Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 335 336 337 338 339 ... 612

NittanyBuc

Starter

« #5040 : March 31, 2013, 12:28:05 AM »

i saw it earlier today... but looked for it a lil while ago and couldn't find it. Wonder if he got his wrist slapped?

https://twitter.com/DPENN70/status/317876592472891392

That has to be illegal. Especially for a player currently under contract with another team. not smart

Not sure the same rule applies to players as they do to management and coaches regarding contact with other players. Could be wrong though...

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #5041 : March 31, 2013, 12:35:25 AM »

For Bucs, Revis might be worth the risk

Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Getty Images (2012)

All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis could cost the Bucs a first- and second-round pick and $15 million in salary.

TAMPA

Trading for Darrelle Revis is pushing all the chips to the middle of the table for Bucs GM Mark Dominik and coach Greg Schiano, especially considering the Jets cornerback still is recovering from a torn left ACL.

The Bucs, accor­ding to various media reports, are willing to part with their first- and second-round pick in 2014 (the Jets would like a first-rounder in next month's draft) and pay the three-time All-Pro $15 million per season.

It's a crazy, ridiculously expensive, risky proposition. And you know what? It might be worth the gamble.

The Bucs haven't reached the postseason in five years. They haven't won a playoff game in 10.

Sometimes, teams make bold, dynamic moves to push them over the top. Need proof? Look no further than the Bucs.

After the 2001 season, having fired coach Tony Dungy despite making the playoffs four times in six seasons, the Glazer family dealt two first-round picks, two second-rounders and $8 million to the Raiders for coach Jon Gruden.

Granted, that team had a Super Bowl-ready defense. It also benefited from a trade with the Jets prior to the 2000 season, acquiring WR Keyshawn Johnson for two first-round picks.

In essence, the Bucs mortgaged a huge piece of their future in exchange for a Lombardi Trophy.

Revis, 27, might not push the Bucs from 7-9 to a confetti shower in February. But the draft also has a large failure rate. That might be more true when you pick 13th overall, as the Bucs do this year. If they select a defensive back, they will pray he's 70 percent as good as Revis.

"I think anybody would like to have, theoretically, guys you think can be shutdown corners," Dominik said. "Those are really hard to find. They are rare, so that makes them an interesting commodity.

"We go into the draft every year, and everybody thinks maybe that's the guy. But there's very few of them, and when they come out, it's pretty noticeable who they are. The other guys are good and solid and dependable, but they never get to that elite status because they're just so hard to find."

Said Schiano: "Any coach would tell you if you take away the No. 1 receiver on a football team, it will make your job easier."

Teams have become more reluctant to give up draft picks because of the rookie salary cap. The guaranteed money is significantly lower under the new labor deal, guaranteeing four seasons of reasonable salary cap hits. Furthermore, no team will want to rent Revis, who can become a free agent after this season. So he can refuse to negotiate a long-term deal and, thus, block a trade.

On the other hand, Revis' contract prevents the Jets from designating him their franchise player, so they run the risk of getting nothing for him if he remains in New York.

On March 1, the Jets paid Revis a $1 million roster bonus. Additional $1 million payments are due this summer. One is at the end of June if Revis completes 83 percent of his offseason workouts and 85 percent of organized team activities. Another is due when the Jets report to training camp. His base salary for 2013 is $3 million.

If the Jets are serious about trading Revis — and the Bucs have their doubts — it will most likely happen before the draft.

BUCS DONE? With free agency slowing to a trickle, most teams are busy evaluating the draft. Schiano said fans should not be worried about the slow pace of signings by the Bucs. "It would be uncomfortable if we didn't have a plan," he said. "I think we have a plan. Do plans always come off 100 percent to design? No, but we have good, young players, and we're going to continue to pursue guys in free agency. We're going to draft well, and that's how we're going to build our team."

ROOKIES PLAY: Revis or no Revis, the team plans to draft a cornerback (or two), and Schiano has no problem playing them as rookies. "In this day and age, I think the guys coming out of college are very well-prepared. And I think our coaches are excellent teachers, so I have no issues playing rookies," he said. "Our first three picks (last season) played 48 games. We'll do that again, God willing."

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #5042 : March 31, 2013, 12:41:30 AM »

Bucs-Revis talks to heat up again soon

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
The Bucs must decide soon how much they're willing to give up for CB Darrelle Revis.

By Roy Cummings 
Published: March 30, 2013

TAMPA -

The Buccaneers are beginning to set up their war room for the NFL draft, but already a 5-foot-11, 198-pound elephant has taken up residence there.

Its name is Darrelle Revis.

Talk of a Revis trade to the Bucs has cooled to a simmer, but it will heat up again as the draft approaches, and so might the Bucs’ interest in dealing their 2013 first-round pick for the Jets cornerback.

The Bucs are holding on tight to that 13th overall selection, in part because it’s too soon to know how this year’s draft will play out — even at the top — and what it could bring them. And that’s wise.

Though most draft experts say the elite players at the positions the Bucs need to fill mostly will be gone by the time the 13th selection comes, predictions of that nature have gone awry before — sometimes to the Bucs’ benefit.

In 1995, Warren Sapp was a consensus top-five selection, but the Bucs grabbed with the 12th overall pick. In 2011, Da’Quan Bowers was a consensus top-10 talent that the Bucs snatched with the 51st pick.

Until they have a better feel for what will be available to them at No.?13 or what another team other than the Jets might want to give up for that 13th pick, the Bucs are likely to hold on to it.

But what if the mock drafts are right and Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner, Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd and Utah defensive tackle Star Lotulelei — three players the Bucs no doubt covet — are gone when Tampa Bay’s first pick comes around?

What if the Bucs don’t like or feel a pressing need for any of the players available to them at 13 and no one affords them the opportunity to trade down to where it makes sense to draft either cornerback Desmond Trufant or cornerback Xavier Rhodes?

That’s when the 13th pick might become less valuable and when it might start to make sense to trade it as part of a deal that brings in Revis.

As the situation stands, the most sensible thing to do is stand firm and continue to try to force the Jets into accepting nothing better than a pick (or two) from their 2014 cache.

Those will be valuable picks, too, but keep in mind that after winning seven games last season and being close enough to have possibly won eight or nine, the Bucs believe they can win nine or 10 games in 2013.

That means they envision themselves making the playoffs and picking somewhere between 20th and 32nd in 2014, and a pick in that range is a lot easier to surrender than one in the top 15.

It’s equally as difficult for the Jets to accept, but New York is the team dealing from the weaker position here. Sure, the Jets have an asset, but if it’s true they need to unload that asset, they’ll eventually accept the Bucs’ bid.

The Wright stuff Bucs fans might shriek, but I think it’s time they start getting used to the idea of cornerback Eric Wright coming back and wearing red and pewter again in 2013.

The decision not to delve into what most NFL scouts agree is a very shallow and muddy pool of free-agent corners is one reason the Bucs appear to be leaning toward retaining Wright, but there’s more to it than that.

The Bucs spent two years chasing Wright and wound up overpaying to get him last year, but they still like his skill set and upside and believe he can still be an asset if he can smarten up.

“He has been a reliable player,’’ Bucs coach Greg Schiano said of Wright, who became a lot less reliable after he was suspended four games for Adderall use last year.

“He had some things that kind of tripped him up (last year), but he has been reliable — not only here but in other places where coaches on our staff have been with him. If I didn’t feel there was good there, we would have already separated from him, but there is good there.’’

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #5043 : March 31, 2013, 12:44:44 AM »

i saw it earlier today... but looked for it a lil while ago and couldn't find it. Wonder if he got his wrist slapped?

https://twitter.com/DPENN70/status/317876592472891392

That has to be illegal. Especially for a player currently under contract with another team. not smart
I doubt it

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #5044 : March 31, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »

If you're the jets, you can get picks for the 2014 draft through next season.  If the Bucs don't capitulate on the 1st this yr then they should just wait to see who else comes to the table.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #5045 : March 31, 2013, 01:32:41 AM »

Is that really even Penn? Seems odd he would use a stock picture that pops up on google search as his avatar.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #5046 : March 31, 2013, 01:34:44 AM »

Its subjective enough that it would slide, but you have to believe he's getting complained at from someone in FO or NFL office.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #5047 : March 31, 2013, 01:39:26 AM »

Is that really even Penn? Seems odd he would use a stock picture that pops up on google search as his avatar.

Yes

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Jeremy Lin

Rookie

« #5048 : March 31, 2013, 01:44:34 AM »

Wouldnt it be exciting or not to see the commissioner of the NFL on April 25 say with the 13th pick the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select oh im sorry trade to the New York Jets. The Jets are now on the clock. Radio City Music Hall would go crazy!! Haha good drama for the draft.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #5049 : March 31, 2013, 01:45:22 AM »

Not exciting!

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

pewtergirl2010

Second String

« #5050 : March 31, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »

I really feel that the Bucs hold all of the cards in the Revis situation. If in fact the above scenario is true and certain players are gone when the 13th comes around then I can see the Bucs willing to trade that pick to the Jets. But I would only give them the 13. They had a chance for a 1 and a 2 in 2014, so now you tell them they onlyget this years 1st. If they balk at that offer,  the Bucs can then try and trade back. If no one is willing to do so then go ahead and draft either Rhodes or Trufant. The bottom line is we know that the Bucs really want Revis and that the Jets really have to or want get rid of him. We have options the Jets don't.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #5051 : March 31, 2013, 07:17:23 AM »

The Jets have him. We don't. Don't fool yourself. Losing faith he will ever be a buc.

In Verner We Trust

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #5052 : March 31, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »

@revis24
Darrelle Revis

Just had a talk with Mah Sources. It's lookin like palm trees on Revis Island next season. 

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #5053 : March 31, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »

that's what i was thinkin

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

« #5054 : March 31, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »

Yes

I love that you're the one who responded to this. Because, you know, Spoolios is always truthful about Twitter.

Page: 1 ... 335 336 337 338 339 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools