Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 361 362 363 364 365 ... 612

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#5430 : April 04, 2013, 04:01:59 PM

Peter King says:

RICK DOESN'T THINK REVIS IS WORTH TWO HIGH DRAFT PICKS. "Trading that much for Darrelle Revis is a bad idea. The Bucs are not one player away from winning it all. Revis has proven himself as a player more focused on his contract and he uses the media to push that agenda. Greg Schiano isn't the type of coach to condone that. The Bucs are a young team. I am not sure Revis is the type of player you want mentoring your young players. I say one second-round pick and a contract worth no more than $9 million a year considering the current CB market would be a fair trade.''

-- Rick, Providence.

That's not going to get it done -- either in compensation paid to the Jets, or contract paid to Revis. You may be right about the Bucs not being close. But I will say that they were playing well at the start of last year, and if Josh Freeman can be a B quarterback, they acquire Revis, and Revis stays healthy, there is no reason why Tampa Bay can't win 10 games and be a playoff contender.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130402/carson-palmer-tony-romo-colt-mccoy-peter-king/#ixzz2PW5i4dr2

I respect Peter King, but "there is no reason why Tampa Bay can't win 10 games and be a playoff contender."   WITHOUT Revis.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#5431 : April 04, 2013, 04:18:55 PM

We're far away? Why do people say that? We're not even favorites in our division, but  we could very easily be in a similar situation to Flacco and the Ravens at the end of the year, 10-6 headed to the playoffs. Once you're in, you have as much shot as anyone. So the question should be, not are we one player from away from being the best roster in the NFL, because that is really what people mean when they say that, but rather could Revis give us a legitimate shot at the playoffs and considering our conference, I say he helps us as much or more than most other teams. No one thinks the Ravens had the best overall roster top to bottom, that was clearly the 49ers but it's not about that anymore. It's about, can you get hot and go on a run in the playoffs. How many times have wild card teams won the superbowl in the last 5 years? I can think of 3 off the top of my head.

So the question must not be, does Revis make us the best roster but rather can Revis really give us a better shot at making it to the playoffs. I think he does.
I'd love to hear those 3 off the top of your head being as the Packers were the only wildcard team to do it, all 4 of the others were at least division winners.
There is a massive difference between being a division winner that gets home field in the WC round and a wild card team that has to go 3 straight on the road just to get to the big game.
The thing with those teams is that they tend to "get hot" while they are still in the playoff hunt thanks to their regular level of play, with the Bucs we get hot and it only puts us in position to miss out on the playoffs thanks to the poor level of our regular play.

Packers and Giants x2 and Steelers, I believe. Giants may have been divisional champs one of those times.

Freeman was hottest QB in the league this year for a month and a week. If we make it, he can light up and carry us. A lot of ifs here but my point holds. It's about making the playoffs and getting our shot, not about being the best top to bottom roster.
Steelers & Giants as wild cards wasn't in the past 5, the ones they did win during that period were as division winners. Packers are the only one that fit your claim.
The big problem with the "get hot"  idea is Freeman doesn't get hot against good teams, he does it against the BAD ones and then stinks against the good ones.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5432 : April 04, 2013, 04:21:56 PM

Agreed, TBT...you gotta show the ability to play well against the good team that you will be facing in the playoffs, before the "anything can happen" example can be applied.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#5433 : April 04, 2013, 04:23:54 PM

Bucs will be 34MM under the cap once they dump Wright and people are still stressing about the cap. Really? 13mil is what the top corner in the league is worth now. You've got QBs getting 25. Revis is a difference maker in a league full of parity. The best at his position and it IS an important one. Only 27 years old. You go get a guy like that.
That's great looking at it as a 1 year investment, what about the years that come after?
It's great to just spend & spend this year because you have the room but it's shortsighted.
2014 cap numbers (based on current contracts and predictions)...
Revis - 13Mil
Freeman - 14Mil (that is very reasonable if he earn a new deal, if anything it's too low)
Williams - 8Mil
McCoy - 13Mil
Jackson - 12.5Mil
Nicks - 9.5Mil
Goldson $9Mil
That's just 7 players taking up near 80Mil of a 125Mil salary cap, good luck fielding a solid overall team when the other 46 guys have to come in under 45Mil combined.
Lets see...
Barron alone takes $4M, so that's now 45 guys at under 41Mil
Dougie is almost 2Mil so now it's 44 at under 39Mil
Bowers & Clayborn are set at 4Mil, so it's 42 under 35mil
That's roughly a 5th of the roster (and only half the starters needed) taking up roughly 72% of the salary cap.

No wonder we are keeping the likes of Myron Lewis, that's the calibre of player we will be able to afford to fill those 42 roster spots.
This is how you get into a mess like the Jets have, with too much cap invested in too few players, it leads to awful depth and substandard starters at more positions that is realistic.
Add in the cost of giving up high picks to get Revis, I mean without them we are missing chances to get a few more good quality players at a cheap cost.

The cost of Revis is simpy too high, no matter how good he is on the field.

Your completely wrong. First of all Williams won't make 8 million per year, McCoy will be signed to an extension at some point reducing his cap number, and your forgetting the TV money hits in 2014 and the cap with increase dramatically . Our cap situation is more than favorable for years to come and giving Revis $13 million per year will not affect in anyway this teams ability to make acquisitions down the road.
For starters it's a commonly known fact that the league expects the cap to remain flat until at least 2015 despite the new TV deal kicking in, so how exactly does that alter 2014 or 2015 for that matter?
It's been known for a while now that they don't expect the cap to go up beyond $122 million for the 2015 season (I guess we can knock another 3 or 4 million off what we would have left in my example being as I was working with a figure of $125 million)
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/06/18/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-cap.aspx
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7744901/nfl-soaring-revenues-coincide-salary-cap-growth

You really don't think Williams will get $8 million a year?
Mike Wallace is an inferior wideout to Mike and he just pulled a contract averaging $12 milion.
The nobody that is Brian Hartine just got a deal pulling in over $6million a year, Danny Amendola got the same for being on IR.
Dwayne Bowe is over $11 million a year.
Percy Harvin got over $11 million per year for producing less than Mike.
If you think we can get Mike back at anything less than $8 million you are deluding yourself, it will be a case of pay him at least that or lose him, if anything we will struggle to keep him at $8mil per.

As for McCoy, you might get him to restructure but it won't drop his number much more than 3 or 4 million, he's on the books for at least $2.3 million next year no matter what thanks to bonuses, then you have to give him a salary that matches his Pro Bowl level of play, maybe another bonus.
He's not going to play for peanuts when he can just as easily force the tem to pay him  or cut him so he can go to a team that will pay him. I guess his reduction will offset the too high cap figure I was working with and give us maybe $2 million extra to work with... WOW.

So basically you told me I was completely wrong while talking out your butt.

lol @ mike williams is superior to mike wallace..talk about homerism.
Wallace is a one trick pony that had a far better QB and receiving partner (until we got Jax) to take the pressure off him.
You just wait and see the results in Miami now he doesn't have that advantage.
: April 04, 2013, 04:25:43 PM TBTrojan

m_j

Starter

#5434 : April 04, 2013, 04:35:11 PM

I'm gettin more and more the feeling that Dom does not want to give up #13  (but next years pick) for Revis cuz he wants to trade up for Millner.
That would solve all our CB problems but we have quite a few other needs , I am afraid that could cost too much in the end
just my feeling
: April 04, 2013, 04:47:06 PM m_j

Goldson38

Rookie
#5435 : April 04, 2013, 04:35:25 PM

Mike Williams would command a contract similar to Hartline, amendola, welker. He's not a #1, the Bucs know that, thats why they went out and grabbed a #1 last year and paid him like a #1. No team in the league views him as a #1 period.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#5436 : April 04, 2013, 04:53:25 PM

Mike Williams would command a contract similar to Hartline, amendola, welker. He's not a #1, the Bucs know that, thats why they went out and grabbed a #1 last year and paid him like a #1. No team in the league views him as a #1 period.
You really are deluded, not one team will view him as a #1?
Did you not see the Jags go out and give a complete nobody like Laurent Robinson $6.5 million a year after he had a single Williams like year, that after 4 years where he had averaged 250 yards and 1 TD.
How about those guys the Skins signed to help RG3.
Mike will get paid and somebody will see him as a #1.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#5437 : April 04, 2013, 05:06:14 PM

Unless we sign him to an extension, which has been in the plans for after the draft.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#5438 : April 04, 2013, 05:32:49 PM

If we can keep Mike Williams in Tampa, it'll be a miracle. We need to, though. VJax has two or three good years left.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#5439 : April 04, 2013, 06:13:29 PM

You know, I got to thinking, how did the Bucs perform versus playoff teams last year, and could Revis have actually made a difference? Let's look:

First playoff team: loss to Redskins 24-22 - Could Revis have been instrumental in stopping the Redskins offense in this one? RG3 was 26/35 for 323 yards with no TDs. The damage was done on the ground where Alfred Morris rushed for over 100 with a TD and RG3 scored another. Cundiff had a late FG after the 'Skins drove 56 yards with 7 plays over 1:39. Would Revis been able to stop them?

Next: win over Vikings 36-17 - This was Dougie's coming out party and a chance for our Bucs to shine on national TV. It was a fun game to watch and a great win for our guys.

Next: loss to Falcons 24-23 - This one hurt. We were winning, needing to prevent the TD. Turner broke the defense's back and ran it in on a 3 yard scamper. Does Revis force a three-and-out somewhere on that drive?

Next: loss to Broncos 31-23 - I was proud of the team and the coaches in this one. We stuck with a very basic cover-two shell the whole game. Sit home and play your zone. It worked well. With our guys not worried about trying to confuse a QB who is possibly the G.O.A.T., we hung with the Broncos well until the second half. The 2nd quarter was a 10-7 slugfest (in our favor!) until Manning came out of the locker room and banged in two scores almost back-to-back. Freeman threw a pick six and it felt like the game was over. We fought back and had three scoring drives after that, two for FGs and one for a TD. It wasn't enough, though. How does Revis change this game?

Next: win over Falcons 22-17 - You can say the Falcons shut it down or were only playing for the playoffs. To me, our team looked scrappy and fresh out there and gave the Falcons a spanking. I thought we played well, I think their team played us hard, and I think this was a good win for us.

So how does Revis help us against playoff teams?

Not only that game we also would have won against the Giants, Cowboys and Saints. This Revis commotion makes us all forget about Dashon Goldson as well he himself could have won us the 1st Saints Game and the Redskins games that gets us to a 9-7 Record. Him AND Revis gets us all the way to 11-13 wins IMO. I say we win every game except the one against the Rams and Saints. Those might also be debatable because if we won the other games then we wouldn't have been in a slump.

In 1 sentence Dashon Goldson gives us a shot to make the playoffs... Him AND Revis makes us Super Bowl contenders IMO. Nobody other then us has this much young talent and potential on our team.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#5440 : April 04, 2013, 06:14:54 PM

I would say Mike Williams is due for a 6-8 Mill $ per year extension but I'm sure Dom will pay him as much as he can in the first season so that next year he will have a minimal contract number

m_j

Starter

#5441 : April 04, 2013, 06:31:02 PM

In 1 sentence Dashon Goldson gives us a shot to make the playoffs... Him AND Revis makes us Super Bowl contenders IMO. Nobody other then us has this much young talent and potential on our team.

yes, in a dream where freeman suddenly explodes and we become first team in history to go thru the season without losing a single starter
seams you forgot  we have zero depth! draming is not forbidden, but wake up!

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5442 : April 04, 2013, 06:37:53 PM

BF18...might want to take of the homer-shades.

No matter who was on defense...we would have lost the Dallas game...the defense actually played very very well in that game.
May have won the Giants and Saints games.
As far as Goldson getting us a full two more wins against the Skins' and Saints...that's crazy talk. We had decent play from the safety position in both of those games.
Goldson is a good player...but you are overvaluing him. He isn't going to have 3 All-Pro LBs in front of him along with an EXCELLENT pass rush..and good CBs to ease his coverage duties.
Super Bowl contenders...is laughable...and no...there are plenty of other teams that have just as much young talent and potential as we do.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5443 : April 04, 2013, 06:41:16 PM

yes, in a dream where freeman suddenly explodes and we become first team in history to go thru the season without losing a single starter
seams you forgot  we have zero depth! draming is not forbidden, but wake up!

we've got more depth than you give credit for.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#5444 : April 04, 2013, 06:46:16 PM

If looked at on a scale from 0-10....I wouldn't say that our depth was at a 0...but I wouldn't put it anywhere above a 3.

Page: 1 ... 361 362 363 364 365 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools