Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your next President? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #315 : April 01, 2013, 07:12:05 PM »

I disagree with the PC stuff too, but there is, at a minimum, a historical basis for the term "Oriental" to being outdated (other than, perhaps, as Brads correctly noted, to refer to certain objects, such as a rug). 

If you wonder why some might find it offensive (although, again, I agree the PC stuff is over the top), you might ask a Japanese person whose family was placed in a camp during WWII (I could be wrong but I think Washington State was one of the first to take the term out of their laws?) or someone who descends from a Chinese railroad worker.

It's mostly over the top and many people just look for something to gripe about, but that doesnt mean that the claim of offense has no basis in fact.

In any event, wasnt Carson's point tat there were bigger issues than all the PC stuff? Not sure that means that it would stay out of a campaign, but he's right about bigger issues.
« : April 01, 2013, 07:17:55 PM VinBucFan »

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #316 : April 01, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »

If you wonder why some might find it offensive (although, again, I agree the PC stuff is over the top), you might ask a Japanese person whose family was placed in a camp during WWII (I could be wrong but I think Washington State was one of the first to take the term out of their laws?) or someone who descends from a Chinese railroad worker.

Haha....When the term "word salad" just doesn't cut it.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #317 : April 01, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »

Haha....When the term "word salad" just doesn't cut it.

Lol

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #318 : April 01, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »

My family originates from England so when I hear names like the Royals and the Kings, it offends me,.

Oh **CENSORED**, you never told me that. Now I have to disown you.

Can I be offended by the term "Brits?" The correct term is after all British. FWIW the term (Brits) is annoying, but it isn't offensive. I think some confuse irritating with offensive. Oriental (for example) might be irritating to some, but it sure ain't racist.

Maybe we should ban 4th July, because as an English American I am really offended by the derogatory comments like "we kicked your ass" that I hear every year. It makes me feel like some second class citizen.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #319 : April 01, 2013, 10:48:50 PM »

My family originates from England so when I hear names like the Royals and the Kings, it offends me,.

Can I be offended by the term "Brits?" The correct term is after all British. FWIW the term (Brits) is annoying, but it isn't offensive. I think some confuse irritating with offensive. Oriental (for example) might be irritating to some, but it sure ain't racist.

Maybe we should ban 4th July, because as an English American I am really offended by the derogatory comments like "we kicked your ass" that I hear every year. It makes me feel like some second class citizen.

A bunch of Brit friends once explained to me that America only exists because Brits were having too much fun kicking French azz to pay attention to the Colonies.  Talk about offensive!!

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #320 : April 01, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »

I laugh to myself when we as Americans rip on the French. When it comes to ripping on the French no one can hold a candle to the English.
« : April 01, 2013, 10:59:40 PM Durango 95 »

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #321 : April 01, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »

Oh **CENSORED**, you never told me that.

That's right, Spartan. We shoulder the same burden. ;)

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #322 : April 02, 2013, 07:16:11 AM »

A bunch of Brit friends once explained to me that America only exists because Brits were having too much fun kicking French azz to pay attention to the Colonies.  Talk about offensive!!

...and the French will tell  you we only kicked the Brits ass because we had thier aid and support . Guess it depends on your perspective of the ass kicking ...

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #323 : April 02, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »

Does the PC Police stretch to the Mediterranean, or just the Orient?

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #324 : April 02, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »

...and the French will tell  you we only kicked the Brits ass because we had thier aid and support . Guess it depends on your perspective of the ass kicking ...

Regardless of perspective there is no "we" or "us" involved, Mr Freethinker.

Kelly Thomas

Hall of Famer
« #325 : April 02, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »

PC is a hodgepodge of arbitrary designation. Oriental may be considered politically incorrect here but in other countries it's not. I would advise everyone to invest in a international manual of PC so you'll know what you can and cannot say depending on what plot of land you happen to be standing on at any given moment.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #326 : April 02, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »

Ummmmm....ok Durango. Lol

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #327 : April 02, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »

PC is a hodgepodge of arbitrary designation. Oriental may be considered politically incorrect here but in other countries it's not. I would advise everyone to invest in a international manual of PC so you'll know what you can and cannot say depending on what plot of land you happen to be standing on at any given moment.

You mean a Persian doesn't mind when you ask to bu his Oriental rug or a person from China doesn't mind when you refer to him and the Japanese man next to him as Oriental? Lol.

If you mean other countries are less racially sensitive then that is true. In the UK, football fans make monkey gestures at African players and chant about Adolf Hitler coming to get the players on a team with Jewish roots. The PC crap in the US is over the top, but I don't think "the rest of the world doesn't care so why should we" is a very compelling argument

Btw, Washington State's decision to remove the Oriental reference  from its laws probably had more to do with sending Japanese Americans to camps during WWII than being politically correct.
« : April 02, 2013, 09:54:23 AM VinBucFan »

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #328 : April 02, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »

PC is a hodgepodge of arbitrary designation. Oriental may be considered politically incorrect here but in other countries it's not.

I think this was exactly was Carson was referencing in the NPR interview Joe mentioned, and why the comparison to using the n-word doesn't fly.

I would advise everyone to invest in a international manual of PC so you'll know what you can and cannot say depending on what plot of land you happen to be standing on at any given moment.

lol

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #329 : April 02, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2013/02/06/1548451/mario-balotelli-and-the-lost-war-against-racism-in-soccer/?mobile=nc

In England, the Football Association has taken steps to combat racism that have been more aggressive than those in other countries. The FA suspended Luis Suarez for eight matches for racist taunts directed at Patrice Evra, who is Senegalese. It has banned fans from matches for racist taunts and levied heavy fines and sanctions against clubs whose fans exhibit racist behavior. John Terry, the English national team’s former captain, was charged with a crime for racial remarks he made in the course of play (he was found not guilty). Complaints have still arisen from black players like Rio Ferdinand, and racism still rears its ugly face far too often. But England’s serious and aggressive response seems to have thwarted much of the overt racism from fans that was once a daily feature of its matches, even if it hasn’t eliminated racism altogether.
  Page: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your next President? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools