Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: THE PANIC BUTTON « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 14, 2013, 11:51:41 PM

I broke my "fire Myron Lewis out of the Cannon" button awhile back.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 15, 2013, 12:18:12 AM

Thank you! I am sick over all the fans groaning about these average to below average CBs being signed off the market . Yes most thought we would be more active but Dom has always been about building through the draft and not over paying for a free agent that isn't an impact player. It is a winning strategy.

Not overpaying for a free agent that isn't an impact player?  Michael Clayton? Derrick Ward? Eric Wright? Jeremy Trueblood? Quincy Black? You're right though, he's never done it.

So......you're saying we should overpay for mediocre free agents?

Seriously. What do you want the guy to do? Overpay for mediocrity(which you slam him for) or take his time to get the right guys (which you slam him for not moving fast enough)??????

Wait until the 53 that make the team determine how good of a job he did before casting judgement.
Step back for a second and identify the FA CBs that have signed contracts that imply they have been overpaid.  I haven't seen that yet, if you send me a note.  Except Goldson.  I don't care if he is or isn't - he's ours now.

Goldson is a Pro Bowler in his prime. What have the other CBs that have been signed accomplish? If they can't get the job done, then they are overpaid for their services. Seriously, name a CB that has been signed that is head and shoulders above Talib or Wright. If you can't, then why should we waste a single dollar on them?

What have they accomplished? Well, players usually accomplish things as a team, so are you talking about stats-wise or selections to pro/all-pro?

As far as CBs who were/are on the market who are better than Talib and Wright...that is going to vary person to person and their personal opinions of individual players.

Personally, I feel that Smith, DRC, Grimes, Winfield, and Asomugha would all be head and shoulders better than Talib and Wright were in this system. There were 6-8 other CBs who would have also made good #2 options that would have played a lot better than Wright did and would have been had for lees that what Wright was signed for. Just because these CBs weren't elite or shutdown CBs, doesn't meant that they weren't solid players.

CB was and is the biggest weak spot on the team and it needs a lot of attention. Who knows if we get Revis, and who knows what will happen in the draft. The sky isn't falling, certainly, but it would have been nice to have seen the Bucs grab one of the CBs that have been signed so far or would be nice to see them grab Grimes or one of the other 2-3 options that would help to solidify the DB unit.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

gone

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 15, 2013, 01:10:15 AM

Thank you! I am sick over all the fans groaning about these average to below average CBs being signed off the market . Yes most thought we would be more active but Dom has always been about building through the draft and not over paying for a free agent that isn't an impact player. It is a winning strategy.

Not overpaying for a free agent that isn't an impact player?  Michael Clayton? Derrick Ward? Eric Wright? Jeremy Trueblood? Quincy Black? You're right though, he's never done it.

Seriously. What do you want the guy to do? Overpay for mediocrity(which you slam him for) or take his time to get the right guys (which you slam him for not moving fast enough)??????

Wait until the 53 that make the team determine how good of a job he did before casting judgement.
Step back for a second and identify the FA CBs that have signed contracts that imply they have been overpaid.  I haven't seen that yet, if you send me a note.  Except Goldson.  I don't care if he is or isn't - he's ours now.

Goldson is a Pro Bowler in his prime. What have the other CBs that have been signed accomplish? If they can't get the job done, then they are overpaid for their services. Seriously, name a CB that has been signed that is head and shoulders above Talib or Wright. If you can't, then why should we waste a single dollar on them?

What have they accomplished? Well, players usually accomplish things as a team, so are you talking about stats-wise or selections to pro/all-pro?

As far as CBs who were/are on the market who are better than Talib and Wright...that is going to vary person to person and their personal opinions of individual players.

Personally, I feel that Smith, DRC, Grimes, Winfield, and Asomugha would all be head and shoulders better than Talib and Wright were in this system. There were 6-8 other CBs who would have also made good #2 options that would have played a lot better than Wright did and would have been had for lees that what Wright was signed for. Just because these CBs weren't elite or shutdown CBs, doesn't meant that they weren't solid players.

CB was and is the biggest weak spot on the team and it needs a lot of attention. Who knows if we get Revis, and who knows what will happen in the draft. The sky isn't falling, certainly, but it would have been nice to have seen the Bucs grab one of the CBs that have been signed so far or would be nice to see them grab Grimes or one of the other 2-3 options that would help to solidify the DB unit.

Assume for a moment the Bucs believe they only need one vet CB, and they are focused on Revis.  In that case it would be foolish to pay both his huge contract and another substantial contract when they can roll with Revis and what we have already and add more cheap talent through the draft.

Oracle

Starter

#33 : March 15, 2013, 02:06:07 AM

It's time to panic when your team's starting QB is Josh Freeman and they aren't desperately trying to find an upgrade at the position.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 15, 2013, 09:23:39 AM

As you surely know, Goldson is a safety.  Safeties cover TEs and support the run defense.  Normally the Free Safety is primarily the coverage guy, and the Strong Safety is more run support.  Coach Schiano has already said both Goldson and Barron will play both run support and pass D.  As safeties.  Cornerbacks is the position I was pointing at in the conversation.  Insofar as skilled CBs who have proven they can play in the NFL - there was a fairly extensive list of viable candidates.  It is shrinking.  And the bucs need at least 3 CBs either from FA or the Draft.  I personally think they would be better off with two experienced FAs and two more Draft picks. 

If you need a list or would like to check on the upper echelon of CBs in this year's Free Agent group google it.  While you and I might disagree over the odd CB being an improvement for the bucs, if you are being honest with yourself you will find more than a few who would make the buccaneer's backfield a much better defense then we have seen since Dominick took over.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Chris_BucFan60

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#35 : March 15, 2013, 09:34:25 AM

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 15, 2013, 09:44:29 AM

Assume for a moment the Bucs believe they only need one vet CB, and they are focused on Revis.  In that case it would be foolish to pay both his huge contract and another substantial contract when they can roll with Revis and what we have already and add more cheap talent through the draft.

I guess it depends on what your definition of substantial is. I agree that you are not going to want to tie a ton of $ up in Revis and another CB, especially if you have to overpay. I don't believe that it would be a substantial amount if the scenario played out that we got both Revis and Grimes. We would probably be looking at $20mil for their combined salary for this season and maybe next. I would be completely fine with that, especially if Wright's salary is coming off the books. I do think that their inactivity in getting a CB shows that they plan on drafting a CB or two in April, which I am certainly fine with, but it usually takes CBs time to adjust. An addition of a vet CB would provide: A. At least some sort of solid player just in case the Revis deal doesn't happen. B. Vet leadership for the younger players at the CB position. C....I swear I had something for this.

Anyway, signing a vet CB who was better than all the CBs on our roster last year, would be/would have been a good move. I haven't pressed this button yet, but I still have major concerns regarding our secondary. Signing one of the 8-10 CB options would have certainly put my mind at ease a little bit.

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 15, 2013, 09:58:41 AM

I posted in the Revis thread.  Jets no longer shopping Revis.  Ouch.

kbl117

Starter

#38 : March 15, 2013, 01:23:13 PM

So if you didn't make the pro bowl you are automatically considered "overpaid" in your book regardless of what they got paid?  Lol how idiotic

Why would you compare the avaluable FAs to talib and wright when deciding whether they should be signed, when talib and wright won't be on this team? Why wouldn't u compare them to biggers and Johnson?

You muyve got the name hayseed based on brainsize

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 15, 2013, 01:53:09 PM

So if you didn't make the pro bowl you are automatically considered "overpaid" in your book regardless of what they got paid?  Lol how idiotic

Why would you compare the avaluable FAs to talib and wright when deciding whether they should be signed, when talib and wright won't be on this team? Why wouldn't u compare them to biggers and Johnson?

You muyve got the name hayseed based on brainsize

Go back and read what I posted, clown. "If they can't get the job done, then they are overpaid for their services"....where did I say that they are overpaid if they didn't make the pro bowl? Goldson achieved and is in his prime he has demonstrated his worth and that's why he got the contract, however, if he can't perform his job at a satisfactory level here, then guess what, he's was overpaid as well. Why compare the FA class CBs against Talib and Wright? Because, thats who we went with last season. The secondary was bad with both of them starting....Biggers and Johnson were worse and they were clearly a contingency plan for when the "starters" were injured or suspended. The idea is to improve the secondary....if Talib and Wright are the baseline, and they should be, then the idea is to get guys that are better than they are. Of the available free agents, I don't see anyone outside of a healthy Grimes that is a significant upgrade over those two. Therefore, why would we throw money at players that won't bring us the improvement that we need? Theyre band aids, plain and simple.

As for brain size.......

You ever hear the old expression "never argue with a fool. Do it long enough and people won't be able to tell the difference."?  If you can't get what Im saying, then were done here and may God have mercy on your soul.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: THE PANIC BUTTON « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools