Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayock Rankings « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: February 16, 2013, 12:22:17 PM

For those who care....

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/16/3995012/mike-mayock-nfl-draft-2013-rankings-offense

The NFL Draft is a little over two months away, but with the regular season over and the combine coming up, the ranking of prospects is getting into full swing.

Mike Mayock of NFL Network is one of, if not the most, respected draft experts, and he has released his rankings for every position. Mayock's thoughts are certain to change as we move closer to the draft and go through things like the aforementioned combine and pro days, but here are his initial thoughts.

Below at Mayock's rankings with my insightful analysis.

|SB Nation Top 100 Big Board|

Quarterbacks:

Geno Smith, West Virginia
Matt Barkley, USC
Mike Glennon, North Carolina State
Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
Landry Jones, Oklahoma
Smith is the clear-cut No. 1 quarterback at this point. After starting for three years and putting up impressive numbers in Morgantown, Smith has separated himself from the pack. However, he's still not believed to be a top selection by many, with some NFL people whispering he's not even a first-round pick.

Barkley has seen his stock take a brutal hit since last year when he would have been a top-10 pick. The California native had a tough year with the Trojans and now is a second-round prospect. Glennon is probably the toughest man to peg for a projection because some see him as a top prospect while others see him as a mid-round talent.

Nassib and Jones are projects at this time, likely going on days two and three of the draft. SB Nation has Jones ranked 10th in this quarterback crop.

Running back:

Eddie Lacy, Alabama
Montee Ball, Wisconsin
Andre Ellington, Clemson
Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
This is another position that isn't thought to have elite talent. It's tough to see any first rounders in this group, with Lacy and Ball representing the bruising style of back that's seemingly going extinct in today's game. Ball is ranked ninth by SB Nation, showing the difference of opinion on him.

Ellington has an interesting blend of power and speed, making him an intriguing choice for a team looking to bolster its ground attack.

Bernard is under the radar but could move up the draft boards considerably with a good showing at the combine. Lattimore's stock is all about his heath. If Lattimore's gruesome knee injury doesn't scare a team away, he could be taken on day two.

Wide receiver:

Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
Keenan Allen, California
Terrance Williams, Baylor
Tavon Austin, West Virginia
Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
This is another position without a ton of star power. Noticing a theme?

Patterson and Allen are far and away ahead of the class. Patterson brings size to the table at 6'2 and 205 pounds with great speed. Allen is very similar, making the two hard to separate.

Williams has draft experts split, but Mayock seems to like him more than most. Austin is a true burner, someone who can stretch the field and make things happen after the catch. He almost certainly will be a day two pick.

Patton is bigger than people give him credit for at 6'0 and 200 pounds, but he lacks top-end speed. It was very surprising to not see DeAndre Hopkins of Clemson on the list. Some experts see him as a first-round player with SB Nation ranking him third on the list behind Allen and Austin.

Tight End:

Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
Zach Ertz, Stanford
Gavin Escobar, San Diego State
Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
Jordan Reed, Florida
Eifert and Ertz are clearly the two best tight ends coming into the draft. Eifert has been productive for years for the Fighting Irish and should be the first taken off the board out of this group. Ertz is another Stanford tight end that will be taken early after his ex-teammate Coby Fleener was drafted in the second round last year.

Escobar, Kelce and Reed will all be mid-round selections barring something unforeseen. SB Nation has Dion Sims ranked fourth, the only man in our top five who isn't in Mayock's.

Center:

Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
Brian Schwenke, California
Barrett Jones, Alabama
Khaled Holmes, USC
Braxston Cave, Notre Dame
Guard:

Chance Warmack, Alabama
Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
Larry Warford, Kentucky
Kyle Long, Oregon
Brian Winters, Kent State
Tackle:

Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
D.J. Fluker, Alabama
Menelik Watson, Florida State and Justin Pugh, Syracuse
As always, the tackles are seen as the biggest prospects on the offensive line, with Joeckel a potential No. 1 overall pick. After that, things get murky. Fisher and Johnson are certainly top-20 picks, but it's tough to say who will come off the board first.

The guards are a very strong group, with Warmack and Cooper also projected to go very early in the first round. Warford is likely a second-round pick for a team looking to fortify its offensive line. No center will go on day one without a Pouncey in the draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/16/3995190/mike-mayock-nfl-draft-2013-rankings-defense

The 2013 NFL Draft is only a few months away, meaning that it's time for mock draft efforts to ramp up across the blogosphere.

NFL expert Mike Mayock has now shared his first rankings via NFL.com, slotting his top five players at every position. Mayock has been covering the draft for years and was a defensive back in the 1980's for the New York Giants. Few know the draft better than Mayock, who also covers Notre Dame football for NBC.

SB Nation's Top 100 big board

The following are Mayock's rankings and my incredible analysis:

Defensive end:

Bjoern Werner, Florida State
Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
Ezekiel Ansah, BYU
Sam Montgomery, LSU
Datone Jones, UCLA and Margus Hunt SMU
This is the first of many very deep positions in a great draft for defenders. Werner and Moore are top-of-the-draft talents while Ansah might have the most potential of anyone listed. The BYU product has the ability to wreck games on his own at times.

Montgomery is an interesting prospect who many GM's in the NFL believe will go late in the first. Playing alongside Barkevious Mingo, Montgomery flashed top-notch ability.

SB Nation agrees on these rankings for the most part, with Moore being higher than Werner. The top five is the same group though, with Hunt being ninth.

Defensive tackle:

Sharrif Floyd, Florida
Star Lotulelei, Utah
Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
Kawann Short, Purdue and Johnathan Jenkins, Ohio State
No position has more quality depth heading into the combine than defensive tackle. Every man above can be seen as a first round selection.

It is borderline shocking that Mayock ranks Floyd above Lotulelei, who some believe will be the first player taken come draft time. Floyd is a true difference maker at an SEC school, perhaps tipping the scales in his favor over the man from Utah.

SB Nation has Lotulelei ranked first with Floyd coming in sixth. Williams and Short are also seventh and eighth respectively on SB Nation's big board.

Outside linebacker:

Dion Jordan, Oregon
Jarvis Jones, Georgia
Khaseem Greene, Rutgers
Barkevious Mingo, LSU
Arthur Brown, Kansas State
This is an extremely talented grouping. Jordan and Jones are locks to be early first round picks with all the rest likely to go in the first as well save Greene. Many have Greene ranked below the other four, making Mayock stand out a little here.

Brown is an intriguing player as some in the NFL believe he can play inside or outside. Brown is likely a very late first or early second round choice.

SB Nation considered Brown and inside linebacker and has Jordan as a defensive end, so it's tough to compare. However, we did have Mingo slightly higher than Greene.

Inside Linebacker:

Alec Ogletree, Georgia
Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
Kevin Minter, LSU
Kevin Red**CENSORED**, North Carolina
Kiko Alonso, Oregon
Ogletree is far and away the best inside linebacker in this group. Ogletree separated himself from the rest with a stellar season alongside Jones at Georgia.

Te'o is obviously being hurt by all the nonsense that took place with his fake girlfriend hoax. It's tough to see him stepping in and leading a defense right now. Minter is a fringe first rounder while Red**CENSORED** and Alonso will go on the second day.

SB Nation doesn't have the same view of Olgetree Mayock and I share, ranking him fourth here behind Brown, Te'o and Minter. Nico Johnson of Alabama also beats out Red**CENSORED** and Alonso.

Cornerback:

Dee Milliner, Alabama
Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
Johnathan Banks, Mississippi State
Desmond Trufant, Washington
Jordan Poyer, Oregon State
This is an excellent year in the draft for corners. All of the men listed above could be first round picks when everything is set and done. With the NFL a passing league more than ever, corners are in high demand and this year the supply is ample.

Milliner, Rhodes and Banks are certain first rounders with Trufant and Poyer not long for the second round should they fall into it. Without question, this is the best corner draft is years for team's looking to upgrade that spot.

Logan Ryan from Rutgers comes in third for the SB Nation ranking behind Milliner and Rhodes. The man who doesn't make our list is Trufant, who is ranked sixth.

Safety:

Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
Matt Elam, Florida
Johnathan Cyprien, Florida International
Eric Reid, LSU
Zeke Motta, Notre Dame
The safeties in this class are all with some range on the draft boards. Vaccaro is a first round prospect in most people's estimation, but after that the situation is cloudy. Elam is a consensus No. 2 safety prospect, and likely a very late first round or high second round selection. Beyond that, we're talking about guys that will all go in the second day.

Tony Jefferson and Shawn Williams gives SB Nation's list a different flavor. Vaccaro is the tops safety for us, with Elam, Jefferson, Reid and Williams trailing. Cyprien is slotted seventh and Motta is ranked a whopping 16th.

Draft Aaron Donald

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
#1 : February 16, 2013, 12:29:45 PM

Watching the highlights on DE Ezekial Ansah (BYU) he kinda reminds of JPP or Aldon Smith. Relentless pass-rusher.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 16, 2013, 01:12:26 PM

Interesting that Tyler Wilson did not make his top 5, most either have him as 2nd or 3rd QB in this draft.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 16, 2013, 01:18:47 PM

Interesting that Tyler Wilson did not make his top 5, most either have him as 2nd or 3rd QB in this draft.

noticed that as well. tyler wilson and EJ manuel are both better prospects than nassib and landry jones and id bet the farm that both are drafted before nassib and jones, those two were disasters at the senior bowl and have massive flaws in their games.

Chris_BucFan60

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#4 : February 16, 2013, 01:36:03 PM

Watching the highlights on DE Ezekial Ansah (BYU) he kinda reminds of JPP or Aldon Smith. Relentless pass-rusher.
I don't see the elite quickness.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 16, 2013, 02:03:07 PM

Since Mayock has an analysis and value on everyone and their cousin, why does he only list his top 5 at every position?

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 16, 2013, 03:52:47 PM

noticed that as well. tyler wilson and EJ manuel are both better prospects than nassib and landry jones and id bet the farm that both are drafted before nassib and jones, those two were disasters at the senior bowl and have massive flaws in their games.

Surprised me as well. Mayock use to be the best internet scout in my opinion, but over the last couple years he has started doing to many other things. He's spread himself too thin and now his scouting doesn't stand out as anything special. QBs have always been his weakest position though.

I do like how he has the TEs ranked. That is exactly how I would rank the top 5. Although, McDonald and Sims are probably all tied with Reed as #5 to me.
: February 16, 2013, 03:56:12 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 16, 2013, 04:10:28 PM

The thing with all these rankings though, is they don't take into account scheme. I mean the top 5 CBs for zone based defense is going to look completely different than the top 5 CBs for a man based defense. Do you want a TE that is decent at blocking but exceptional as a receiver? Or a TE that is a road grader with decent hands? Is your O-line a zone blocking scheme or a massive power run squad? Do you need a DT that can eat double and triple teams and single handedly shut down the middle of the line? Or a DT that can penetrate and get pressure?

None of these things are factored in, so the rankings are all very generic.

A great example is Jonathan Banks. He is ranked in the top 5 by just about everyone. And with good reason. He is a smart player and he will likely do very well in a zone based defense where he can play cat and mouse with the QB in zone coverages designed to trick a QB. 

However, Schiano's defense leaves our cornerbacks on an island quite often. We use zone here and there, but most of the time our CBs are asked to cover their man one on one, and also come up and play physical in the running game. These are not strong points for Banks, and so he is not a good fit....yet you have all kinds of people mocking him to us. Most folks don't seem to take the entire scouting report into account, just the positional ranking....which really doesn't tell you much of anything.

Draft Aaron Donald

ISLAND BUCS

Starter

#8 : February 16, 2013, 04:20:30 PM

J Dub:  Taking into account team scheme is a very valid point.   

You give good examples.  Thanks

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 16, 2013, 04:22:19 PM

Well JDub I hope they play more zone because that is the only time the Bucs defense looked good this past year was in zone.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 16, 2013, 04:31:12 PM

Well JDub I hope they play more zone because that is the only time the Bucs defense looked good this past year was in zone.

Well we had nothing but inexperienced, undersized, zone cornerbacks that not only suck in man coverage, but couldn't bump and run if their lives depended on it. So yeah. I agree.

I think if we get a couple bigger, more physical man coverage guys on the roster, and things will look very different.
: February 16, 2013, 04:32:57 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

Tommy

Starter

#11 : February 16, 2013, 10:33:41 PM

I like Mayock's picks. I think the RBs and QBs are garbage this year and there are no real "stud" CBs this year.  We need to grab linemen and TEs (early) and snag a few CBs in FA. Crazy excited about the talent at DT this year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 16, 2013, 10:58:46 PM

I think this a strong year for RBs.

Draft Aaron Donald

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 16, 2013, 11:08:15 PM

Terrible year for RB's. Lacy and Ball are mediocre talents. No one else even sniffs R1 talent and I'm not even sure how many go in R2.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Tommy

Starter

#14 : February 16, 2013, 11:18:15 PM

Terrible year for RB's. Lacy and Ball are mediocre talents. No one else even sniffs R1 talent and I'm not even sure how many go in R2.

Haha, none of these RBs are studs.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mayock Rankings « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools