Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Harvin Debate......Worth a 3rd Rounder? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#15 : February 13, 2013, 08:06:00 AM

It would be  better than Jdouble spending a 2nd rounder on that West Virginia WR ....

Ha ha ha

Harvin vs 3rd rounder......one of the most dynamic playmakers in the game vs question mark.

Toes on the line Percy.....

BucsWin31

Starter

#16 : February 13, 2013, 01:09:00 PM

If he went to the Pats, 49ers, Broncos, Saints, or Falcons everybody and their mother would be calling it a great addition, a bold move.
Exactly, it seems like most of you all are cool with competing for 3rd or 4th in the division. Harvin for a 3rd rounder is a no brainer.

DonkeyHunter

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 13, 2013, 01:12:26 PM

Then what happens when we have to extend him? Where and who do we sacrifice to keep Harvin?

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 13, 2013, 01:13:47 PM

nope - only because of his ongoing migraine issue and his expected contract demands.

Certainly a need for the team, but there are better options.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#19 : February 13, 2013, 01:20:59 PM

I dont know about this. Hes got some issues. Id honestly rather keep that 3rd rounder.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 13, 2013, 01:24:34 PM

If he went to the Pats, 49ers, Broncos, Saints, or Falcons everybody and their mother would be calling it a great addition, a bold move.
Exactly, it seems like most of you all are cool with competing for 3rd or 4th in the division. Harvin for a 3rd rounder is a no brainer.

Some would rather hold out on the hope that Arrelious Benn finally learns what foot goes in front of the other.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 13, 2013, 01:33:43 PM

Hmm, he's a whiny baby because he didn't get the ball. He thinks he's entitled to yell at coaches because he didn't get the ball..... Hmmm, you have A.P. on your team, you're second fiddle schmuck boy. Go rest your ankle.
Yeah, his Keyshawn Johnson like prima dona attitude will work wonders here with V-Jax, Williams and Martin getting the ball. And that's not even touching the situation when Freeman misses him with a pass.

No thanks.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#22 : February 13, 2013, 01:39:47 PM

He's obviously be better talent than anyone we would grab in the 3rd. Anyone arguing against can name me our recent 3rd round gems.
He was getting attention for league MVP half way through the season, so he obvioulsy has some talent.
I'd like to see us do this. As a fan he would entertain me. Not my problem to deal with the discipline issues, that's on the coaches.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : February 13, 2013, 01:40:31 PM

He's not a great fit for what we want to do but his talent compared to a 3rd round pick is silly. People habitually overvalue draft picks which have an astonishingly low rate of return. You'd be tickled to get a player like Harvin for an R3 pick so why not pick up a guy like Harvin for an r3 picks without all that nasty guess work.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 13, 2013, 01:43:15 PM

Its not about getting a better player than we would in the 3rd, its about getting the right fit. He doesnt fit here and Schiano wont take his crap. Your basically wasting a 3rd rounder. Id rather keep that 3rd rounder than have somebody who wouldnt fit with this team.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#25 : February 13, 2013, 01:43:43 PM

He's obviously be better talent than anyone we would grab in the 3rd. Anyone arguing against can name me our recent 3rd round gems.
He was getting attention for league MVP half way through the season, so he obvioulsy has some talent.
I'd like to see us do this. As a fan he would entertain me. Not my problem to deal with the discipline issues, that's on the coaches.

Is he not the guy that has migraines that keeps him out of games? ankle injuries? why would we want to bring in a  wr that doesn't stay healthy and cries when things don't go his way?

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#26 : February 13, 2013, 01:50:42 PM

Is he not the guy that has migraines that keeps him out of games? ankle injuries? why would we want to bring in a  wr that doesn't stay healthy and cries when things don't go his way?

Because the last receiver that sounded like this cost us a 2nd rounder (Benn). At least this way we would only be burning a 3rd  ;D

He's not a 100% lock to succeed. If he was, he wouldn't be shopped by Minn. I think the risk outweighs the reward. I see his value as higher than a 3rd. I would, however, be against trading him for a 1st. For a 2nd I would have to think about it.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#27 : February 13, 2013, 02:01:21 PM

He's not a great fit for what we want to do but his talent compared to a 3rd round pick is silly. People habitually overvalue draft picks which have an astonishingly low rate of return. You'd be tickled to get a player like Harvin for an R3 pick so why not pick up a guy like Harvin for an r3 picks without all that nasty guess work.
You're a Harvin fan now?

I said it many times before.....Harvin was a WR who played HB because he had to as Florida had the likes of K Moore, Brandon James, and Chevon Walker

They've had pro scouts on the radio here who have been leery of him because they don't know how well he can run the route tree and that most of his routes he made plays on in college aren't NFL routes.

There's a lot of Reggie Bush comparisons with his lateral style that works in college and not in the pros.

Sorry to interrupt, you are now free to return to your fellatio.
Harvin didn't run laterally as much as Bush did.  Harvin ran in between tackles more than Bush did. 

Also, Harvin will be playing WR in the NFL, not RB.  The Harvin and Bush comparison is like comparing Pat White and Drew Brees.

No but when he makes big plays a lot of those come off lateral movements - rather behind the line or in front of it and frankly there's  a good argument that Bush is now what Reggie is in college, a WR who plays some RB once in awhile. Harvin is a good athlete who is poorly served by his college system in terms of projecting him to the pros. What he did at UF is as meaningful to pro evaluation as what Harrell did at TTU.

I used to hate the Seminoles because their fans had this ridiculously perfect view of their players a decade ago but I can see that the Gator fans have now assumed that throne.
Oh good, I was afraid we wouldn't have the Florida player du jour for the fans to over-hype between now and draft day. Problem narrowly avoided.
Harvin will probably end up somewhere else in our division.....ughh.

Maybe the next Reggie Bush can go play with the first Reggie Bush and create a vortex of suck the Saints can never escape from.
I don't think I agree with you on this one Dalbuc - I recall watching Bush at USC - where is was very athletic and made big play after big play from the RB slot - I watch Harvin play at the RB and WR positions - and think here is a WR who can run with the ball. �He has the hands, aptitude and lacks the Bush attitude - to me he looks like a WR who can supply Smith-like production. �Naturally - I could be wrong.

See from what I've seen of him he's not got great WR skills. He didn't dominate at that spot - I think he had 2 games with big WR totals this year. Â If he can GET the ball he might be dangerous but he can't get open because he's not a refined player at the WR spot.
What the heck is Harvin? He's a great college player but he reminds me of Ted Ginn and Reggie Bush. Two other guys that folks keep talking about "just get the ball in their hands" and they make plays.

Yeah, great college players but lacking the size/skills for the NFL.
Not sure how anyone can say they don't like what Harvin brings to the table. He's one of the best football players in the country coming out of college

He's one of the best athletes in the country coming out of college but his football skills are not all that good which is why I make the Ginn comparisons. Raw physical tools allow domination in college but you need the skills to suceed in the NFL where everyone is a great athlete.
So basically you do not care about the 100 good reasons to not draft the guy.  He made high light real plays aginst college kids so that means he has to translate to the NFL.  How has the worked out for Bush?  Harvin is not even as good as Bush.  The bottom line is that the team has more pressing needs than a luxury pick like Harvin.

Same type of player, toss in multi-threat Ginn as well. If we'd list AB maybe you look at him, and I'm not sure about that, but when you've invested $20m in receiving talent this year adding another receiver isn't a high end need for a team that has a ton of them. The only "logic" the Harvin types roll with is that he's the BPA and screw need but if he's sooooooo obviously the BPA why the heck is he still gonna be there?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 13, 2013, 02:29:08 PM

Oh Pat...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/45115/percy-harvin-in-the-nfc-south

There are a lot of rumors out there that the Minnesota Vikings could be looking to trade receiver Percy Harvin.

Any time there are rumblings about a player of Harvins magnitude (and sometimes far less than his magnitude), the questions start coming about if he could end up with the NFC South teams.

I think we can go ahead and scratch Carolina and New Orleans off the list. The Panthers and Saints simply dont have the salary-cap room for Harvin. You can also scratch Tampa Bay, for a different reason. Can you really see Harvin, who had issues with Leslie Frazier and Brad Childress, getting along with Greg Schiano?

But check out this Insider piece that lists the Atlanta Falcons as a potential landing spot for Harvin.

In some ways, it makes sense. The Falcons are all about surrounding quarterback Matt Ryan with quality weapons and Harvin, at least in theory, would be a huge upgrade over Harry Douglas as the slot receiver and he also has return skills. The Falcons also have shown a willingness to trade for veterans in the past (see Tony Gonzalez and Asante Samuel). Atlanta also has a strong locker room and that potentially could keep Harvin from having some of the same problems hes had in the past.

Still, Id say Harvin to Atlanta is a long shot at best. Any team trading for Harvin likely would have to give him a big, new contract. The Falcons arent in horrible cap shape. But they will be attempting to re-sign potential free agents William Moore, Sam Baker and Brent Grimes. They also could bring back Gonzalez and veteran center Todd McClure.

With so much money already invested in Julio Jones and Roddy White, its tough to see the Falcons paying big money for another receiver. Its also tough to imagine the Falcons, who are all about team chemistry, taking a chance on a guy who has caused some headaches in the past.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#29 : February 13, 2013, 02:32:08 PM

^ I would be so pissed
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Harvin Debate......Worth a 3rd Rounder? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools