Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 612

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#60 : February 19, 2013, 05:17:13 PM

I will say Revis fits this D scheme better than most anyone if healthy. Is a high contraft orth the risk is the question. The Bucs will spend a high pick and look to spend on a Fa Cb either way. Wrighs contract should tell you any top Fa cb regadless of skill level is going to cost a pretty penny.

The question the would become whats the greater value/risk? Wright at 7.5mil and another high priced Fa cb or Revis and his injury for about the same amount. Honestly id have more faith in revis even though im not too keen on the idea.

Whoever said revis was injury prone is wrong. Last season was the only time hes missed any significant time and you have to go back 2 year prior to find any missed games due and they were due to a hammy. Aside from last year hes only missed 3 games in his career.

As far as age, dude is 27 and will turn 28 early in the year. Not old at all when you consider many of the greats play cb until close to their mid 30s.

I think many of the qualms presented are false. The only real issue is his health and attitude vs the salary he will command. Everything else is just people trying to find reasons to say no.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#61 : February 19, 2013, 05:44:14 PM

n/m Bowers.....giving up draft top draft picks with all the holes we have is insane.

Some undrafteds will be good enough.... ::)

But seriously, if we don't nab at least one good/ great corner, we might as well chalk this season up as another goose egg.

Man...I am still a believer of if your front 7 does its job without exception (enter 99-02 Bucs) the back 5 don't matter.

BRING ON DE WERNER!!!!!
ahhhh....I know, not gonna happen but one can dream.

You're not looking at the difference of defensive systems though. Kiffs system created a bend, don't break belief, but rode it's success with the help of a couple of linemen. Mostly, everyone had help out there as well. Someone was always hovering close to the next guy. In schiano's system however, many times does the corner get left to fend for himself because of the constant blitzing schiano does. We can argue chicken or egg all day with this.

And Werner will be a baller. You're damn right about that. A DE group with clayborn, Bennett, and Werner would be a formitable group. Still, there has to be talent back there in this sytem. We saw it exposed all year long last year and I cannot bare to watch it bleed any longer. CB is still priority number one, but DE just went up the list for sure.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#62 : February 19, 2013, 05:47:15 PM

I think the Bucs are a candidate in connecting the dots of available salary and need. I think it's an easy prediction to make that the Bucs would be interested, but I don't think anything beyond speculation connects them (though I'm usually wrong about stuff).

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#63 : February 19, 2013, 05:57:33 PM

I will say Revis fits this D scheme better than most anyone if healthy. Is a high contraft orth the risk is the question. The Bucs will spend a high pick and look to spend on a Fa Cb either way. Wrighs contract should tell you any top Fa cb regadless of skill level is going to cost a pretty penny.

The question the would become whats the greater value/risk? Wright at 7.5mil and another high priced Fa cb or Revis and his injury for about the same amount. Honestly id have more faith in revis even though im not too keen on the idea.

Whoever said revis was injury prone is wrong. Last season was the only time hes missed any significant time and you have to go back 2 year prior to find any missed games due and they were due to a hammy. Aside from last year hes only missed 3 games in his career.

As far as age, dude is 27 and will turn 28 early in the year. Not old at all when you consider many of the greats play cb until close to their mid 30s.

I think many of the qualms presented are false. The only real issue is his health and attitude vs the salary he will command. Everything else is just people trying to find reasons to say no.

I too believe revis would be the best corner for this defense. Also, I would like to think there is more to this than just talk.

Dom might be inclined to pull the trigger on this one, seeing how his fA panned out last season, and the fact that if they don't produce well this upcoming season both schiano and dom might be looking for a new job. The only thing stopping them might be the glazers.

The stars really are in alignment on this one imo.. We'll have to see what happens.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Sailing2smth

Starter

#64 : February 19, 2013, 06:13:46 PM

n/m Bowers.....giving up draft top draft picks with all the holes we have is insane.

Some undrafteds will be good enough.... ::)

But seriously, if we don't nab at least one good/ great corner, we might as well chalk this season up as another goose egg.

Man...I am still a believer of if your front 7 does its job without exception (enter 99-02 Bucs) the back 5 don't matter.

BRING ON DE WERNER!!!!!
ahhhh....I know, not gonna happen but one can dream.

You're not looking at the difference of defensive systems though. Kiffs system created a bend, don't break belief, but rode it's success with the help of a couple of linemen. Mostly, everyone had help out there as well. Someone was always hovering close to the next guy. In schiano's system however, many times does the corner get left to fend for himself because of the constant blitzing schiano does. We can argue chicken or egg all day with this.

And Werner will be a baller. You're damn right about that. A DE group with clayborn, Bennett, and Werner would be a formitable group. Still, there has to be talent back there in this sytem. We saw it exposed all year long last year and I cannot bare to watch it bleed any longer. CB is still priority number one, but DE just went up the list for sure.

I was just talking sh!!t really.

There is a big difference between the defense the Bucs ran then and are running now...obviously.  Personally I wish that they would cool it on the stunts/blitzes but thats just me.
If they were hitting home then ok, but most of the time the back guys are left exposed.  I suppose thats why I was clamoring to bring back the staff of Lovie, Kiffen, and Marinelli.  Again, I knew that it was not going to happen, but again....just a dream of what could have been.

But back to your point, I can see why you say that Revis would be a welcomed addition and yes he would be.  Any team should want his services.  The man can lock down a side of a field by himself......he is an absolutely athletically gifted player.
And we do need a guy that can defend his side by himself.

But I still want DE Werner as I think that he would be able to help and increase the play of the guys around him.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#65 : February 19, 2013, 06:20:34 PM

Zee German!!!!

Sailing2smth

Starter

#66 : February 19, 2013, 06:24:29 PM

Zee German!!!!

Ya know, I am stationed in Germany.

Most Germans don't even have that thick accent when they speak English.  Most pretend that they can't so for to be intrigued when they can.  And vice versa.....
But yes...I want (in your words) "Zee German" to wear the Buc uniform as I think that he can most prove an impact on the field, support the guys around him and make them better.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#67 : February 19, 2013, 07:00:24 PM

Signing him would be great. But the Jets just cleared 30 million. Maybe they bring him back.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#68 : February 19, 2013, 07:51:48 PM

that $30 mil that they cleared only puts them $5 under the cap

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#69 : February 19, 2013, 08:05:13 PM

Fortune favors the bold . Make it happen Dummynik !

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

germcanbuc

Pro Bowler
#70 : February 19, 2013, 08:14:37 PM

Zee German!!!!

Im totally on board. I was before this whole gun thing. Heres hoping he falls to us.

Check out www.reverbnation.com/nickfreddy and follow me on twitter @nick_freddy

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#71 : February 19, 2013, 08:17:16 PM

I would love to see Revis as a Buc. But at what overall cost?

Hate

Hall of Famer
#72 : February 19, 2013, 08:22:47 PM

What would you be will to give up and pay him?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#73 : February 19, 2013, 08:27:03 PM

First this year, and next years second.  Paying him is another matter. Not sure what his wants are going to be.  But I would balk at 20 per.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#74 : February 19, 2013, 08:29:44 PM

First this year, and next years second.  Paying him is another matter. Not sure what his wants are going to be.  But I would balk at 20 per.

He wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league....which would put him at $20 mil. Are you good with that?

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 612
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Darrelle Revis « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools