Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clowney would go #1 this year, and will be #1 next year, so should he sit out? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 14, 2013, 04:48:08 PM

Julio Jones, A.J Green, Clowney, and Trent Richardson off the top of my head were NFL ready as freshmen.

and the 1000 other guys that werent?  what about them?  talk about GM's and coaches getting fired for drafting on potential.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 14, 2013, 05:15:11 PM

I don't think it would effect his draft status at all , but I'd lose respect for him as a person.

Pretty selfish to not want to go to war one more time with his boys at South Carolina and help them win . Pretty cowardly also. You can't live your life in fear.  Take out an insurance plan and go play ball.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

gone

Hall of Famer
#32 : February 14, 2013, 05:54:54 PM

Stupid rule is stupid..  Any one of us feels that it is in their best interest to leave school for a particular opportunity and we are free to do it, but you guys want a different rule for these guys and this particular opportunity?

They can vote, and go to war, but they can't play football?  The rule is there to protect the colleges and the NFL, not the players.  It ensures the colleges aren't playing too many raw freshmen, thus protecting the money machine that is college ball, and it creates a farm system for the NFL.  You're kidding yourselves if this has anything to do with the interests of the players. 

And the "make sure they get an education" crap -- it's just that, crap.  A large chunk of these kids aren't getting an education, they're getting a piece of paper that says they got an education, and that is not the same thing.  For the ones who are getting an education, those guys don't need some arbitrary rule to protect them from themselves.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 14, 2013, 06:35:29 PM

The rule is there to protect the colleges and the NFL, not the players.  It ensures the colleges aren't playing too many raw freshmen, thus protecting the money machine that is college ball, and it creates a farm system for the NFL.  You're kidding yourselves if this has anything to do with the interests of the players. 

or is the rule there to protect the NFL?  begin drafting on potential and the NFL becomes the farm system.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 14, 2013, 06:36:42 PM

And the "make sure they get an education" crap -- it's just that, crap.  A large chunk of these kids aren't getting an education, they're getting a piece of paper that says they got an education, and that is not the same thing.

because a player turns down the opportunity for an education isnt the school, or the systems fault. its the player and the player alone imo.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 14, 2013, 06:37:40 PM

Why would he sit out the year? Yea thats great advice for a #1 overall pick. Lose all that momentum being out of the game for a year. He wouldnt go #1 if he sat out all year.

I disagree.

Bill Polian was on with Mike & Mike a few days ago discussing this very topic. Said him sitting out would cause some to question his commitment to the game but ultimately, talent prevails.....and i agree with him.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 14, 2013, 06:43:03 PM

And the "make sure they get an education" crap -- it's just that, crap.  A large chunk of these kids aren't getting an education, they're getting a piece of paper that says they got an education, and that is not the same thing.
because a player turns down the opportunity for an education isnt the school, or the systems fault. its the player and the player alone imo.
as long as they bounce his happy azz for not getting the grades just like they would any other student I agree. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#37 : February 14, 2013, 06:52:56 PM

as long as they bounce his happy azz for not getting the grades just like they would any other student I agree.

two wrongs dont make a right.  the student(athlete) doesnt want an education and the schoold doesnt care.  but the opportunity is still there as long as the student(athlete) wants it.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 14, 2013, 06:54:29 PM

NFL hires this kids, they can make whatever the hell rule they want. My company hires people all the time and requires a college degree when that degree doesn't mean diddly for the job.

The delay isn't about "ready" in terms of playing football necessarily. It can be about not hiring guys who aren't mentally and emotionally  ready to play a game with men and earn craploads of money. Any line is arbitrary so trying to argue THIS one is worse than having it be one year earlier is stupid.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

youngone

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 14, 2013, 06:59:06 PM

He should play out his junior year. Personally I would want my future #1 overall pick to have that "I want to be out there battling with my teammates" attitude. Would anybody suggest that he sit out his contract year just because he is going to get a fat contract regardless? Kinda puts in to the spotlight the whole "buccaneer men" mantra Schiano speaks of with him wanting guys that just love to play football. No one player is bigger than game so I think he should fall in line with the other great college players that came before him.

tog

Pro Bowler
#40 : February 14, 2013, 06:59:49 PM

Stupid rule is stupid..  Any one of us feels that it is in their best interest to leave school for a particular opportunity and we are free to do it, but you guys want a different rule for these guys and this particular opportunity?

They can vote, and go to war, but they can't play football?  The rule is there to protect the colleges and the NFL, not the players.  It ensures the colleges aren't playing too many raw freshmen, thus protecting the money machine that is college ball, and it creates a farm system for the NFL.  You're kidding yourselves if this has anything to do with the interests of the players. 

And the "make sure they get an education" crap -- it's just that, crap.  A large chunk of these kids aren't getting an education, they're getting a piece of paper that says they got an education, and that is not the same thing.  For the ones who are getting an education, those guys don't need some arbitrary rule to protect them from themselves.

It's a crazy world when I 100% agree with Caradoc. 

And never mind the quality of the education Caradoc bring sup, by the Federal Graduation Rate (not the Graduation Success Rate the NCAA made up to skew the stats) the grad rate for football is below 50%.
: February 14, 2013, 07:18:02 PM tog

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 14, 2013, 07:05:14 PM

He should play out his junior year. Personally I would want my future #1 overall pick to have that "I want to be out there battling with my teammates" attitude. Would anybody suggest that he sit out his contract year just because he is going to get a fat contract regardless? Kinda puts in to the spotlight the whole "buccaneer men" mantra Schiano speaks of with him wanting guys that just love to play football. No one player is bigger than game so I think he should fall in line with the other great college players that came before him.

what if his attitude is that he is going to a NFL-get-ready camp for a year?  most players go for a couple months, clowney though goes for a year.  less wear and tear on his body, more NFL ready techniques and practice.

i hate it, but its todays reality.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 14, 2013, 07:08:08 PM

Easy for us to say not being in his position. Dude just watched his teammate suffer a potentially career ending injury.... can't blame him for making a business decision.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

youngone

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 14, 2013, 07:29:13 PM

what if his attitude is that he is going to a NFL-get-ready camp for a year?  most players go for a couple months, clowney though goes for a year.  less wear and tear on his body, more NFL ready techniques and practice.

Does that attitude benefit his team?

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 14, 2013, 07:37:15 PM

what if his attitude is that he is going to a NFL-get-ready camp for a year?

Then he is all about the money and not the love of the game , which is a bad sign. Someone who loves the game wouldn't sit on thier hands for an entire year while his teammates go to battle. It would be worth the risk to them to play. 

BTW , you can get hurt running drills in a camp also . Those work-outs they do are pretty intense.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Clowney would go #1 this year, and will be #1 next year, so should he sit out? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools