Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Martellus Bennett willing to give Giants hometown discount, or may be tagged. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Ms Elam

Starter

#15 : February 08, 2013, 04:37:53 PM

Hopefully this won't afffect DE Bennett's re-signing with the Bucs. That guy is a stud.

How is he a stud? He has had 14 sacks in fours years.

Defensive end Michael Bennett was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Seattle Seahawks in 2009. Bennett was released the same year and signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in October. In the first three years as a Buc, Bennett would record 6 sacks, force 1 fumble, and defense 1 pass. After several coaches were fired (including Head Coach/Defensive Assistant Raheem Morris) and replaced with ones who are widely thought of as more competent, Bennett would have a breakout year posting 9 sacks, forcing 3 fumbles, and defensing 2 passes. As of week 17 of the 2012 NFL season, Michael Bennett has 15 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 3 defensed passes in his progressively evolving four year career. In the NFL, Michael Bennett is expected to be one of the most sought after free agent defensive ends of 2013.
Zing! Someone proved a point.

El Diablo

Starter

#16 : February 08, 2013, 05:55:33 PM

Hopefully this won't afffect DE Bennett's re-signing with the Bucs. That guy is a stud.

How is he a stud? He has had 14 sacks in fours years.

Defensive end Michael Bennett was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Seattle Seahawks in 2009. Bennett was released the same year and signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in October. In the first three years as a Buc, Bennett would record 6 sacks, force 1 fumble, and defense 1 pass. After several coaches were fired (including Head Coach/Defensive Assistant Raheem Morris) and replaced with ones who are widely thought of as more competent, Bennett would have a breakout year posting 9 sacks, forcing 3 fumbles, and defensing 2 passes. As of week 17 of the 2012 NFL season, Michael Bennett has 15 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, and 3 defensed passes in his progressively evolving four year career. In the NFL, Michael Bennett is expected to be one of the most sought after free agent defensive ends of 2013.
Zing! Someone proved a point.

So your point is that he has excuses as to why his numbers suck his first three years is what that says. He didn't reach his potential because coaching? I didn't use the word stud.. you know who a stud is? Jared Allen is.. guys that do it year in and year out even on awful teams. I like bennet and he is a pretty good DE but he hasn't even had a 10 sack season..

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 08, 2013, 08:36:55 PM

He's only been starting for two years, so it's no surprise he didn't have a lot of sacks before that. Pretty dumb to judge the guy off stats from his first two years. He was an undrafted free agent we took a flyer on. He had to work hard on special teams just to stay on the team. Then he had to become more than just a pass rusher to earn time playing at DE. Then he had to earn the starting job at DE. He did all of that. He started at the bottom and rose to the top thru hard work. Exactly the type of guy every coach wants. He has become just as good at stopping the run as he is at rushing the passer. He is very well rounded and a hot commodity that other teams will want. I can't imagine how a Bucs fan would refuse to give the guy his dues. He has done everything right and earned it.

Over the last two years since he been starting, he has 13 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 69 solo tackles, and 20 TFL. He's not Julius Peppers, but he's pretty damn solid.

: February 08, 2013, 08:39:46 PM JDouble

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 08, 2013, 08:41:18 PM

So your point is that he has excuses as to why his numbers suck his first three years is what that says. He didn't reach his potential because coaching? I didn't use the word stud.. you know who a stud is? Jared Allen is.. guys that do it year in and year out even on awful teams. I like bennet and he is a pretty good DE but he hasn't even had a 10 sack season..

Jared Allen is a first ballot hall of famer.
Michael Bennett is a young stud.

El Diablo

Starter

#19 : February 08, 2013, 09:38:48 PM

He's only been starting for two years, so it's no surprise he didn't have a lot of sacks before that. Pretty dumb to judge the guy off stats from his first two years. He was an undrafted free agent we took a flyer on. He had to work hard on special teams just to stay on the team. Then he had to become more than just a pass rusher to earn time playing at DE. Then he had to earn the starting job at DE. He did all of that. He started at the bottom and rose to the top thru hard work. Exactly the type of guy every coach wants. He has become just as good at stopping the run as he is at rushing the passer. He is very well rounded and a hot commodity that other teams will want. I can't imagine how a Bucs fan would refuse to give the guy his dues. He has done everything right and earned it.

Over the last two years since he been starting, he has 13 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 69 solo tackles, and 20 TFL. He's not Julius Peppers, but he's pretty damn solid.

Hey I just said I think he is pretty good. how bad it is when the fans think above average is so great.  You are correct no Julius peppers.. just because he is the best DE on this team doesn't make him **CENSORED**. He is just the best we have.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 08, 2013, 09:43:18 PM

If the Bucs really wanted him, they could have shown an interest last season.  I still wouldn't be surprised to see Clark back with the Bucs for one more season, hopefully to mentor the new TE we draft in the 2nd or 3rd round this season.  Stocker hasn't shown enough to be more than a 3rd TE, IMHO.  I'd really like to see our offense run more effective 2 TE sets (you know, TE's that are actually receiving threats) with VJax and MW on the outside.

He wasn't much of a hot free agent last season. He didn't do much in Dallas.  Be he had a nice year in NY.  So I would imagine he gets a lot more attention this time around.  That is,  if he makes it to free agency at all.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 08, 2013, 09:46:54 PM

[1] how bad it is when the fans think above average is so great. 

[2] .. just because he is the best DE on this team doesn't make him **CENSORED**. He is just the best we have.

1.) I think I see the problem, no one here called Bennett 'great'. 'Great' is something many dream of but few achieve. 'Great' is Tom Brady. 'Great' is Peyton Manning.
Studs can be found on every NFL team. A stud is a talented player. Michael Bennett is a stud. 

2.) Bennett would be one of the top two DEs on the majority of teams in the NFL, without question.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 08, 2013, 10:07:39 PM

Bennett is the only threat at DE right now,FA should focus on that this year.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 08, 2013, 10:12:28 PM

do you get rid of bowers and clayborn?  do you think we could get a 4th or 5th for either of them?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 08, 2013, 10:28:44 PM

do you get rid of bowers and clayborn?  do you think we could get a 4th or 5th for either of them?

Clayborn was solid but not there yet but the Knee injury scares me he wasn't explosive before the injury. Bowers was out for a good amount of games too. I think Bowers shines this year, a vet would make me feel better about the situation.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 08, 2013, 11:36:22 PM

Clayborn and Bennett are both question marks due to injury. Bennett is the only proven DE on the roster. We have to resign, and drafting another DE in the first three rounds isn't a bad idea either.

Maybe we can trade Freeman, our 1st, and our 2nd, to the Chiefs for their 1st and 2nd....and then take zee German and Tyler Wilson. That would shake things up eh?  ;)

zsmith22

Starter

#26 : February 09, 2013, 12:44:14 AM

Resign Michael, bring in Martellus. Simple as that. Get it done Dom!

El Diablo

Starter

#27 : February 09, 2013, 07:08:11 AM

Clayborn and Bennett are both question marks due to injury. Bennett is the only proven DE on the roster. We have to resign, and drafting another DE in the first three rounds isn't a bad idea either.

Maybe we can trade Freeman, our 1st, and our 2nd, to the Chiefs for their 1st and 2nd....and then take zee German and Tyler Wilson. That would shake things up eh?  ;)

Oh how I wish they could find a way to bring Werner here. I think he is the best player coming out in this draft class. Him and sweet belly muffintop are my one and two guys.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 09, 2013, 08:17:45 PM

Resign Michael, bring in Martellus. Simple as that. Get it done Dom!

I hope that is the way it works out.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#29 : February 10, 2013, 06:19:25 AM

Per Rotoworld:
The Tampa Tribune expects the Bucs to "go after" Martellus Bennett in free agency.Beat writer Roy Cummings says he would be "surprised if the Bucs don't target" Bennett once free agency opens on March 12. Bennett, of course, has stated his desire to return to the Giants, even saying he's open to a "hometown discount." However, Martellus' brother, Michael, has spent the last four seasons in Tampa, and is a free agent. The two have expressed interest in playing together. Feb 9 - 1:59 PM
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Martellus Bennett willing to give Giants hometown discount, or may be tagged. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools