Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs free agent strategy baffles me « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

jhop88

Hall of Famer

« #15 : March 14, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »

I see a lot of CB's that are better than average (or were) on the market, and Goldson isn't a cover guy, so yeah I am not sold with the Bucs approach at all.

Well I guess the quality of CBs are up to opinion but I don't see the quality in them. Just a bunch of big names without the talent to match. But were are you getting that Goldson is not a cover guy?

Several articles say similar to this...

"While Goldson, who will turn 29 in mid-September, picked off 14 passes over the past four season in San Francisco, he struggled down the stretch in coverage — particularly in the NFC title game against Atlanta."

How dare he struggle against an offense loaded w/talent...Ryan, Gonzalez, Jones, and White...awful talent I tell ya.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #16 : March 14, 2013, 10:26:37 PM »

I see a lot of CB's that are better than average (or were) on the market, and Goldson isn't a cover guy, so yeah I am not sold with the Bucs approach at all.

Well I guess the quality of CBs are up to opinion but I don't see the quality in them. Just a bunch of big names without the talent to match. But were are you getting that Goldson is not a cover guy?

"While Goldson, who will turn 29 in mid-September, picked off 14 passes over the past four season in San Francisco, he struggled down the stretch in coverage — particularly in the NFC title game against Atlanta."

How dare he struggle against an offense loaded w/talent...Ryan, Gonzalez, Jones, and White...awful talent I tell ya.

Goldson will have to face that offense two times a year now, so yeah I am worried.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

« #17 : March 14, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »

Free agency is not over.

Yes thanks for the obvious but I am not liking how this is all going down.

It's unnerving, but we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. We will not ignore our biggest need in free agency IMO.

jhop88

Hall of Famer

« #18 : March 14, 2013, 10:27:33 PM »

So now the Goldson signing is questionable?

C'mon guys, relax.

Madman

Hall of Famer
« #19 : March 14, 2013, 10:28:23 PM »

Bucs signed a pro bowl player in their prime. A guy the 49ers franchised last year. A guy who brought toughhness and leadership.  I'd say this D could use a few guys like that. They'll get CB help.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

« #20 : March 14, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »

Dominik isn't a guy who makes eccentric but correct moves. All of his "wtf?" moves have all turned out into bad situations. There was nothing genius about the contracts of guys like Clayton, Black, Ward, Wright, and a few other of his terrible signings. People rightfully questioned them from the start.

What you're seeing right now is probably what you're going to get. We overpaid for a guy who isn't a coverage safety, and we let a solid DE walk despite him coming cheap. We've let decent #2 CBs sign on for cheap elsewhere.

GatorBuc85

Pro Bowler

« #21 : March 14, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »

With what they did last year with Nicks, Jackson, Clark, Barron, Martin and David... I have faith that they know what they are doing. It sucks sitting here waiting, but oh well.

Last year's draft was one of the deepest and best in NFL history.   All teams greatly improved themselves last year.   This year the draft sucks.   Don't expect any big splash players this year.
They made excellent choices. David and Martin were in the top group for their positions. Doug was what, 4th in yards? David was top 5 in tackles.... The FA pickups were great. They made excellent decisions.

-Chase

Our fans suck!

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

« #22 : March 14, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »

A top notch safety tandem does a team no good unless you have the Cornerbacks to compliment them. The Bucs have failed over several years to bring in quality CB help. I'm disappointed with this approach. Hopefully the Bucs can pull off Revis and Grimes. Either that or we are looking at Rookies as our starting CB.

Is anyone comfortable with that.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #23 : March 15, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »

It's not completely unprecedented for a rookie CB to play well his rookie season but it isn't exactly common either.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #24 : March 15, 2013, 01:34:14 AM »

"While Goldson, who will turn 29 in mid-September, picked off 14 passes over the past four season in San Francisco, he struggled down the stretch in coverage —
particularly in the NFC title game against Atlanta."

The niners secondary had issues with Julio Jones in the first half but they cleaned it up in the second half.

Just because ATL I had a good game plan and confused their coverages should not reflect negatively on the players.

Just like our corners looked terrible in the Rutgers scheme but thrived in the cover two zone we played v. ATL.
Its all subjective to scheme and coaches ability to make adjustments.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #25 : March 15, 2013, 07:47:09 AM »

With what they did last year with Nicks, Jackson, Clark, Barron, Martin and David... I have faith that they know what they are doing. It sucks sitting here waiting, but oh well.

Last year's draft was one of the deepest and best in NFL history.   All teams greatly improved themselves last year.   This year the draft sucks.   Don't expect any big splash players this year.

Completely and I mean completely untrue. This is a weak RB and QB draft. All other areas are strong and or very deep.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #26 : March 15, 2013, 07:50:09 AM »

I'll spell it out because most of this forum can't see it. We don't want mediocre players with big contracts on this team, ala Eric Wright. So we aren't signing all these questionable CBs because we don't believe they are true difference makers.

We need safety and CB help the most. We signed a huge impact player at FS and we're working on signing/trading a huge impact player at CB.

Sean Smith, Asomugha, DRC, Grimes......none of these guys are the answer. They are slight upgrades in skill with large differences in paycheck. We're trying to get impact players, we can sign depth or slightly better than depth guys later, now we need another Pro bowl corner.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

carrollwoodbucsfan

Rookie

« #27 : March 15, 2013, 07:59:45 AM »

Wow in the tbo sports  section today dominick says we wont fill our cornerback needs  until the draft and i dont mind starting young players

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #28 : March 15, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »

I'll spell it out because most of this forum can't see it. We don't want mediocre players with big contracts on this team, ala Eric Wright. So we aren't signing all these questionable CBs because we don't believe they are true difference makers.

We need safety and CB help the most. We signed a huge impact player at FS and we're working on signing/trading a huge impact player at CB.

Sean Smith, Asomugha, DRC, Grimes......none of these guys are the answer. They are slight upgrades in skill with large differences in paycheck. We're trying to get impact players, we can sign depth or slightly better than depth guys later, now we need another Pro bowl corner.
Problem with the bolded is the guys signing are better than he was (we over exagerate and claim average players are bad and good players are great but this guy is BAD, getting death threats bad) and signing at millions less a season.
I will be as happy as anyone when the Revis deal ges through BUT the fact remains we need at least 3 new corners in the top 3 spots, so by getting Revis we fill the #1 spot, that leave #2 & #3 while losing picks in the draft to get Revis, where do those guys come from.
People are focused on how bad the FAs were but they were bad starters, as things stand right now we are looking at starting guys that would be battling for a roster spot on 2 thirds of the teams in the league. That scares people.
The easiest way to cover for a bad backfield is a great pass rush so what what do we do, we let our best lineman leave and based on actions/reports there's seemingly no help in sight. Instead we are going to pray that 2 guys with health concerns can last 16 games.

It's like Dom has tunnel vision, intense focus on one guy at one position at a time.

The offseason is like a vacation, the trip to get there (the season) can be a stressful nightmare & you panick that you have packed everything but when you arrive you settle down & just enjoy yourself.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #29 : March 15, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »

Wow in the tbo sports  section today dominick says we wont fill our cornerback needs  until the draft and i dont mind starting young players

That is a bit of a reach IMO.    Here is the quote:

The Bucs continue to be linked to trade rumors involving Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, but Dominik indicated Wednesday that it may be draft day before the Bucs seriously address their cornerback need.

“Coach (Greg Schiano) is not afraid to play young players, to start young players,’’ Dominik said. “I would say, let’s wait until after the draft and see where we are then. It’s still very early in the process.’’

This goes along with my feeling after seeing yesterday unfold that they are targeting Revis and a rookie CB to start this year.  They obviously were not impressed with the FA class of CBs
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs free agent strategy baffles me « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools