Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs free agent strategy baffles me « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cover-too

Starter

« #30 : March 15, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »

Wow in the tbo sports  section today dominick says we wont fill our cornerback needs  until the draft and i dont mind starting young players

That is a bit of a reach IMO.    Here is the quote:

The Bucs continue to be linked to trade rumors involving Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, but Dominik indicated Wednesday that it may be draft day before the Bucs seriously address their cornerback need.

“Coach (Greg Schiano) is not afraid to play young players, to start young players,’’ Dominik said. “I would say, let’s wait until after the draft and see where we are then. It’s still very early in the process.’’

This goes along with my feeling after seeing yesterday unfold that they are targeting Revis and a rookie CB to start this year.  They obviously were not impressed with the FA class of CBs

While I don't disagree with that plan in whole depending on compensation and the health of Revis don't you think you could get Grimes for less than Wright and have an upgrade right there?

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
« #31 : March 15, 2013, 08:33:51 AM »

Wow in the tbo sports  section today dominick says we wont fill our cornerback needs  until the draft and i dont mind starting young players

The Bucs continue to be linked to trade rumors involving Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, but Dominik indicated Wednesday that it may be draft day before the Bucs seriously address their cornerback need.

“Coach (Greg Schiano) is not afraid to play young players, to start young players,’’ Dominik said. “I would say, let’s wait until after the draft and see where we are then. It’s still very early in the process.’’

This goes along with my feeling after seeing yesterday unfold that they are targeting Revis and a rookie CB to start this year.  They obviously were not impressed with the FA class of CBs

While I don't disagree with that plan in whole depending on compensation and the health of Revis don't you think you could get Grimes for less than Wright and have an upgrade right there?
The problem is that as of right now we haven't had a ruling about Wrights money, what happens if we sign Grimes to replace Wright and shockingly they rule we still have to pay Wright $7.75 million, that could be a nightmare. We kinda got screwed by having to wait for them to rule on this.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
« #32 : March 15, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »

I think Wright is a gone no matter what.  It is just a matter of time.  Yes, if this is the strategy, I would feel much better with another vet like Grimes or Winfield in the mix on a one year deal, especially if Barber retires.  It seems like they are waiting for the compensation and contract negotiations to unfold before making any other big moves in FA and I understand that, but that can also be dangerous as the talent pool begins to evaporate.  There will be another purge of veterans after the draft so I am sure there will be other options to pick up an impact veteran player.  However, I am just not buying that the plan is to start two rookie CBs or one rookie CB and Leonard Johnson.  If that is the plan, then I would be furious

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

« #33 : March 15, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »

Maybe I missed something but after a season where the pass defense was an issue I don't see the value in signing a safety that isn't primarily a cover guy.  It is true that safties that can cover have greater value in the NFL but Goldson isn't that type of safety.  We all know it as he is more of a traditional strong safety type.  Does he compliment Barron? I would like to thinks so, but Barron to me should have been the "strong safety" and the Bucs should have shot their wad for a true cover safety through the draft.  Not saying Barron can't cover, but I would rather see two safties that can turn their hips rather than one.

Signing a safety and a LB isn't a bad haul for the defense thus far, but the holes are more obvious at DT, DE, and CB, so to me I don't see much urgency along plugging up the defensive line.  On offense, while the tight end position should be addressed I don't think it is that dire to be honest.  But RT and OL depth are obvious areas where the Bucs should address because frankly I don't think the find what they value through the draft.

Last off season, the Bucs seemed to have a more cohesive plan to address areas of the team that needed to be shored up.  This off season the plan seem to be to look for value rather than need in free agency.  The Bucs brass deemed Goldson good value compared to CB's out there on the market I suppose but I can't seem to agree with such rationale.

I don't get it.

You missed Schiano emphasizing how much more important safties are in his defense compared to other defenses.

kbl117

Starter

« #34 : March 15, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »

Signing the top free agent baffles you? Not chasing these average to below average CBs that are names more than they are players baffles you? It is about building through the draft, always has been and also it is only three days into free agency. I am just glad most of the fans on this site aren't GMs.

I'm just glad u didn't join Jim jones' clan, you would've been the first to drink the cool aid

Who are our top CBs again? Trash

How much did all the CBs sign for in free agency? Peanuts. Oh and btw they were mUCh more talented than what we have

We paid that reserve DE of ours the same Bennett got paid, and that guy wouldn't make most rosters

You're out of your mind

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #35 : March 15, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »

You missed Schiano emphasizing how much more important safties are in his defense compared to other defenses.
I'd have a much easier time buying that as an argument had the pass defense not been as wretched as it was last season.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #36 : March 15, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »

Signing the top free agent baffles you? Not chasing these average to below average CBs that are names more than they are players baffles you? It is about building through the draft, always has been and also it is only three days into free agency. I am just glad most of the fans on this site aren't GMs.
Right now, I think that "average" corners would be a pretty significant upgrade to the team.  It would be one thing if these average corners were getting huge contracts with long-term cap consequences.  I didn't want to pay Sean Smith $10m/year either.  But that's not what's been happening.  Frankly, a short-term, stop-gap upgrade or two while the team adds some young talent would make an awful lot of sense.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

« #37 : March 15, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »

I'd have a much easier time buying that as an argument had the pass defense not been as wretched as it was last season.

It is not an argument. It is what he has said. Ronde was a 37 year old CB switching to S and the other guy was a rookie. The talent level in our secondary was the downfall, not coaching. I think mostly everyone on this board would agree to that.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #38 : March 15, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »

I don't know of any defense that relies heavily for pass defense with safties unless the insinuation is they will be on a deep two zone shell a lot.  But you still need corners that can play zone and the Bucs don't have that either.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs free agent strategy baffles me « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools