Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS BOWERS BONDS OUT, CHARGES AND FUTURE UNCERTAIN « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 19, 2013, 02:48:25 PM

I think Da'Quan will be fine.  Dude can afford a good lawyer.

"After a full and fair investigation of the facts and circumstances regarding this registered firearm Mr. Bowers will be fully exonerated,'' attorney Dennis Coppin wrote in an email to The Tribune on Tuesday.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bucs/2013/feb/19/1/attorney-bucs-de-bowers-will-be-exonerated-of-gun-ar-638335/

Yeah but what defense attorney doesn't say that?

Hate

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 19, 2013, 02:52:43 PM

I think Da'Quan will be fine.  Dude can afford a good lawyer.

"After a full and fair investigation of the facts and circumstances regarding this registered firearm Mr. Bowers will be fully exonerated,'' attorney Dennis Coppin wrote in an email to The Tribune on Tuesday.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/bucs/2013/feb/19/1/attorney-bucs-de-bowers-will-be-exonerated-of-gun-ar-638335/

To be fair, this is Coppin... Bowers' attorney, giving his opinion.  The case hasn't even been heard yet.

Nawwww??

-------------------------------------------------------

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 19, 2013, 03:11:51 PM

So much for doing the right thing. Buccaneers DE DeQuan Bowers travels to NY from NC. WHile in NY he realizes he has a loaded pistol in his carry-on. A registered pistol that he forgot to leave in SC. He brings the mistake to the Airlines attention rather than go through security and get caught.

For his honesty Bowers gets arrested. and charged with a felony. Where is the common sense in Law Enforcement. I guess it's just another notch for the NYPD. We got another athlete.

Yes Bowers was stupid. but was it a crime. That's a grey area IMO.

My bigger question would be how did Bowers get from SC to NY? Did he fly and if he did, why wasn't the weapon found then.

unfortunately in Nazi states like NY that is a crime. they dont allow for a grey area. NY is turning into a police state where having a 20oz soda is a captial crime. common sense is not a common thing in NY

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#18 : February 19, 2013, 03:12:20 PM

My bigger question would be how did Bowers get from SC to NY? Did he fly and if he did, why wasn't the weapon found then.
[/quote]

It was probably in his checked bag which is legal.  From everything I've read that is where he made his mistake.  Upon packing for his return trip he packed the gun in his carry-on versus his checked bag. 

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#19 : February 19, 2013, 03:17:13 PM

Why didn't he just throw the gun away and buy a new one when he got home? Wouldn't that have been cheaper than his lawyer fees?
LOL

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#20 : February 19, 2013, 03:52:08 PM

Why didn't he just throw the gun away and buy a new one when he got home? Wouldn't that have been cheaper than his lawyer fees?

You clearly aren't a gun owner.

Better yet, just leave it at home! Problem solved.

Not that either.  People that are legally allowed to carry should be allowed to do so.  It's incredibly dumb and irresponsible to not know where your gun is at all times and I can't fathom how somebody couldn't know.

Yes, he should have left it at home. If he leaves it at home, locked away, then he knows exactly where it is. It's incredibly dumb and irresponsible to be a gun owner, yet break laws pertaining to firearms...no matter how strict they may be.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Sailing2smth

Starter

#21 : February 19, 2013, 04:00:40 PM

It was probably in his checked bag which is legal.  From everything I've read that is where he made his mistake.  Upon packing for his return trip he packed the gun in his carry-on versus his checked bag.
[/quote]

I don't believe everything that I read in the media and until all the facts...true facts surrounding this issue are fully released, I will base this incident as a guy that was not too well versed with NY gun laws in terms of transporting/owning weapons. Because it is not illegal to own a gun in America nor is it illegal to transport one on a plane via checked baggage.  There are stipulations to both of course and each state has the right to impose laws regulating the transport and ownership of weapons.  But this is a guy that has had a stellar record from his days in college, is not a trouble maker, and has a record of being a solid all around good guy. 

DE Bowers - this fan is still in your corner until proven otherwise!!!

Hate

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 19, 2013, 04:09:55 PM

Yes, he should have left it at home. If he leaves it at home, locked away, then he knows exactly where it is. It's incredibly dumb and irresponsible to be a gun owner, yet break laws pertaining to firearms...no matter how strict they may be.

If you can't carry it with you, why have it?

-------------------------------------------------------

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 19, 2013, 04:21:29 PM

(Fingers crossed)

Daquan, you gotta be smarter than that regarding an instrument of death. Just to "forget" is never an excuse.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 19, 2013, 04:22:33 PM

If you can't carry it with you, why have it?

If one of your "musts" is improperly carrying in NYC, then I suppose you should exercise your right to not have one.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#25 : February 19, 2013, 04:49:27 PM

Lol, I love when someone is reponsible and does the right thing yet still get charges brought forth. Yes it was a dumb mistake putting it in the wrong luggage, but he tried to rectify it by notifying authorities. Instead hes facing a felony.

To the person who said he should of dispossed of the weapon....youre a complete moron. What if a child finds the weapon and injures or kills themself or someone else and they find the weapon is registered to him? Then he has a definite prison sentence.

I guess an admitted honest mistake is longer veiwed as such. Its also silly to expect someone to never make a simple mistake just because a weapon is involved. It wasnt a mistake that jepordized anyones well being or safety. You know, the reason gun laws exist in the first place.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#26 : February 19, 2013, 04:55:52 PM

While I think Bowers clearly made a mistake and should be up on the gun laws in all states, the self righteous preening in this thread and others on the board is hysterical.

At any rate, he'll likely have it either dismissed as long as he doesn't committ a further felony within a stated time (this would keep a felony conviction off the record) or plead to a lesser offense with a fine and probation.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Sailing2smth

Starter

#27 : February 19, 2013, 05:03:29 PM

While I think Bowers clearly made a mistake and should be up on the gun laws in all states, the self righteous preening in this thread and others on the board is hysterical.

THANK YOU!!

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#28 : February 19, 2013, 05:07:21 PM

Lol, I love when someone is reponsible and does the right thing yet still get charges brought forth. Yes it was a dumb mistake putting it in the wrong luggage, but he tried to rectify it by notifying authorities. Instead hes facing a felony.

To the person who said he should of dispossed of the weapon....youre a complete moron. What if a child finds the weapon and injures or kills themself or someone else and they find the weapon is registered to him? Then he has a definite prison sentence.

I guess an admitted honest mistake is longer veiwed as such. Its also silly to expect someone to never make a simple mistake just because a weapon is involved. It wasnt a mistake that jepordized anyones well being or safety. You know, the reason gun laws exist in the first place.

While I agree with your sentiment...NYC doesn't look at this lightly and they aren't going to have a "Oh Da'Quan, you silly goose" reaction to what they deem a felony offense. If all circumstances are rationally considered, he will probably get off with probation and a fine...but this certainly won't be looked at as if he accidently walked out a grocery store without paying for a pack of gum...and he runs back in and pays.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 19, 2013, 05:24:03 PM

THANK YOU!!

You do realize that be able to rember and differentiate the gun laws of all 50 states is practically impossible right. They vary greatly from state to state. Is not like each one has the same basics and only a couple different ones. Lawyers dont even have knowledge of all 50 states laws. Thas why licensing is based on a per state rquirement. Expecting the average person to know an understand the laws of 50 different states when almost every lawyer in the country doesnt is asinine.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BUCS BOWERS BONDS OUT, CHARGES AND FUTURE UNCERTAIN « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools