanwhile, Microsoft’s (MSFT) upcoming rival console is still very much a mystery, though pieces of the puzzle continue to come together. The latest report comes from Edge, which cites multiple unnamed people with “first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console” in claiming that the new Xbox will require an always-on internet connection to check disc registration in order to function. The report reinforces earlier rumors that Microsoft will restrict or even completely block owners’ ability to play used games.

Edge also reaffirms specs reported earlier, including a 1.6GHz eight-core AMD CPU, D3D11.x 800MHz graphics and 8GB of RAM, and it says we should expect a new Kinect sensor to launch alongside the console.

Microsoft’s next Xbox is expected to be unveiled during the E3 gaming conference this summer.

If these rumors are true then I will not be buying a new Xbox.

Microsoft's competition in the gaming industry, Sony, has been a much more player-friendly company in recent years and has caught up to Xbox in terms of graphics ability and gameplay. Some would even argue that Playstation has surpassed Xbox in those ways. But as a long time Xbox user and Microsoft supporter, I will tell you that there have been multiple shortcomings in recent times with not only Xbox but also with their PC software. As a customer, one of the biggest turn offs with Xbox is the quality of their online feature Xbox Live. Not only is access to the internet very limited, but the network goes down too often and is unreliable when playing some of their marquee games like Madden or Call of Duty. But the biggest thing that ticks me off with Xbox is that they charge you, each month, to access their network. Playstation does not charge a penny. Thats the way it SHOULD be.

More recently I have switched over completely and am a lot happier with this Mac Book than I have been with any PC, the new mini iPods are really cool too. When the next generation of gaming consoles hits the market I will defiantly be purchasing whatever the Sony made product is, even if it means me waiting a couple more years.

« : February 08, 2013, 10:18:12 AM TampaBucks05 »

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

« #6 : February 08, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »

Sold my Xbox a year or two ago and switched over to PC gaming for good. Other than a lot of games being poor console ports it's definitely the way to go.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
« #7 : February 08, 2013, 01:12:29 PM »

Sony is the one who came up with the idea so most likely the PS4 will do the same thing. Also read where it is almost impossible for the PS4 to be backwards compatible because of how different the internal cpu is.   

TheAman

Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 08, 2013, 01:44:28 PM »

Won't buy it until I see it.  Both systems would have to be the same, otherwise there would be a mass exodus from one product that the other.  It just doesn't make sense as a business proposition.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #9 : February 08, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »

Trying to kill Gamestop probably. They take used games and then sell the used game for profit. The developers don't get any royalties from that second sale.

It's about money. It's always about money.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 08, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »

Trying to kill Gamestop probably. They take used games and then sell the used game for profit. The developers don't get any royalties from that second sale.

It's about money. It's always about money.

Well and the content creators have an understandable dislike of the secondary market. I mean they make a game and only Gamestop makes money off of it. 

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

lolTampa

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 08, 2013, 05:40:51 PM »

PC gaming >>> Console gaming

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 08, 2013, 07:31:19 PM »

Someone will come up with a way to jailbreak or trick the system and play the games anyways. Always do.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 08, 2013, 08:56:55 PM »

PC gaming >>> Console gaming

Except in terms of:

Cost (any gaming rig costs more than a console)
Ease of Use (no compatibility issues, no driver problems, no need to upgrade individual elements)
Display (TV's beat monitors)
Couches vs Office Chairs
Input Devices

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Xbox 720 - reinforcing reports that used games will be unplayable « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools