Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A different approach to the offseason « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 20, 2013, 07:24:51 PM

A 3rd receiver in the 1st round? Noooo, If we're going offense, get a RT.
History shows you're much more likely to find an impact WR in the top 15 and an impact RT at 45 than a RT at 15 and WR at 45.

Fine get our franchise LT and let Penn play RT. I just don't think another WR is going to win us games. I'd be in favor of it in 2 or 3 years though. Right now we need to identify which CB(s) are going to be stars. No easy task, but we need someone that can shut down Julio Jones and friends for us to dominate

swamp_bats

Starter
#16 : February 20, 2013, 07:50:19 PM

A 3rd receiver in the 1st round? Noooo, If we're going offense, get a RT.
History shows you're much more likely to find an impact WR in the top 15 and an impact RT at 45 than a RT at 15 and WR at 45.

Fine get our franchise LT and let Penn play RT. I just don't think another WR is going to win us games. I'd be in favor of it in 2 or 3 years though. Right now we need to identify which CB(s) are going to be stars. No easy task, but we need someone that can shut down Julio Jones and friends for us to dominate
I doubt Fisher or Joeckel will be there at 13 and in my scenerio

o I had us taking a RT with our next pick. A WR would pay bigger in the next few years
They will eventually have more than one PK on the roster as well, that doesn't mean that Barth's job will be in jeopardy.

While Koenen may not be the best punter in the league, he is player that serves his purpose and is good at punting as well as KO duties. Cutting him does nothing to help us cap-wise and replaces a solid player for a player who could end up sucking and leading to another revolving door situation at the P position. I understand the $ issue that people have, but cutting him does not make the team better from either a personnel standpoint, nor a financial standpoint.

The average salary of the top 8 punters salary-wise, ranges between $2mil and $3.6mil. Koenen is tucked in there at #3 and will be left alone, until he stops being a quality punter.
Well he was 30th in net punting this year, I wouldn't call that quality punting, plus Henry also can handle kickoffs. Why is it you guys don't think $3.2 isn't a lot of cap space? It may seem like not very much cause we have $30+ but when the contracts start flowing out $3.2 would help a lot. We have a lot of smaller contract guys we need to resign and it is gonna add up quick.(Biggers, Economos, Te'o-Nashiem, Blount, Miller etc...)
: February 20, 2013, 07:54:39 PM swamp_bats

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 20, 2013, 09:17:35 PM

I personally don't put too much stock in the 30th in net yards, since that is a stat for special teams as a whole, rather than just Koenen. If your ST unit gives up a lot of yards once the returner catches the ball..then of course that stat will be bad. Though he was 21st in yards per punt....neither one of those stats tell the whole story of each punt and how they came about situationally. It doesn't tell how many of those punts occurred just outside of FG range and a booming punt may not have been required of Koenen...etc, etc. Watching the games from last year, it was rare that we saw a bad punt or a punt go awry....and for what the league will pay for Punters in 2013, $3.5mil is not all that bad. In the grand scheme of things, we are talking about 2% of the teams total salary going to the punter....and it's nto a for sure thing that the guy off the street will be able to match the success rate of Koenen in terms of KOs. I certainly am not a huge fan of the punter, or anything...I just don't see much benefit of cutting him loose.

I would definitely not read too much into that PR article....it's a slow point in the offseason...gotta write about something.
: February 20, 2013, 09:25:49 PM chace1986

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 20, 2013, 09:48:33 PM

Why would we cut Koenen? $3.2mil in terms of the entire teams cap, is not very much. Cutting him just creates another hole and you are doing so to save next to nothing.

..and if we are going WR in the 1st round, give me Patterson.
3.2 is a lot for a punter
sigh at wanting us to need draft, worst approach you can have. This years CB crop doesn't scream draft me in round one please...
[/quote]

Koenan does kickoffs also, and did a pretty damn good job of it last season.   A very high percentage of touchbacks.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A different approach to the offseason « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools