Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Combine 40 times may sway Bucs most important draft-day decision « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 19, 2013, 02:16:17 AM

Combine 40 times may sway Bucs most important draft-day decision

by Roy Cummings

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:08 PM

BY ROY CUMMINGS
 Tribune Staff

TAMPA

The 40-yard dash is always one of the most highly watched events at the NFL Scouting Combine and you can bet the Buccaneers brass will be watching it closely when the cornerbacks run it this year.

The speeds that cornerback prospects Dee Milliner of Alabama, Johnthan Banks of Mississippi State and Desmond Trufant of Washington post could determine whether the Bucs use the 13th overall pick on a corner or opt for something else.

That, at least, is how NFL.com analyst and draft expert Mike Mayock sees the situation possibly playing out.

Mayock said during a conference call with NFL media on Monday that he doesnt see Milliner as a top-10 prospect right now, but that his opinion would change if Milliner were to run a sub-4.5-second 40 at the combine.

And while Mayock doesnt currently consider either Banks or Trufant to be first-round worthy talents, he said his opinion would likely change on that front as well if either were to run a sub 4.5 40.

If either (Banks or Trufant) can run in that 4.42 or 4.44 range, both could be a potential (pick for the Bucs) at 13, Mayock said. Its a little high, a little earlier than you like, but Banks has got range and he tackles well.

Hes the one guy that, if he can run well he could be worthy of a 13th pick. People like his length (Banks stands 6-foot-2) and hes got some press (coverage) ability. But hes going to have to run in that 4.4 range.

If NFL scouts are thinking the same way Mayock is a poor 40-time by Milliner and a good 40-times by either Banks, Trufant or both could leave the Bucs with a choice or cornerback prospects to choose from at No. 13.

Of course, the opposite could prove true, too. A good 40-time by Milliner and less than stellar times by Banks and Trufant may force the Bucs to opt for something other than a cornerback with the 13th pick.

Mayock agrees with a lot of other draft analysts that a linebacker such as Alec Ogletree of Georgia or Manti Teo of Notre Dame might be a good fit at that spot for the Bucs.

Both are considered to be very good in coverage and NFL ready, which means either could step in as the starting middle linebacker, allowing Mason Foster to move to the strongside spot as a replacement for Quincy Black.

A move like that might improve the Bucs pass coverage almost as much as adding a corner because Foster has often struggled in coverage, particularly deep down the seam against both wideouts tight ends.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 19, 2013, 03:21:21 AM

Mayock agrees with a lot of other draft analysts that a linebacker such as Alec Ogletree of Georgia or Manti Teo of Notre Dame might be a good fit at that spot for the Bucs.

Both are considered to be very good in coverage and NFL ready, which means either could step in as the starting middle linebacker, allowing Mason Foster to move to the strongside spot as a replacement for Quincy Black.

I like the sounds of that, but not those 2 LB's.  Maybe Kevin Minter.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 19, 2013, 07:33:27 AM

But.....but..... jdouble says 40 times don't matter !!

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 19, 2013, 07:59:28 AM

everyone knows 40 times matter. the player we are looking at with the most important 40 time is xavier rhodes. he runs a decent 40 and hes a lock for the 1st round. if not we need to grab him in the 2nd

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 19, 2013, 12:03:37 PM

Xavier rhodes' 40 time is probably the most important out of all the cornerbacks...and he isn't even mentioned.

Yeah...lets draft DUI Ogletree or make belive Teo. That will make us better.....what a bunch of garbage. I think Mayock picked up a crack habit this off season.

Draft Aaron Donald

Hate

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 19, 2013, 12:07:41 PM

Dom spoke about this very subject at breakfast this a.m., said they do their player rankings prior to the combine based off of game tape so they aren't swayed by 40 times. Stated that often times, a guy projected in the 4th becomes a 2nd after they run and he doesn't want what happens in shorts influencing what the player has actually put on tape.

-------------------------------------------------------

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 19, 2013, 01:16:18 PM

Dom spoke about this very subject at breakfast this a.m., said they do their player rankings prior to the combine based off of game tape so they aren't swayed by 40 times. Stated that often times, a guy projected in the 4th becomes a 2nd after they run and he doesn't want what happens in shorts influencing what the player has actually put on tape.

But...but...Doloris says......eh. Who cares what Doloris says?

Draft Aaron Donald

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#7 : February 19, 2013, 02:44:52 PM

in terms of indicating future nfl success, they don't matter.

In terms of effecting someone's draft stock, they matter to some teams.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 19, 2013, 02:49:32 PM

in terms of indicating future nfl success, they don't matter.

In terms of effecting someone's draft stock, they matter to some teams.

There is no doubt the some GMs allow 40 times to sway them.... Heyward-Bey is a prime example of that. However, Jerry Rice proved that 40 times do not translate into football speed and the good GMs are aware of that.

I wonder who ran a faster 40, Martin or Wilson?

-------------------------------------------------------

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 19, 2013, 03:23:54 PM

Bench press doesnt show you how good a lineman is either. Surprise!

Draft Aaron Donald

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 19, 2013, 03:57:14 PM

Bench press doesnt show you how good a lineman is either. Surprise!

True, but it could have told you that Keith McCants was lazy.

This should the 40 matter or should it not stuff is inconsequential. The reality is it does matter to certain teams and can cause players to rise and fall - I hate to defend Roy Cummings, but all that article is saying is that the subsequent rise and fall will affect the Bucs.

Here's another reality - fast guys typically run fast 40s. If a player who looks like he runs fast on tape doesn't at the combine, you might want to double check the tape.  Maybe you still take him, maybe you don't.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 19, 2013, 03:58:18 PM

Let's just draft all slow, unathletic players so we don't have to worry about getting burned by workout warriors.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 19, 2013, 04:14:42 PM

I understand the dislike of workout warriors, but a lot of this board takes it too far. 

I think you can learn quite a bit from the combine, beyond the pure numbers. A lot of the drills are designed to expose flaws - can corners flip hips, can linemen stay low/?  Sure, a lot of that is on tape - but tape can only tell you what they were doing, not whether they can do it. In other words, is it a problem of fundamentals/coaching, or are their athletic limitations involved?

I'd again point out that fast guys run fast, quick guys typically do well at the quick drills, and guys who can jump, tend to jump high.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 19, 2013, 04:21:27 PM

Start running all the events in full pads and helmet. Until then, the interviews are the most important part of the combine.

Draft Aaron Donald

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 19, 2013, 04:39:16 PM

I'd be all for it, JD, but I don't think for a second it would change the relative numbers of more than a couple of players.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Combine 40 times may sway Bucs most important draft-day decision « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools