Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Colts looking to sign Sean Smith « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 19, 2013, 12:02:01 AM

Sean Smith | Defensive Back

Team:  Miami Dolphins

Age / DOB:   (25) / 7/14/1987

Ht / Wt:   6'3' / 214

College:  Utah

Contract: 
  • 2013: Free Agent

:   
 Latest News/Recent News

The Anderson Herald Bulletin's George Bremer says the Colts "could look to reunite" free agent CB Sean Smith with ex-Dolphins teammate CB Vontae Davis.Smith, of course, is in limbo with the Dolphins on whether he will be franchise-tagged or not. According to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post, 25-year-old Smith is said to be looking for $8 million annually on his next contract. Currently, the Colts are about $43 million under the salary cap for 2013. Smith would certainly be an upgrade on Jerraud Powers and company.

Feb 18 - 8:13 PM

Source: George Bremer on Twitter

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald insists the Dolphins will not use the franchise tag on free agent CB Sean Smith."The Dolphins will NOT use their tag on Sean Smith," tweeted Salguero. "Period." The Herald and the Palm Beach Post have been in complete disagreement over this issue for the entire offseason. The Post reported earlier on Monday that Smith was "preparing" for the tag, but "rooting strongly against it." Teams could start tagging players on Monday, and they can do so all the way up until March 4.

Feb 18 - 6:58 PM

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#1 : February 19, 2013, 12:34:10 AM

I've read he's competitive, so I wonder how he would feel about going back to be in Vontae Davis's shadow again?

Tampafan8251

Starter
#2 : February 19, 2013, 12:44:19 AM

I think it is going to come down to Smith or Cox for us in FA, I feel like with our new DB coach Cox has the inside track, i'm sure when he was interviewed Derek Cox was brought up, we'll see in a few weeks

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#3 : February 19, 2013, 01:18:24 AM

I think it is going to come down to Smith or Cox for us in FA, I feel like with our new DB coach Cox has the inside track, i'm sure when he was interviewed Derek Cox was brought up, we'll see in a few weeks
That's a good point.  His inability to stay healthy does scare me...a lot.  It could also mean a much more reasonable contract than Smith is looking for.  I wonder if we could sign both Cox and Toler for the same price Smith is asking?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 19, 2013, 01:42:48 AM

You both make good points IMO.   Colts are 40mil under the cap?   Smith might prefer to come to the Bucs, where he could be the man. With a couple new draft picks under him.

Smith and Toler would be nice with a drafted CB or 2 mixed in.  Keep Leonard, Gaiter and maybe Gorrer.

It will depend on if Dom wants to shell out that much cash for Smith.  I  love his size though.

Tampafan8251

Starter
#5 : February 19, 2013, 02:02:47 AM

Either one would be our number one. When healthy cox is a better corner than smith. From reading it seems coxs injuries have been from freak accidents and if we do sign him lets hope our strength coach can help him out because he has the ability to be a shutdown corner

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#6 : February 19, 2013, 02:42:13 AM

Either one would be our number one. When healthy cox is a better corner than smith. From reading it seems coxs injuries have been from freak accidents and if we do sign him lets hope our strength coach can help him out because he has the ability to be a shutdown corner
I honestly don't know much about Cox's strengths and weaknesses.  Can he be effective in press coverage?  Is he physical enough to play in Schiano's system?  If the answer is yes, then sign him up to a incentive laden contract.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 19, 2013, 03:07:58 AM

Well.. we will have to see how it plays out.  Smith might get too expensive for Dom's taste.

He is represented by David Cantor, a well known agent who reps about 20 NFL players.  And I can assume he will be looking for top dollar money for Smith.  Something in the 8-10mil range.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 19, 2013, 07:30:03 AM

It's a shorter move to tampa , Sean . Right down the road , baby.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BucsWin31

Starter

#9 : February 19, 2013, 09:49:23 AM

It's a shorter move to tampa , Sean . Right down the road , baby.
+1 I hope we go at him aggressively like we did VJax, not saying give him VJax money but do what it takes.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 19, 2013, 10:11:43 AM

Both of these guys are being seriously overrated by fans because we are desperate.  Neither is a #1 corner.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 19, 2013, 10:21:29 AM

Miami had the 12th ranked defense in regards to passing yards against. Cox came in 10th overall in ints. Another interesting note, wright and talib both tied for tds in 7th place. Nowhere in my research into stats did I see Smith in the top 50 on anything other than FF and pass deflects. His best game was against AZ, who, well..they suck.

Now, I guess it depends on what some of you are looking for, but smith will not be good in coverage. He will be strong on the tackle, and he will get in the way against some of the taller WRs. Remember though, he's asking for 8mil per year, and that's a lot for a non island corner. Smaller-faster WRs will eat him up on long routes.

Just saying here.. I run a 4.5 40 and I'm nothing but a benchwarmer these days. His best time was clocked at 4.5. Just a worrisome thought.

Not saying we shouldn't reach for the guy, but just wanting to understand the FA obsession with him. He's not all-that. Out of the top guys, I just don't see a whole lot of difference in talent level.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Tampafan8251

Starter
#12 : February 19, 2013, 10:48:20 AM

I never said they are legit number 1's but they def have the potential to be.

lowlife

Starter

#13 : February 19, 2013, 12:43:52 PM

Both of these guys are being seriously overrated by fans because we are desperate.  Neither is a #1 corner.
On this team they are.

bucs4eva

Pro Bowler

#14 : February 19, 2013, 12:52:17 PM

On this team they are.

That's not saying much

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Colts looking to sign Sean Smith « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools