Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mark Dominik expects the Bucs to be big players in free agency « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

« : February 12, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »

Last year the Buccaneers made a big splash in free agency by signing the top wide receiver available, Vincent Jackson, and the top guard available, Carl Nicks. Late in the season the Bucs re-worked both players’ contracts, and as a result, Buccaneers General Manager Mark Dominik believes Tampa Bay will be a major player in free agency again this year.

“That has actually opened a lot of cap room for us going into 2013 – a tremendous amount,” Dominik told the Tampa Tribune. “We’ve got a chance to be [heavily] involved in free agency again.”

The Bucs will have about $30 million in cap space when free agency begins on March 12. A cornerback is expected to be the top priority after trading away Aqib Talib and after another of last year’s free agent signings, cornerback Eric Wright, didn’t pan out. Dominik added, however, that another high priority is making sure the key players on the current roster are locked in for years to come.

“But we also have a chance to try to retain this nucleus of players,” Dominik said. “So [the restructuring of Nicks and Jackson] was a big commitment that our owners made and I think that should be encouraging for all fans about our football team.”

After the Bucs missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive season, signing some big-name free agents may be the best thing they can do to encourage all the fans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/mark-dominik-expects-the-bucs-to-be-big-players-in-free-agency/

Didn't PR make a statement recent;y suggesting otherwise?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 12, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »

A "chance" to be major players. Hate that wording. I do think they will be involved again. How much I just couldnt tell you haha.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
« #2 : February 12, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »

Of the potential $50 million potentially available, depending on more cuts, I would only spend $20 to $25 million this year, have another solid draft, roll over the remaining money and save it for that special difference maker in year three.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #3 : February 12, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »

Get em Dom

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 12, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »

Dom is sending "feelers" out right now. That annoucment just got the attention of every Corner in FA.

Thing is, is it just a ploy to raise prices, or are they really ready to spend again?

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 12, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »

Given the Wright disappointment, he may be saying he's not neccesarily going to try and outbid other teams in every situation. Other teams may see certain FAs as worth more than we do...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 12, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »

So is Byrd staying in Buffalo or is he testing the market?

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 12, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »

Dom and Schiano have both said that years down the road FA will not be a big spending time each year. (Nor should it be.) But for these few occasions, we probably will go all out! :)

Save the money for when we  want to nab "That guy!" :D

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
« #8 : February 12, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »

Nowhere does it say Dom expects to spend big or be big players.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

« #9 : February 12, 2013, 06:03:50 PM »

So is Byrd staying in Buffalo or is he testing the market?

They're gonna franchise him i believe

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 12, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »

Nowhere does it say Dom expects to spend big or be big players.
“That has actually opened a lot of cap room for us going into 2013 – a tremendous amount,” Dominik told the Tampa Tribune. “We’ve got a chance to be [heavily] involved in free agency again.”

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 12, 2013, 11:06:04 PM »

Get em Dom

get who?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #12 : February 12, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »

Revis would be a guy I would pursue, but not at Drew Brees cheddar. Especially after a major knee injury.

There is only one AD.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #13 : February 12, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »

Also, I would inquire about Cook and Bennett. I would also inquire about Kruger from the Ravens. He is perfect for a rotational gig and has a lot of energy.

Harvin MUST be inquired about. Get the scoop, investigate, find out what the deal is. The guy is a deluxe gamechanger(^_^)☆. You have to go through due dilligence. If the cost is too steep, the character flaws deemed beyond their willing effort to deal with, then so be it. But man, Harvin makes so much sense. Stud. Was onboard with getting him during the draft...Williams, Harvin, Vincent, Martin, Cook or Keller. Good gravy nipples batman!

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #14 : February 12, 2013, 11:21:23 PM »

Also, I would inquire about Cook and Bennett. I would also inquire about Kruger from the Ravens. He is perfect for a rotational gig and has a lot of energy.

Harvin MUST be inquired about. Get the scoop, investigate, find out what the deal is. The guy is a deluxe gamechanger(^_^)☆. You have to go through due dilligence. If the cost is too steep, the character flaws deemed beyond their willing effort to deal with, then so be it. But man, Harvin makes so much sense. Stud. Was onboard with getting him during the draft...Williams, Harvin, Vincent, Martin, Cook or Keller. Good gravy nipples batman!

I agree with all of this.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mark Dominik expects the Bucs to be big players in free agency « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools