Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Martellus Bennett willing to give Giants hometown discount, or may be tagged. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 08, 2013, 12:07:29 AM

Martellus Bennett | Tight End

Team:  New York Giants

Age / DOB:   (25) / 3/10/1987

Ht / Wt:   6'6' / 270

College:  Texas A&M

• 2013: Free Agent

According to ESPN New York, the Giants "hope to re-sign" free agent Martellus Bennett.They'd be foolish not to. Bennett finally began to live up to his immense potential in 2012, setting new career highs across the board with 55 catches, 626 yards and five touchdowns despite fighting through a knee injury. Still only 26 (in March), Bennett is on the record as hoping to remain in New York, going so far as to say he'd be open to a "hometown discount." Bennett could be an outside candidate for the franchise tag, which is projected as $5.962 million for tight ends.

Feb 7 - 6:57 PM

Source: ESPN New York

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 08, 2013, 12:13:41 AM

What happened to him wanting to play with his brother?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 08, 2013, 12:44:41 AM

What happened to him wanting to play with his brother?

He does, but not necessarily in Tampa. 

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 08, 2013, 07:48:44 AM

Jared Cook  it is , then .    8)

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 08, 2013, 08:10:57 AM

Too me, this is a guy that was drafted on potential, hyped up for potential, and is still being talked about because of his potential.....but he hasn't done much to earn all the attention. He may develop into a great tight end some day, but so far he has just been an under achiever. If the Bucs get him, that's fine, but honestly I'd rather draft one or even two tight ends from this draft class. It's a strong class for tight ends, and it is a position that has proven to be effective right away as rookies. If we could land Eifert in the 2nd round and then a guy like Escobar, Kelce, or McDonald in the 4th....I'd be much happier than if we just went out and paid Bennett.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 08, 2013, 08:34:53 AM

Looks like both brothers will be franchise tagged then.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 08, 2013, 09:39:51 AM

Hopefully this won't afffect DE Bennett's re-signing with the Bucs. That guy is a stud.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#7 : February 08, 2013, 10:17:31 AM

Meh, would like to see him in Pewter and Red, but wasn't set on it.  As mentioned above, there are many options out there at TE, and the ones on the roster are showing some small signs of improvement.  Not the most valuable position on the team, with the current offense.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#8 : February 08, 2013, 10:46:35 AM

If the Bucs really wanted him, they could have shown an interest last season.  I still wouldn't be surprised to see Clark back with the Bucs for one more season, hopefully to mentor the new TE we draft in the 2nd or 3rd round this season.  Stocker hasn't shown enough to be more than a 3rd TE, IMHO.  I'd really like to see our offense run more effective 2 TE sets (you know, TE's that are actually receiving threats) with VJax and MW on the outside.

El Diablo

Starter

#9 : February 08, 2013, 10:50:29 AM

Hopefully this won't afffect DE Bennett's re-signing with the Bucs. That guy is a stud.

How is he a stud? He has had 14 sacks in fours years.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 08, 2013, 10:58:30 AM

When Greg Schiano was posting over at their forums, they kept calling this guy the Black Unicorn. I really don't know where the hell that came from, but I thought it was hilarious.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 08, 2013, 11:09:26 AM

Too me, this is a guy that was drafted on potential, hyped up for potential, and is still being talked about because of his potential.....but he hasn't done much to earn all the attention. He may develop into a great tight end some day, but so far he has just been an under achiever. If the Bucs get him, that's fine, but honestly I'd rather draft one or even two tight ends from this draft class. It's a strong class for tight ends, and it is a position that has proven to be effective right away as rookies. If we could land Eifert in the 2nd round and then a guy like Escobar, Kelce, or McDonald in the 4th....I'd be much happier than if we just went out and paid Bennett.

isnt he one of the better run blocking TE's in the league?  in addition to 60 catches and 5 TD's (as a 4th option)?  and he already knows the concepts of our offense.  if we dont make a run at him no problem...but id rather him in FA than using a 2nd and a 4th on TE's.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 08, 2013, 11:29:12 AM

Maybe he could persuaded if we include a lifetime supply of cap'n crunch.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 08, 2013, 11:47:01 AM

Seems like a no brainer to me. Sign the kid.

He has run blocking down, and he can catch a few passes tossed his way. Could be a 600-5 kind if guy who would thrive in a run system featuring Muscle Hamster.

Then you back him up with Stocker, and draft a guy like Ertz. TE stable would look nice on paper.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 08, 2013, 03:21:49 PM

How is he a stud? He has had 14 sacks in fours years.

Defensive end Michael Bennett was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Seattle Seahawks in 2009. Bennett was released the same year and signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in October. In the first three years as a Buc, Bennett would record 6 sacks, force 1 fumble, and defense 1 pass. After several coaches were fired (including Head Coach/Defensive Assistant Raheem Morris) and replaced with ones who are widely thought of as more competent, Bennett would have a breakout year posting 9 sacks, forcing 3 fumbles, and defensing 2 passes. As of week 17 of the 2012 NFL season, Michael Bennett has 15 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 3 defensed passes in his progressively evolving four year career. In the NFL, Michael Bennett is expected to be one of the most sought after free agent defensive ends of 2013. 

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Martellus Bennett willing to give Giants hometown discount, or may be tagged. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools