Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Buccaneers have plenty of cap space for free agency « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« : February 12, 2013, 11:55:40 AM »

Tampa Bay Buccaneers have plenty of cap space for free agency

TAMPA --

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made one of the biggest splashes in the NFL's free agency talent pool last year. Now the Bucs are poised to stir the waters in a big way again.

The Bucs have $30.1 million worth of available cap space to work with for the March 12 start of free agency, the fifth most of the league's 32 teams, according to an accounting on NFL.com.

A good chunk of that space – about $23 million – came as a result of the Bucs reworking the 2013 contracts for two of last season's free agent prizes.

Pro Bowl receiver Vincent Jackson and former Pro Bowl left guard Carl Nicks agreed to rework their contracts in a way that turned the majority of their 2013 salaries into guaranteed bonuses.

That allowed the Bucs to pro-rate the bulk of Jackson's $13 million salary and Nicks' $12.5 million salary over the final four years of each player's contract, creating extra cap space for 2013.

"That has actually opened a lot of cap room for us going into 2013 – a tremendous amount," Bucs general manager Mark Dominik said. "We've got a chance to be (heavily) involved in free agency again.

"But we also have a chance to try to retain this nucleus of players. So (the contract restructuring) was a big commitment that our owners made and I think that should be encouraging for all fans about our football team."

The Bucs have traditionally entered the free-agent marketplace focused on re-signing their own free agents, but they took a dramatic turn a year ago when they immediately signed Jackson, Nicks and cornerback Eric Wright.

Tampa Bay later added tight end Dallas Clark and backup quarterback Dan Orlovsky to help round out an offense that wound up setting franchise records for yards (5,820) and points scored (389).

The Bucs free-agent focus could turn to the defensive side of the ball this year as the team tries to correct a pass defense that last year allowed 4,758 yards, ranked last in the league.

The Bucs are expected to target primarily cornerbacks but may also seek a linebacker to replace Quincy Black, whose future with the team is in jeopardy after a neck injury that left him with nerve damage late last season.

As usual, the Bucs will also attempt to re-sign some of their own free agents, including Clark, starting safety Ronde Barber, starting left end Michael Bennett and starting right tackle Demar Dotson.

The NFL projects a salary cap for the 2013 season of $121 million and lists the Cincinnati Bengals as having the most available cap space with $50.6 million.

The New York Jets have the least, $23 million over the projected salary cap.

Among the Bucs' NFC South rivals, New Orleans is $20.6 million over the cap, Carolina is $13.7 million over and Atlanta is $2.1 million under.

Roy Cummings, TBO.com

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 12, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »

Hope they use it again. I was shocked last year they did as they wouldnt in the past. This year Im kind of expecting they go out and grab another guy in FA. If they are serious about building this team into a legit contender, they go get a vet on defense to help out.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 12, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »

a couple more good signings would be good to attract some more season ticket holders -

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #3 : February 12, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »

a couple more good signings would be good to attract some more season ticket holders -

Very true. Fans havent seen much commitment outside of those signings last season. If they did it again, fans would see the Glazers are serious about putting a winner out there. You would have thought they would see that last year but I think they wanted to see actual results. They didnt really get a whole lot of that this past season but I think anybody could see that they are pretty close and actually did take a step forward this last year. Fans just want playoffs and rightfully so. Its really been a long time before we really got excited about a team. Even in 2010 you knew that team wasnt going anywhere special as they were still a bunch of kids. I think they could have made some things happen in playoffs but I doubt they would have made it past second round in playoffs. Team wasnt ready yet. I think they are ready now to take it to another level but they do need some help. Hopefully FA is used again and the team is able to stay relatively healthy this go around. If they do I think playoffs isnt that far outside of reality.

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #4 : February 12, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »

I wonder how much leeway Dom has when it comes to spending the boys money?

dbrooks55

Starter

« #5 : February 12, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »

I wonder how much leeway Dom has when it comes to spending the boys money?
Probably alot...it's this year or next that under the new CBA you have to use 95% of your salary cap...something like that!

captainjimbo

Pro Bowler

« #6 : February 12, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »

That being the case there are no excuses for Dom.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 12, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »

I fully expect them to spend. If not, it's a very bad signal to fans.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 12, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »

I fully expect them to spend. If not, it's a very bad signal to fans.

having Nicks and Jackson restructure indicates they will, right?

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
« #9 : February 12, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

Does that $30.1 million number doesn't include what we could have if we cut Wright and Black (not sure how the injury affects this)?  I thought we'd be closer to 45.

BucsWin31

Starter

« #10 : February 12, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »

I would think we would. I never understood the "we can't afford him" talk (i.e Percy Harvin). If these guys are serious about winning you paid money.

zsmith22

Starter

« #11 : February 12, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »

If we can bring in 2 solid corners(Sean Smith and Derek Cox come to mind) and draft a guy in the 2/3 round, our CB situation is fixed IMO. And if we can add a dangerous slot man/returner like Marquise Goodwin, watch our for this team next year.

BucsWin31

Starter

« #12 : February 12, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »

I'd wish we'd shock the world and sign Mike Wallace...that would be too clutch

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 12, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »

I'd wish we'd shock the world and sign Mike Wallace...that would be too clutch

can he play corner?

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : February 12, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »

$30.1 Million And Counting

This post is about numerical gibberish, but at least it’s accurate.

The folks at NFL.com have laid out how much 2013 salary cap space every team has to play with (as of now) for the start of unrestricted free-agency in four weeks. Team Glazer and the New Schiano Order are sitting pretty with $30.1 million. That’s fifth most in the NFL, thanks in large part to restructured contracts for Carl Nicks and Vincent Jackson, in addition to rolled over cap money in the neighborhood of $8 million to $10 million, so noted NBC Sports last week. (Joe wonders whether the $2 million or so saved by suspension to Aqib Talib and Eric Wright are in that total?)

What’s even more exciting for Bucs fans who want to see rockstar general manager again go all gunslinger with Team Glazer’s vault this offseason, is that $30.1 million available does not factor in the realities that Eric Wright and his fat contract likely will be cut and Quincy Black will be a medical casualty, which would deflate his bloated paycheck.

Those moves could leave the Bucs in the neighborhood of $40 million to toss around, though extending Mike Williams’ contract could take a bite out of that. Keep in mind team’s are obligated to spend under the new labor agreement.

Savvy official Buccaneers blogger Scott Smith notes that the Bucs’ NFC South rivals aren’t in nearly as good shape. Some are even over the salary cap (committed cash for 2013) right now.

On the aforementioned list, New Orleans ranks 30th ($20.6 million over), Carolina ranks 29th ($13.7 million over) and Atlanta ranks 20th ($2.1 million under).

Joe knows the Bucs will be active in free agency, though they might not be a splash player like they were last season, instead landing sound starters without sexy names. The league would consider re-signing Michael Bennett to the huge payday he’ll command a “splash,” but Joe knows Bucs fans won’t get all crazy over that.

http://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php?action=post2;board=2
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Buccaneers have plenty of cap space for free agency « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools