Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs showing little interest in re-signing Roy Miller « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 12, 2013, 11:55:28 AM

Man, it's a funny topic here.

The same people calling for Freeman's head, think miller is someone we should keep?

Freaking, wow. I can only shake my head at ya..
1. You have 53 players on the roster. Not everyone can be a star and if all your players were stars, you wouldn't be able to afford them all.

2. Defensive line is a position where you can maximize a player's strengths and minimize his weaknesses by only playing him in specific situations when he can do what he's best at. Miller can stuff the run but can't rush the passer so you play him when you're pretty sure the opponent is going to run and put him on the bench when you think they're going to pass. With QB, you only play one guy for every play. He has to be at least pretty good at everything. You don't have role players.

OK, then. If I'm so wrong in my opinion, then answer a couple of questions for me.

Why do the giants have a stocked talented dL and have done so much better defensively than our team the past few years?

Or for that matter, do you want miller to be the expected "star" when McCoy is injured?

Fact is, we could put just about anyone in that position next to McCoy, Bennett, clayborn, etc and they would produce the same or better. Paying miller "FA money" would be totally against what you are saying, am I correct? He's going to be asking "star" money after all..

And as far as "afford" goes, I've seen enough teams spending and winning to know you have to do it. Sometimes you're the eagles and invest heavy in FA, only to be a laughingstock, other times it pays off. No matter what though, a team can't shake much up for good or bad if they simply don't spend. Miller is one of those guys that needs to be let go for the greater good.
: February 12, 2013, 11:57:23 AM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 12, 2013, 12:50:22 PM

Why do the giants have a stocked talented dL and have done so much better defensively than our team the past few years?

i certainly wont argue the last few years, but since schiano has been here the giants DL is only averaging 1/3 of a sack more a game...six measly sacks over the year.  and that is without the Bucs leading sack artist from the prior year.  the giants DL also gave up 4.6 ypc, over a yard more than the Bucs DL. (i do realize LB play accounts heavily here)

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 12, 2013, 01:08:42 PM

i certainly wont argue the last few years, but since schiano has been here the giants DL is only averaging 1/3 of a sack more a game...six measly sacks over the year.  and that is without the Bucs leading sack artist from the prior year.  the giants DL also gave up 4.6 ypc, over a yard more than the Bucs DL. (i do realize LB play accounts heavily here)

And were also talking about a defensive scheme in which the run is factored in heavily. Probably too heavy, but that's for a different argument. The giants line is based on consistancy and the next-man-up philosophy, so obviously it not all about talent. However, regardless of talent or not, they keep those shelves stocked full of DL so that even has a chance to blossom.

Schiano's system however, would allow anyone in Miller's position to gain tons of tackles. Because of that, I refrain from making tackles that of a big deal. There should've been more sacks (if he's so-called productive), even if the scheme was against him for it. If he had more talent, it would be showing next to McCoy. And being that McCoy only posted 5(?) Sacks, Miller doesn't seem like a lot of help.

Miller might be a good fit in this scheme, but so would a lot of other no names. If he's asking for more than a second round DT would (which he very much is), it would be a waste of money. There's no need to have another Penn on the opposite side. He's not getting Penn-money, but still, no thanks.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : February 12, 2013, 01:52:51 PM

Schiano's system however, would allow anyone in Miller's position to gain tons of tackles. Because of that, I refrain from making tackles that of a big deal. There should've been more sacks (if he's so-called productive), even if the scheme was against him for it. If he had more talent, it would be showing next to McCoy. And being that McCoy only posted 5(?) Sacks, Miller doesn't seem like a lot of help.

Miller might be a good fit in this scheme, but so would a lot of other no names. If he's asking for more than a second round DT would (which he very much is), it would be a waste of money. There's no need to have another Penn on the opposite side. He's not getting Penn-money, but still, no thanks.

what NT's rack up sacks?  i certainly think he is replaceable, but i also think he is worth giving a couple dollars so we dont have to use a 2nd round pick on a DT who isnt really going to upgrade the defense.

the whole article holder wrote is without merit imo.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 12, 2013, 02:02:23 PM

what NT's rack up sacks?  i certainly think he is replaceable, but i also think he is worth giving a couple dollars so we dont have to use a 2nd round pick on a DT who isnt really going to upgrade the defense.

the whole article holder wrote is without merit imo.

Yeah exactly. I mean it's one thing to expect a few sacks from a UT, it's ridiculous to ask for sacks from a NT.

It's not like he would be a better player if he lucked into a couple more sacks.

You know you have a terrible fanbase when you end up #1 in rushing defense and near to last in pass defense, and then there's a large group of people calling for the heads of the DTs - one of which made the Pro Bowl.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 12, 2013, 02:05:06 PM

It might be just junk writing GT.

And I get what you are saying about keeping contenuity on our side, and the fact that the position rarely produces sacks, but we're about to pay "good" money on a "average" player.

Overall, I just don't want Dom to overrate miller's skills and give him a huge contract somehow. Happened with mc80 and black.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#21 : February 12, 2013, 02:32:30 PM

Well a huge contract for a 4-3 NT would be like what Domata Peko got. 7 years 30 million. I don't think Roy Miller could get that, but I don't see why we shouldn't pay him 3 million a year which is probably what he'll end up costing.

Funny enough, Bengals fans consider him overrated because "he should have more sacks playing with Geno Atkins" when Geno Atinks wouldn't even have half of his productivity without playing with Peko.

RogerGoodellSucks

Hall of Famer

#22 : February 12, 2013, 02:37:44 PM

Man, it's a funny topic here.

The same people calling for Freeman's head, think miller is someone we should keep?

Freaking, wow. I can only shake my head at ya..

Yep. Makes you wonder if everyone is watching the same games.

I really don't care if we bring back Miller or not. He is definitely replaceable. Like Bench already said, Miller is playing a position in Schiano's D that pretty much anyone can look good in. Even Gary Gibson did a good job playing in Miller's position.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 12, 2013, 03:39:02 PM

I like him in a rotation at DT, but if he's lookin' for bigger $$$, I'd let him test the waters. Simply put, every team has X amount of $$$ to spend, and we need to spend it where we get the best value...
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs showing little interest in re-signing Roy Miller « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools