Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: THE PANIC BUTTON « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Goldson38

Rookie
#15 : March 14, 2013, 10:35:16 PM

Thank you! I am sick over all the fans groaning about these average to below average CBs being signed off the market . Yes most thought we would be more active but Dom has always been about building through the draft and not over paying for a free agent that isn't an impact player. It is a winning strategy.

Not overpaying for a free agent that isn't an impact player?  Michael Clayton? Derrick Ward? Eric Wright? Jeremy Trueblood? Quincy Black? You're right though, he's never done it.

First off I never said that he never has done it, reading comprehension buddy try it out sometime. Also every GM has made mistakes, and at the time of most of those signings you mentioned the thought was they were going to be impact players for us.

All those players you just named , their all band aids , I think Dom learned his lesson and is focused on the First tier guys I.e Jackson, Nicks , Goldson and is now looking at Revis

OKC_Buc

Starter

#16 : March 14, 2013, 10:35:26 PM

Thank you! I am sick over all the fans groaning about these average to below average CBs being signed off the market . Yes most thought we would be more active but Dom has always been about building through the draft and not over paying for a free agent that isn't an impact player. It is a winning strategy.

Not overpaying for a free agent that isn't an impact player?  Michael Clayton? Derrick Ward? Eric Wright? Jeremy Trueblood? Quincy Black? You're right though, he's never done it.

First off I never said that he never has done it, reading comprehension buddy try it out sometime. Also every GM has made mistakes, and at the time of most of those signings you mentioned the thought was they were going to be impact players for us.

You lost all credibility by saying the thought was that they were supposed to be impact players. All of the players that were named except for Derrick Ward had not been impact players in their entire careers before we signed them to lucrative contracts.  The sad part is, they had already played for us and we knew what we were getting already.

Hayseed

Pro Bowler

#17 : March 14, 2013, 10:37:30 PM

So......you're saying we should overpay for mediocre free agents?

Seriously. What do you want the guy to do? Overpay for mediocrity(which you slam him for) or take his time to get the right guys (which you slam him for not moving fast enough)??????

Wait until the 53 that make the team determine how good of a job he did before casting judgement.

kbl117

Starter

#18 : March 14, 2013, 10:38:08 PM

As far as Revis being this automatic saving grace, he's not, necessarily. If I'm choosing between Sean smith/Brent grimes for 5 mil per year or losing a 1st and 3rd round pick and paying revis 15-16 mil per year, it's an easy choice for me. In that scenario not only would Revis not be the saving grace to this FA period, but I'd actually prefer one of the other options. If we get Revis more in the range of 10 mil and give up a 2nd then I'd agree with you. However simply getting Revis under any and all possible circumstances wouldn't be smart

I mean, if we can attempt to look past today it's gonna cause huge issues when half our cap space is eaten up by a CB, SS, WR, and 2 Gs when the positions that are pivotal to winning championships need to get paid

OKC_Buc

Starter

#19 : March 14, 2013, 10:39:52 PM

All those players you just named , their all band aids , I think Dom learned his lesson and is focused on the First tier guys I.e Jackson, Nicks , Goldson and is now looking at Revis

All of the players I mentioned were signed to be starters on the Bucs.  Not exactly what you would call a band aid signing.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 14, 2013, 10:41:40 PM

1. Smith is gone
2. Smith got 8M per, not 5
3. The Revis pricetag isn't nearly as high in picks as you say. And when all is said and done the dollars may be more like 14M, not 16.

In Verner We Trust

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : March 14, 2013, 10:44:11 PM

Seriously. What do you want the guy to do? Overpay for mediocrity(which you slam him for) or take his time to get the right guys (which you slam him for not moving fast enough)??????

Wait until the 53 that make the team determine how good of a job he did before casting judgement.
Step back for a second and identify the FA CBs that have signed contracts that imply they have been overpaid.  I haven't seen that yet, if you send me a note.  Except Goldson.  I don't care if he is or isn't - he's ours now.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

OKC_Buc

Starter

#22 : March 14, 2013, 10:45:44 PM

Simmer down there Hayseed, and don't read what you want to read and read what is actually said.  I was simply stating that MD has a track record for signing lucrative deals on players that were not worthy of their contracts.  Everyone knew it at the time they were signed that they were priced way out of their league.  MD has done it every single year except 2010 since he has been GM.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 14, 2013, 10:53:19 PM

This is a fluid situation.  He can go up or down based on the CURRENT status of the team.  We have holes, big ones.  I see nothing wrong giving an opinion as he goes.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 14, 2013, 11:03:42 PM

Is there I don't give a crap button.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 14, 2013, 11:04:35 PM

Yeah that's nice.

Who did we sign again that we are building around?

Thanks for the Panic Button though. Got my hand placed over it right now. Not pushing it, just waiting.

Second tier vets increase depth on a roster. They put meat on them bones, they flesh the roster out. They were signed for relatively cheap deals. And we have Eric Easy E Wright, EJ Buggers, Leonard, Gorrer. Scared yet?

I'm not either, but unless some vet leadership is added they are in trouble for a while. The corner situation is dire. Those guys available were not awful, by and large, compared to what we have. And if we add any decent talent, this team as is can be tough. But the secondary is holding some games back. The QB is holding some games back. Add that up and you get 7-9. Or worse.

Add some CB help. Panic is indeed getting closer. Panic being a relative word.

mmm. Good stuff.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 14, 2013, 11:05:16 PM

Is there I don't give a crap button.
Quoted for truth.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

smithcar

Starter

#27 : March 14, 2013, 11:33:19 PM

As far as Revis being this automatic saving grace, he's not, necessarily. If I'm choosing between Sean smith/Brent grimes for 5 mil per year or losing a 1st and 3rd round pick and paying revis 15-16 mil per year, it's an easy choice for me. In that scenario not only would Revis not be the saving grace to this FA period, but I'd actually prefer one of the other options. If we get Revis more in the range of 10 mil and give up a 2nd then I'd agree with you. However simply getting Revis under any and all possible circumstances wouldn't be smart

I mean, if we can attempt to look past today it's gonna cause huge issues when half our cap space is eaten up by a CB, SS, WR, and 2 Gs when the positions that are pivotal to winning championships need to get paid

This what I have been saying for 2 days now, so we trade for Revis then who becomes the cap casualty next year and the year after when we have to begin to resign players? Yes we have the space this year but will we in the future? Freeman is do for an extension, yes I know half of you want him to fail because he hasn't developed into Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. The reality is half the other NFL teams would love to have him and will pay him, ok so we draft and start over with another young unproven QB or try to sign a proven vet that we can't afford because we are paying our superstar CB too much. Seems like a mistake to me.

gone

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 14, 2013, 11:41:16 PM

You said he was ALWAYS about not overpaying.  Unless you have a different definition of the word "always" than the rest of us, then that was a reasonable reading of your statement.  And even the general direction of it -- that it isn't a general failing of his, is highly inaccurate as it has been one of his major flaws all along, from Clayton through Wright.

Hayseed

Pro Bowler

#29 : March 14, 2013, 11:47:24 PM

Step back for a second and identify the FA CBs that have signed contracts that imply they have been overpaid.  I haven't seen that yet, if you send me a note.  Except Goldson.  I don't care if he is or isn't - he's ours now.

Goldson is a Pro Bowler in his prime. What have the other CBs that have been signed accomplish? If they can't get the job done, then they are overpaid for their services. Seriously, name a CB that has been signed that is head and shoulders above Talib or Wright. If you can't, then why should we waste a single dollar on them?
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: THE PANIC BUTTON « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools