Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revisiting The Top NFL Free Agent Moves From 2012 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 17, 2013, 12:33:24 AM

Revisiting The Top  NFL Free Agent Moves From 2012

By Aaron Kroh

February 16, 2013 8:44 am

The 2012 NFL season was one that will be remembered for years to come. There were so many story lines to follow week-in and week-out, with none of them being bigger than the Broncos new and old quarterbacks; Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow.

The Broncos took a risk on what could go down as the best free-agent signing ever, when they inked Manning to a new deal, after coming off of four neck surgeries and missing the entire 2011 season.

Manning got off to a slow start, but as he grew more and more comfortable with the guys around him and they got more accustomed to him, he transformed back into the Manning we have all be accustomed to for all those years in Indianapolis. He and the Broncos ended up finishing on an 11-game winning streak and clinched the first-seed in the AFC playoffs.

Even though the Broncos fell short of the Super Bowl, losing to Baltimore in the divisional round, Manning gave the team and fans a glimpse of the next few years in Denver.

Aside from Manning, there were other key free-agent signings in 2012, but none of them had the impact that Manning had.

Here are the top free-agent signings from the 2012 season.

Carl Nicks, LG

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers spent lots of money last season, in an attempt to improve on their 2011 4-12 record.

One area they focused on was the offensive line, when they signed free-agent Carl Nicks to a five-year, $47.5 million deal.

Nicks started the first eight games, before being put on injured reserve for a toe injury.

A healthy Nicks in 2013 will help Josh Freeman and the Buccaneers offense compete in a tough NFC South division

Mario Williams, DE

The Buffalo Bills made the biggest splash in free-agency last season, signing defensive end Mario Williams to a six-year, $100 million contract.

It made Williams the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history and the Bills did not get a good return on their investment.

Williams played with a nagging hand/wrist injury most of the season and he was not the menace the Bills needed him to be.

Williams finished the season with 46 tackles and 10.5 sacks

Curtis Lofton, LB

When news broke about Bounty Gate, the New Orleans Saints knew they would need to reinforce their defense.

In particular, their linebacking corps. Saints top linebacker, Jonathan Vilma was due to miss the entire season because of a suspension from Bounty Gate, so they brought in Curtis Lofton from division rival Atlanta and Lofton fit in well with the league's worst defense in 2012.

Lofton started all 16 games and recorded 123 tackles, with seven passes defensed.

Under the direction of Rob Ryan in 2013, one can only imagine how well the Saints defense will be

. Brandon Lloyd, WR

"Is it a bird, is it a plane, is it OchoCinco?"

No, it's free-agent signing Brandon Lloyd. Is it any wonder Lloyd ended up back with Josh McDaniels (N.E. OC) when he had his best years as a receiver in McDaniels offense in Denver. And he had Kyle Orton throwing him the ball.

In New England, Lloyd was just another one of Brady's many targets on a weekly basis, but he was far better than the last Patriot to wear no. 85.

Lloyd actually got on the same page as Brady and had a few big catches late in the season.

Lloyd ended 2012 with 74 catches for 911 yards and four touchdowns. It is unknown if the Patriots will bring him back for 2013

Martellus Bennett, TE 

One teams garbage is another teams treasure and that's exactly what Martellus Bennett ended up being for the Cowboys and Giants.

Bennett finally got out from behind Jason Witten's shadow, but it was in Giant Blue. The Giants signed Bennett away from division foe Dallas and he had career highs in every offensive category.

Bennett became a go-to tight end for Eli Manning as he caught 55 balls, for 626 yards and five touchdowns.

The five year pro has a bright future in the pass happy Giants offense. Look for Bennett's production to increase even more in 2013

. Brandon Carr, CB

Brandon Carr was one of the most sought after free agents last season. Is it any wonder though, when good cover corners are hard to come by in a pass happy league.

Carr decided to sign with Big D in the off-season and he was one of the few bright spots on the Dallas defense.

The Cowboys ranked 19th in pass defense last year and ranked last, tied with the Chiefs with only seven interceptions.

Carr had three of the teams seven picks and he will improve upon these numbers as the Dallas defense improves

Cortland Finnegan, CB

Cortland Finnegan is a physical corner and he was the best defensive free agent signing of 2012.

Finnegan was drafted by Rams coach Jeff Fisher back in 2006, when he still coached the Titans.

Finnegan stepped right into his new digs in St. Louis and he didn't skip a beat. His hard-nose attitude fit right in with Fishers Rams and he found success on the field. The Rams will be a tough out in 2013 for any team.

Finnegan set a career-high in tackles with 101. His previous high was 100, in 2010 with the Titans. Finnegan also chipped in three interceptions and one for score

. Vincent Jackson, WR

Vincent Jackson traded in one nice weather city (San Diego), for another (Tampa Bay) in 2012.

Jackson brought a veteran presence to an otherwise young Buccaneers offense and he became Josh Freeman's favorite target.

Jackson, like many of the free agents on this list, set career high marks with his new team.

For Jackson, he set career-highs in receptions (72) and yards (1,384) and he added eight touchdowns.

Jackson should continue to get better the more he works with Freeman. If Doug Martin runs the ball in 2013 like he did last year, look for another big year from Freeman to Jackson

. Peyton Manning, QB

Ladies and gentleman, your number one free agent signing in 2012...

Peyton Manning.

Was there any doubt about this one at all? Manning exceeded the expectations of everyone last season, on his way to an MVP-caliber year.

After missing all of 2011 and switching teams, all Manning did was lead a good Broncos team to the AFC's no. 1 seed and best record.

Manning had his highest passer rating since 2004 with a 105.8 mark. He took control of the Broncos offense and it looked very familiar late in the season.
Manning finished with 4,659 yards passing, 37 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions.

He should own the AFC West for at least the next few years

Who Will Be the Top 2013 Free Agent?

Will Baltimore let Joe Flacco walk? It is highly unlikely, but who are the best gettable free agents this off-season.

Could Greg Jennings end up in Miami, or what about Wes Welker moving back down to South Beach.

Will the Dolphins let Reggie Bush go?

This off-season will be full of excitement with a large free agent pool developing before the March 12 signing period begins

http://www.footballnation.com/content/revisiting-the-top-10-nfl-free-agent-moves-from-2012/21464/
: February 17, 2013, 12:57:12 AM michael89156

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 17, 2013, 01:48:51 AM

I know Mario didn't earn his keep, but if he were on the bucs he would still be the best player on the defense besides LD, barber, and McCoy.

And it's a shame the bucs never had a chance at Cortland or manning. I knew they would be consistant players from one team to the next.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

CanadianBuc

Starter
#2 : February 17, 2013, 08:25:45 AM

I know Mario didn't earn his keep, but if he were on the bucs he would still be the best player on the defense besides LD, barber, and McCoy.

And it's a shame the bucs never had a chance at Cortland or manning. I knew they would be consistant players from one team to the next.

Imagine last years off-season if we signed Cortland Finnegan instead of Eric Wright! We would have had a decent secondary last year and a possible playoff berth

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 17, 2013, 08:36:48 AM

I think Finnegan would have been interested , also , if we were. Not sure what Dummynik was thinking on that one....

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 17, 2013, 10:06:10 AM

I don't think Finnegan ever considered going to Tampa. He followed the guy that drafted him. He was going to St Louis no matter what.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

lowlife

Starter
#5 : February 17, 2013, 11:46:22 AM

You can't just ignore the money part. You don't pay your 4th best defensive player franchise QB money (almost $17mil). VERY happy Dom avoided a huge mistake.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 17, 2013, 12:47:17 PM

Carr would of been a nice alternative to Wright.  But from what I understand, he wanted to play in Big D and no where else.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 17, 2013, 01:11:04 PM

I don't think Finnegan ever considered going to Tampa. He followed the guy that drafted him. He was going to St Louis no matter what.

This. He said from the get-go that he wanted to go to a place with friendly faces.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 17, 2013, 01:11:55 PM

Carr would of been a nice alternative to Wright.  But from what I understand, he wanted to play in Big D and no where else.

Very few guys want to play in one place. For the right cash I'm sure he'd only have eyes for Tampa. I think a lot of the "he only wants to be X" happens in the tampering period when agents find out who the best suitor is gonna be.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 17, 2013, 01:29:21 PM

Very few guys want to play in one place. For the right cash I'm sure he'd only have eyes for Tampa. I think a lot of the "he only wants to be X" happens in the tampering period when agents find out who the best suitor is gonna be.

He would of been a good fit here IMO.  Sign Carr, and draft Claiborne or Jenkins instead of Barron, and I think we see a much better 2012 record.   But you know what they say...hindsight is 20/20.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 17, 2013, 04:04:56 PM

He would of been a good fit here IMO.  Sign Carr, and draft Claiborne or Jenkins instead of Barron, and I think we see a much better 2012 record.   But you know what they say...hindsight is 20/20.

Not sure how that's hindsight.  I think a lot of people were discussing before the season started.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 17, 2013, 05:30:17 PM

I think Finnegan would have been interested , also , if we were. Not sure what Dummynik was thinking on that one....

I get a kick out of your use of the ridiculous word "dummynik". I'm curious, whats your level of education and career path look like?

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 17, 2013, 07:14:35 PM

I get a kick out of your use of the ridiculous word "dummynik". I'm curious, whats your level of education and career path look like?

DJ is a good poster, just misguided on dom. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 17, 2013, 07:57:53 PM

DJ is a good poster, just misguided on dom.

He [Dom] has done a pretty good job. A couple misses,  but what GM hits 100% ?   A lot of his rep hinges on what Freeman turns into.  Big season coming up for the team, Dom, and Freeman.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 17, 2013, 08:03:46 PM

I'm inclined to agree.... unless we blew St Louis' offer away.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Revisiting The Top NFL Free Agent Moves From 2012 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools