Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Da-Quan Bowers Arrested « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #90 : February 18, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »

He just really doesn't seem like the type of guy to do this.
exactly.

Seems so strange

To do what?  own a gun?  What a thug, engaging in a legal and constitutionally protected act. 

The problem was not being aware of the NY Nazi laws. I don't think that makes him any "type" of person.

I'm pretty sure that is is ILLEGAL to carry a gun on a plane.  I'm just guessing here but common sense should prevail.  Forget a "hi-jacking"...I'm talking about de-pressurizing the cabin or worse in case of accidental discharge(or just plain stupidity...oops...)
It is for carry on. You can legally check a gun in with your luggage

Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container in or as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames and receivers, are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

This is right off the site and they have it in bold.  Hopefully, this is all a misunderstanding but if he had ammo with the gun or the gun was loaded...he is a moron.

Again, when in doubt err on the side of caution.  I don't even want unloaded firearms on the plane and who determines if it is loaded or not?  TSA?  Rules are freaking rules...

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #91 : February 18, 2013, 08:53:54 PM »

Dumb move. I'd say I hope he doesn't go to prison, but he deserves to. Smh

Definitely want to lock up someone who puts people at risk by attempting to have a gun locked away in a bag in the belly of a plane, far from anyone's reach.

When the story coming out is that he had the gun in his bag and told the people when checking his bag.....you have to be pretty dumb to say he deserves to go to jail. Just my opinion of course.

If that is the story you are  right. here is a guy with that exact scenario from last year, no jail time:
'
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Tea-Party-Leader-Gun-Possession-LaGuardia-Airport-LGA-Plea-Guilty-137198318.html

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #92 : February 18, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »

Well...he learns his lesson the hard way.

If the weapon is registered, he should be alright. I am not so certain what the penalty could be regarding carrying a loaded gun onto an airliner. But I doubt that it is even remotely as bad as having the gun without having it registered.

Think Plaxico. The guy did time for having the gun in NY without a valid NY registration. Poor guy shot himself, and still did two years. Bowers...please tell me the gun was registered in NY.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #93 : February 18, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »

Definitely want to lock up someone who puts people at risk by attempting to have a gun locked away in a bag in the belly of a plane, far from anyone's reach.

When the story coming out is that he had the gun in his bag and told the people when checking his bag.....you have to be pretty dumb to say he deserves to go to jail. Just my opinion of course.

If that is the story you are  right. here is a guy with that exact scenario from last year, no jail time:
'
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Tea-Party-Leader-Gun-Possession-LaGuardia-Airport-LGA-Plea-Guilty-137198318.html

But Bowers situation is reported as different . .  he was reportedly trying to get on the plane:

"NBCNewYork.com reports that Bowers was arrested at LaGuardia Airport on Monday morning after police discovered he was illegally carrying a handgun. Bowers had a loaded .40 caliber firearm in his carry-on bag as he was attempting to get on a US Airways flight to Raleigh, North Carolina."

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\'s Cancer Center

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #94 : February 18, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »

Well...he learns his lesson the hard way.

If the weapon is registered, he should be alright. I am not so certain what the penalty could be regarding carrying a loaded gun onto an airliner. But I doubt that it is even remotely as bad as having the gun without having it registered.

Think Plaxico. The guy did time for having the gun in NY without a valid NY registration. Poor guy shot himself, and still did two years. Bowers...please tell me the gun was registered in NY.

Plaxico's case was more about discharging a concealed weapon in a club than about registration . .  well that and about Plaxico being a very high-profile defendant.  Bowers is not as high-profile but it appears  he was actually carrying the gun on the plane, which is very bad.

YReceiver14

Starter

« #95 : February 18, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »

It wasn't even really loaded:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/nfl_lineman_busted_with_loaded_pistol_55pfddDqtjHbVlOXn4Jx9M

Sources believe Bowers arrived in New York with the gun on Friday, and was carrying the piece and a clip with eight rounds in a carry-on bag.

“The two of them were in the same bag, under the law it’s considered a loaded gun,” the source said.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

YReceiver14

Starter

« #96 : February 18, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »

'

But Bowers situation is reported as different . .  he was reportedly trying to get on the plane:

"NBCNewYork.com reports that Bowers was arrested at LaGuardia Airport on Monday morning after police discovered he was illegally carrying a handgun. Bowers had a loaded .40 caliber firearm in his carry-on bag as he was attempting to get on a US Airways flight to Raleigh, North Carolina."

That's generic wording at best.  I've read elsewhere that he notified them at the ticket counter.

"The fact that Bowers wasn’t caught with the gun but volunteered to airport employees that he had the weapon in his bag may not matter.  New York has tough gun laws, with a 3.5-year mandatory minimum for second-degree possession."
« : February 18, 2013, 09:04:57 PM YReceiver14 »

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #97 : February 18, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/nfl_lineman_busted_with_loaded_pistol_55pfddDqtjHbVlOXn4Jx9M

Sources believe Bowers arrived in New York with the gun on Friday, and was carrying the piece and a clip with eight rounds in a carry-on bag.

“The two of them were in the same bag, under the law it’s considered a loaded gun,” the source said.

TSA is CLEAR about this.  No ammo.  What's the problem?  Don't bring guns and ammo on a plane.  Seriously?  There is an argument to this?

YReceiver14

Starter

« #98 : February 18, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »

TSA is CLEAR about this.  No ammo.  What's the problem?  Don't bring guns and ammo on a plane.  Seriously?  There is an argument to this?

The perception of this matters on whether or not he gets out of jail time.  If he didn't have malicious/secretive intent, if he told employees about it instead of try to get through security, if it wasn't even truly loaded, if he hasn't had past run-ins with the law... all of this counts on tipping the scales in his favor.

As the facts are right now, I don't think he needs to be "educated" with jail time for this.  This sounds like a costly mistake, so far.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #99 : February 18, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »

So it is okay to be un-secretive(probably not even a word but I am responding) and stupid?

As a GUN OWNER it is your duty to educate yourself on gun laws in your own state and those which you want to travel with said gun.  Ignorance is not an acceptable defense and I personally hate it when people try to fall back on that.  Owning a gun is a huge responsibility and those who are unable to follow the laws?  Sorry but no kid gloves.  This isn't like jaywalking.  Guns kill people to contrary belief.  And I would venture a theory that if he is this irresponsible with his gun it is best he doesn't carry one.

ufcguy32

Starter

« #100 : February 18, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »

i think the state of new york needs a reality check here. if this kid gets any and i mean anytime in jail  I think there needs to be some type of common sense. The problem here is blanket laws that leave no room for discretion and then you have idiots who pidgeon hole and state well a law is a law.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out. The kid made a mistake.  no one is hurt. move the fuk on. its ridiculous. Whoever is responsible for these laws should immediately be voted out of office.  It's draconian laws like these that make us all realize that anyone can make an innocent mistake and lose everything. This is and should never be the intent of any law.  I for one hope the buccaneers and anyone including our own senators here step up and let them know that this is first and foremost WRONG AND I MEAN WRONG ON EVERY LEVEL.  im disgusted with the lack of common sense here by all authorities involved especially when you can tell he was trying to do the right thing and not intentionally breaking a law.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #101 : February 18, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »

So he clearly wasn't trying to sneak the gun on. What is your option if you make a mistake with the gun?  Right now the way this idiotic law is written you are better off trying to sneak it on the plane than going to the authorities to turn the thing in. 

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #102 : February 18, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »

I don't think he deserves jail time.  I do think he was irresponsible.  I do think he took his gun ownership too lightly. 

What is my option if I make a mistake with a gun?  Is that a trick question?  I probably don't deserve the right to bear arms again.  And that would just be the beginning. 

This isn't about "rights" it is about responsibility.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #103 : February 18, 2013, 09:55:14 PM »

I don't think he deserves jail time.  I do think he was irresponsible.  I do think he took his gun ownership too lightly. 

What is my option if I make a mistake with a gun?  Is that a trick question?  I probably don't deserve the right to bear arms again.  And that would just be the beginning. 

This isn't about "rights" it is about responsibility.

Are you an idiot or arguing with the voices in your head? Do you see anyone arguing that this:

1. Isn't insanely dumb?
2. Deserving of some punishment?

The question is does this deserve jail time - and a possible 3.5 years? I didn't have a problem with the Plax sentence. I mean loaded gun (really loaded not bullets in the same general area as the gun), concealed, in a public place and actual discharge of the weapon. I get it. This OTOH doesn't rise to that level - heck the guy likely thought he was doing the right thing telling them "Oops I brought the gun".

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #104 : February 18, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »

From PFT:

The fact that Bowers wasn’t caught with the gun but volunteered to airport employees that he had the weapon in his bag may not matter.  New York has tough gun laws, with a 3.5-year mandatory minimum for second-degree possession.

The only question for Bowers is whether the powers-that-be will choose to attempt to make an example out of the 2011 second-round pick.  Since there’s no real difference between second-degree possession and third-degree possession, which has no minimum sentence, prosecutors could cut Bowers a break, if they choose to.

In the context of the Burress case, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN pointed out the wide differences that often arise in cases of this nature, with 24 percent of the defendants who entered a guilty plea to third-degree criminal possession of a weapon being sentenced to possession with no jail time.

Hopefully, the prosecutors WILL cut Bowers a break. :'(

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality
  Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Da-Quan Bowers Arrested « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools