Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Dom be Fired if the Bucs do not make the playoffs in 2013? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 12, 2013, 04:20:59 PM

you guys are kidding about the talent level going into the 2009 season, right?  what good would it have done to field the all geriatric team? 

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 12, 2013, 04:24:51 PM

Dominik inherited a disaster? News to me. Was a roster that went 9-7, had plenty of cap space, had plenty of draft picks.

Dom was part of the decision to completely purge the roster and "go young" across the board. The worse thing that Dom inherited was that 2009 schedule.

To say that he has "some" contract errors, is an understatement. Even with foundation-type players added in the past year in V-Jax, Martin, David, and Nicks...the foundation overall is still nothing special.

Is there even one player from the 2008 team that started for another team in 2009?

Its foolish to think Jeff Garcia, Dunn, Brooks, Buchanon, Spurlock, Matt Bryant, (and maybe even Galloway) couldn't have contributed and at least could've eased the transition....regardless of whether they went to another team after they were cut.

The fact remains, they didn't. Facts are facts. Opinions are opinions. What you've got is an opinion.

There are a lot of veteran players who don't garner much interest later in their careers. Case in point would be Ray Lewis. He was allowed to test the market and came back to Ravens for a reasonable price. Those players would have added much needed vet leadership.

Also...I'm curious...

Would you consider the below a "fact" or "opinion"?

Greg Schiano is exactly the right coach to lead the Bucs to more Lombardis.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#32 : February 12, 2013, 04:30:33 PM

The fact remains, they didn't.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 12, 2013, 04:31:04 PM

Case in point would be Ray Lewis.

who was the better player, ray lewis in 2012 or derrick brooks in 2008?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 12, 2013, 04:32:03 PM

Who cares? How many players from the 2012 team won't start any more games for anyone? The fact remains 20 of the Bucs 22 regular starters in 2009 were on the roster in 2008. Dominik gave new contracts to 12 players off the top of my head that were acquired before he got promoted.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 12, 2013, 04:35:12 PM

The fact remains 20 of the Bucs 22 regular starters in 2009 were on the roster in 2008.

but were any of these guys any good?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 12, 2013, 04:37:12 PM

Case in point would be Ray Lewis.

who was the better player, ray lewis in 2012 or derrick brooks in 2008?

Well Ray didn't play half of the year...but I get what you are asking and the answer is Ray...but that isn't saying that Brooks was bad in 2008.

When cut, Brooks was also looked at as a system LB who probably would not easily transition to most teams. I believe he still could have contributed in many ways to the '09 squad.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 12, 2013, 04:39:47 PM

Brooks and Dunn were the only two that I mentioned that didn't stick on a team the next year. Bryant is still in the league.

Facts.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 12, 2013, 04:47:49 PM

The fact remains 20 of the Bucs 22 regular starters in 2009 were on the roster in 2008.

No one put a gun to Dom's head and said he had to keep them. He gave many of them new contracts.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bucinnj

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 12, 2013, 04:50:28 PM

Buce Allen was fired after 5 years and 2 playoff appearances.

That was a total housecleaning.  Different situation.
How do we know we don't need another one?

When Gruden/Allen were fired I got the impression that ownership approached Gruden about getting rid of several Bucs veterans (Brooks, Galloway, Dunn, June, etc...) and he balked.

That's why I said this was a different situation.  That same pressure to purge the team isn't there now.

Turn the page.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : February 12, 2013, 04:50:43 PM

Well Ray didn't play half of the year...but I get what you are asking and the answer is Ray...but that isn't saying that Brooks was bad in 2008.

When cut, Brooks was also looked at as a system LB who probably would not easily transition to most teams. I believe he still could have contributed in many ways to the '09 squad.

brooks was also loooked at as arguably the greatest OLB of all time.  i agree he could have contributed, but for what?  i cant see anyway we were going to the playoffs, and it seems that brooks would only be delaying the transition.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 12, 2013, 04:52:17 PM

No one put a gun to Dom's head and said he had to keep them. He gave many of them new contracts.

so dom inherited a disaster?  and then made it worse.

i cant believe this is even up for debate.  there werent 3 players on the 2008 roster that were worth building a team around.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#42 : February 12, 2013, 04:54:09 PM

brooks was also loooked at as arguably the greatest OLB of all time.  i agree he could have contributed, but for what?  i cant see anyway we were going to the playoffs, and it seems that brooks would only be delaying the transition.

Yea, playoffs weren't going to be an option. Team could have been a bit more competitive. I'm not sure that he would have delayed the transition.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 12, 2013, 04:56:34 PM

The Bucs weren't winning any more games 2009-2012 with Derrick Brooks than they won without him. You guys are arguing an irrelevant point.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 12, 2013, 04:57:05 PM

so dom inherited a disaster?  and then made it worse.
This.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Dom be Fired if the Bucs do not make the playoffs in 2013? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools