Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your next President? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#150 : February 21, 2013, 03:17:36 PM

I think I fall into that group. I am interested to learn more but not to declare him "the candidate"

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#151 : February 21, 2013, 03:44:03 PM

LOL, is he really being isolated, excommunicated, and demonized? Hyperbole much?

There once was this guy who was excepted to attend Harvard University at the age of 16, earned his undergraduate degree, and later obtained his PhD in mathematics from the University of Michigan. He was an assistant professor at the University of California, Berkeley by the age of 25. That man was Ted Kaczynski, "the Unabomber". Point being, Carson's academic accomplishments are not a reliable reflection of his temperament.

You likened him to the Unabomber.

Did I? Or did you just choose to dishonestly ignore the last sentence of the quote you just posted that clearly illustrates the point I was trying to make? Remember that whole "intellectual dishonesty" discussion you interfered with in the other thread?

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#152 : February 21, 2013, 03:57:55 PM

CBW, you realize the original poster read it just as me and pointed out its a typical logical fallacy?

Your last sentence is, essentially, you can't rely on Carson's academic record (something the op didnt even do)because the Unabomber had good academics too. You CHOSE that comparison.
: February 21, 2013, 04:00:04 PM VinBucFan

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#153 : February 21, 2013, 04:07:59 PM

CBW has the right of it.  Fundamentalism like that is scary to me.  You've got someone whose job is to make decisions and influence lawmakers, and he has not shown the ability to think rationally about the world we inhabit.  Not only that, but he's proud to admit it.  This is not the kind of person we want influencing our laws.  That's how you end up in a "sharia" situation.  Just my personal opinion.

I would think graduating from Yale, then UM Med school, would certainly show his "ability to think rationally about the world we inhabit" not to mention his numerous other accomplishments in medicine and neuroscience. Operating on brains requires a considerable amount of rational thought.

There once was this guy who was excepted to attend Harvard University at the age of 16, earned his undergraduate degree, and later obtained his PhD in mathematics from the University of Michigan. He was an assistant professor at the University of California, Berkeley by the age of 25. That man was Ted Kaczynski, "the Unabomber". Point being, Carson's academic accomplishments are not a reliable reflection of his temperament.

To suggest that just because the guy went to an ivy league school and became a surgeon means that he will not govern by the divine mandate in which he has chosen to dedicate his life to fulfilling is a monumental reach.

So you go to the logical fallacy of cherry picking Using one extreme example or exception to discount all other data.

Also, did Ted Kaczynski practice medicine for several decades like Carson?? I noted his academic success AND his very long and successful career while you ignored the later.

Sure there probably are 0.01% of Med school graduates that don't have "ability to think rationally about the world we inhabit" but probability says Carson is most likely in the other 99.99%

And I would also say that studying and then practicing Medicine for decades involves much more "real world rationality" than studying pure mathematics and then barely holding a job for 2 yrs.

CBW, you must have missed this. ;-)

spartan

Hall of Famer
#154 : February 21, 2013, 04:18:03 PM

regarding the first observation - I have noted that most who are interested in Carson used a bit of disclaimer - wanting to know more.  You called it vetting, others noted they wanted to know more.

I wasn't necessarily referring to just those on this MB. If you look around there are parties that consider him the second coming or the anti-christ depending on which side of the aisle you sit. It was an all round observation.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#155 : February 21, 2013, 04:22:31 PM

CBW has the right of it.  Fundamentalism like that is scary to me.  You've got someone whose job is to make decisions and influence lawmakers, and he has not shown the ability to think rationally about the world we inhabit.  Not only that, but he's proud to admit it.  This is not the kind of person we want influencing our laws.  That's how you end up in a "sharia" situation.  Just my personal opinion.

I would think graduating from Yale, then UM Med school, would certainly show his "ability to think rationally about the world we inhabit" not to mention his numerous other accomplishments in medicine and neuroscience. Operating on brains requires a considerable amount of rational thought.

To suggest that just because the guy went to an ivy league school and became a surgeon means that he will not govern by the divine mandate in which he has chosen to dedicate his life to fulfilling is a monumental reach.

So you go to the logical fallacy of cherry picking Using one extreme example or exception to discount all other data.

You stated that you think his academic accomplishments "would certainly show his 'ability to think rationally about the world we inhabit'". My comment didn't ignore nor did it cherry pick anything. It merely addressed the soundness of your assertion that academic accomplishments signify what a person's temperament or rational judgement capabilities are. There are extremely few if any examples of tyrants, dictators, zealots, master criminals, etc. that were uneducated idiots.

If you don't like the Kaczynski example, fine. Mohamed Morsi got his PhD in materials science from USC, and served as an assistant professor at CSU Northrigde, and then served as the dean of the engineering department at an Egyptian University for 25 years. None of that seems to have altered his affinity for Islamic fundamentalism, or his propensity to wish to govern by it's principles.

Now for the Vince's out there, I am not "likening" Ben Carson to a tyrant, zealot, dictator, master criminal, or even to Morsi. I am merely making the point that academic accomplishments are not an indicator of a person's rationale. His accomplishments show that he is a capable student and capable surgeon. They do not show that he will not try to codify his religious belief system into law. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. But to suggest that his academic accomplishments and career accomplishments serve as any indication either way, or that they negate the validity of any concerns potential voters would have in this regard lacks any degree of merit.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#156 : February 21, 2013, 04:31:15 PM

"Not to mention..."

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#157 : February 21, 2013, 04:46:17 PM

"His accomplishments show that he is a capable student and capable surgeon. They do not show that he will not try to codify his religious belief system into law. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. But to suggest that his academic accomplishments and career accomplishments serve as any indication either way, or that they negate the validity of any concerns potential voters would have in this regard lacks any degree of merit."

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#158 : February 21, 2013, 05:21:54 PM

"His accomplishments show that he is a capable student and capable surgeon. They do not show that he will not try to codify his religious belief system into law. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. But to suggest that his academic accomplishments and career accomplishments serve as any indication either way, or that they negate the validity of any concerns potential voters would have in this regard lacks any degree of merit."

Thanks for correcting your prior omission. Note that you can't seem to help yourself though, take a look at that last paragraph. Not to mention the continued logical fallacy
: February 21, 2013, 05:26:22 PM VinBucFan

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#159 : February 21, 2013, 06:11:40 PM

regarding the first observation - I have noted that most who are interested in Carson used a bit of disclaimer - wanting to know more.  You called it vetting, others noted they wanted to know more.

I wasn't necessarily referring to just those on this MB. If you look around there are parties that consider him the second coming or the anti-christ depending on which side of the aisle you sit. It was an all round observation.
My error in that case.  Sorry Spartan. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#160 : February 21, 2013, 06:54:08 PM

It would be interesting to try to compare the support versus the opposition. Are there more people smitten than knocking him down. It should be much more smitten, but is it?
: February 21, 2013, 06:57:03 PM VinBucFan

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#161 : February 21, 2013, 07:07:04 PM

Interesting view from a conservative

http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/02/m-dr_ben_carson_and_the_responsible_self.html

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#162 : February 21, 2013, 07:08:02 PM

He kind of looks like the anti-christ to me.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#163 : February 21, 2013, 08:00:27 PM

Remember that whole "intellectual dishonesty" discussion you interfered with in the other thread?

"Interfered" . LOL

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#164 : February 21, 2013, 08:53:39 PM

I rue the day I ever used the term "Intellectual dishonesty" in this forum.

Now we have to watch as two retards (like they've just discovered a shiny new penny) throw the term back and forth as if either one of them could smell an intellectually dishonest position even though it's caked like pig sh*t on their upper lip.

: February 21, 2013, 08:55:48 PM Durango 95
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 24
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your next President? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools