Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your next President? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#330 : April 02, 2013, 10:40:50 AM

Does the PC Police stretch to the Mediterranean, or just the Orient?

PC is a hodgepodge of arbitrary designation. Oriental may be considered politically incorrect here but in other countries it's not. I would advise everyone to invest in a international manual of PC so you'll know what you can and cannot say depending on what plot of land you happen to be standing on at any given moment.

nice

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#331 : April 02, 2013, 02:44:05 PM

http://racerelations.about.com/od/understandingrac1/a/racialnamestoavoid.htm

Doesn't this article typify the PC bullcrap that Carson was talking about?

There is nothing wrong with using Oriental, Spanish, Indian, Arab, Russian, or any other ethnic group.  If that's what they are, that's what they are.

Those are obviously different than using n*****, colored, brownie, raghead, whitey, mulatto, or any other slang term that could be considered offensive.

I agree that use of the term "Oriental" is not akin to using the n-word, but if those who you are referring to believe it to be offensive, then it's an offensive term. To argue that it isn't is like you punching someone in the face and then telling them that it didn't hurt. You threw the punch. You didn't receive it, so how the hell can you tell that person that it didn't hurt?

I use to go to college with this guy from one of the many backwater towns in Michigan that still refer to African Americans as "colored". The first time I heard him say it, my jaw hit the ground. This was before I knew that there actually were places in backwater Michigan that still used this term fairly commonly. I know the guy wasn't racist, he was simply using the terminology he grew up with. But that didn't make it any less shocking or offensive. After talking about it for awhile, he realized that it probably wasn't a good idea to use that term, regardless of the harmlessness that was behind it's use.

I don't really get why anyone would argue for the continued use of offensive terminology. I couldn't care less what Asians want to be called. If they decided the word "Asian" was offensive tomorrow, and decided that they wanted to be called something else, then I'd call them that, because what the hell difference does it make to me? If using the word "Oriental" instead of "Asian doesn't give you any sense of gratification, then why does it freaking matter that they don't want you to call them that anymore?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#332 : April 02, 2013, 03:27:44 PM

There is nothing wrong with using Oriental, Spanish, Indian, Arab, Russian, or any other ethnic group.  If that's what they are, that's what they are.

Those are obviously different than using n*****, colored, brownie, raghead, whitey, mulatto, or any other slang term that could be considered offensive.

I agree that use of the term "Oriental" is not akin to using the n-word, but if those who you are referring to believe it to be offensive, then it's an offensive term.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and call B/S on this.  Again, what Carson was referring to was B/S PC Police.  This is the exact crap that Carson was talking about.

Where does it end with the PC Police?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#333 : April 03, 2013, 02:38:11 AM

I agree that use of the term "Oriental" is not akin to using the n-word, but if those who you are referring to believe it to be offensive, then it's an offensive term.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and call B/S on this.  Again, what Carson was referring to was B/S PC Police.  This is the exact crap that Carson was talking about.

Where does it end with the PC Police?

"PC Police" is a buzz word. It's a "them" in which to villainize for political brownie points.

What this really says is that Dr. Carson believes himself worthy of being the arbiter of what others should and should not find offensive. I don't believe he, or any other non-Asian has the right or power to tell Asians what they should and shouldn't find offensive.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#334 : April 03, 2013, 07:24:13 AM

What this really says is that Dr. Carson believes himself worthy of being the arbiter of what others should and should not find offensive. I don't believe he, or any other non-Asian has the right or power to tell Asians what they should and shouldn't find offensive.

Sure he has the right , and the power . It's called free speech , you idiot .

He has the right to claim to be the King of All Things Offensive if he wants . It's up to the Asians whether they want to buy it or not.

But why am I not surprised that the Comrade doesn't truly believe in free speech  either , lol.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#335 : April 03, 2013, 09:15:16 AM

"PC Police" is a buzz word. It's a "them" in which to villainize for political brownie points.

PC Police is buzz word - then what the hell are we even talking about?  This all started somewhere, didn't it?  I bet the PC Criminals started it only to villainize the imaginary PC Police in order get those brownie points I'm hearing about.

While I'm sure there may be a few, I have yet to hear any Oriental people being offended by being called Oriental.  I've also never heard anybody from the Mediterranean be offended by that term, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's not very PC to either. 

Mr. Milich

Hall of Famer
#336 : April 03, 2013, 09:51:20 AM

Someone needs to ask Dr Carson if he's offended by people using his name and  and "brownie points" in the same context.

Sounds like CBW has a reckless indifference toward the feelings of colored folk.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#337 : April 03, 2013, 12:23:02 PM

Oriental is technically incorrect when referring to the far east. Chinese aren't Oriental, Persians, Afghans, Pakistanis and Arabs are. I could see how Chinese wouldn't want to be confused with Afghans or Syrians.

I am offended by the term Caucasian. None of my ancestors where from the Caucasus. They were European NOT Asian and the Caucasus  are in Asia. Since my ancestry is English/Irish/Swedish/German/Italian from now on I want my race to be referred to as Anglo-Celtic-Scandinavian-Duetch-Latin-American. Also Latin-American should only apply to Italian-Americans since Italians invented the Latin Language.

And is it un-PC to refer to Icelanders as Lava-footed Fish Heads because I hate those damn Icelandic bastiches.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#338 : April 09, 2013, 01:18:37 AM

Sure he has the right , and the power . It's called free speech , you idiot .

He has the right to claim to be the King of All Things Offensive if he wants . It's up to the Asians whether they want to buy it or not.

But why am I not surprised that the Comrade doesn't truly believe in free speech  either , lol.

I'm all for free speech. I'm also for people being held accountable for their speech. For example, I am fully aware that calling you a pathetic moron might potentially garner a great deal of animosity from morons who might be extremely offended by the association.

He has the right to say whatever he wants. But free speech is a two way street. If he is claiming that people should not be called ignorant or bigoted by the so called "PC Police" for using offensive terms, then he is the one who wants to limit speech, correct?

PC Police is buzz word - then what the hell are we even talking about?  This all started somewhere, didn't it?  I bet the PC Criminals started it only to villainize the imaginary PC Police in order get those brownie points I'm hearing about.

While I'm sure there may be a few, I have yet to hear any Oriental people being offended by being called Oriental.  I've also never heard anybody from the Mediterranean be offended by that term, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's not very PC to either.

Well, if you've never heard any...

Someone needs to ask Dr Carson if he's offended by people using his name and  and "brownie points" in the same context.

Sounds like CBW has a reckless indifference toward the feelings of colored folk.

Dr. Carson isn't offended by anything. Except, of course, by people who get offended by things.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

#339 : December 04, 2013, 10:54:30 PM

I've been reading/watching a bunch of his interviews/speeches and I just got his book, I really like what this guy is about. He's not afraid to tell you what he thinks and he's not afraid to let you know it's because of his faith. The liberal media does a very good job of presenting the EXTREME minority opinion as the majority opinion, so I really like that Dr. Carson seems to have made it a goal of his to encourage conservatives to speak openly about their belief in traditional values. That's a good place to start in reclaiming a once great country, so I'm glad he's promoting such actions.

Having said all of that, he'd never win an election. I'd wager liberals hate black conservatives more than white conservatives, they're viewed as traitors. My only gripe about Dr. Carson is his SDA background, I don't support a lot of what they believe, "Christian" or not. Regardless, he seems like a great man and I look forward to reading his book.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#340 : December 04, 2013, 11:47:23 PM

I've been reading/watching a bunch of his interviews/speeches and I just got his book, I really like what this guy is about. He's not afraid to tell you what he thinks and he's not afraid to let you know it's because of his faith. The liberal media does a very good job of presenting the EXTREME minority opinion as the majority opinion, so I really like that Dr. Carson seems to have made it a goal of his to encourage conservatives to speak openly about their belief in traditional values. That's a good place to start in reclaiming a once great country, so I'm glad he's promoting such actions.

Having said all of that, he'd never win an election. I'd wager liberals hate black conservatives more than white conservatives, they're viewed as traitors. My only gripe about Dr. Carson is his SDA background, I don't support a lot of what they believe, "Christian" or not. Regardless, he seems like a great man and I look forward to reading his book.

+1

Love the guy, he speaks common sense. 

As far as the oriental discussion goes, the ones I have known, say that is describing a type of furniture, not a race.  And they are not offended by it, but just shakes their heads over the misuse of the word.

I heard someone on talk radio today, throw out the idea of Hilary vs. Condi Rice in the next presidential race.  I thought it was an interesting idea.  IMO.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

LuckyLarry

Starter

#341 : December 06, 2013, 02:49:40 AM

LuckyLarry

Starter

#342 : December 06, 2013, 03:05:39 AM

Honestly, Rand Paul is the candidate I want.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#343 : December 06, 2013, 07:38:35 AM

Rand could possibly get me to vote Republican again for the 1st time in years ....but that is precisely why the Republicans will never nominate him. He actually really does believe in smaller government , unlike the rest of them.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Pewter Pirate

Pro Bowler
#344 : December 06, 2013, 09:34:30 AM

Rand could possibly get me to vote Republican again for the 1st time in years ....but that is precisely why the Republicans will never nominate him. He actually really does believe in smaller government , unlike the rest of them.

Paul would make a great president.  If Hillary is nominated, no man will beat her.  She is the press anointed "smartest woman in the world".  There will be a full press to have the first female president, and for her to  a democrat.  Moderates will want to be on the side of history.  Hillary, like Obama, will mask her true agenda.  Only a conservative woman with the strength to take on a very liberal press out to personally destroy her as a woman (look at any conservative woman and how they are ripped personally and not on policy) can beat Hillary if the candidate stays true to her beliefs, and not water them down to appease the liberals who wants to destroy her. 
Page: 1 ... 21 22 23 24
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Your next President? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools