Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bennett and Rosenhaus, did NOT want the Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2

facethefloor

Rookie

« : March 15, 2013, 07:29:48 AM »

I want to start by saying that loosing Bennett in FA is a huge disappointment and the Bucs now have yet another need.  That being said I’m not sure this is all on the Bucs. 

I live down in Miami and was listening to the local radio here yesterday morning.  Drew Rosenhaus, Bennett’s agent, was on for an interview talking about FA.  He mentioned a strategy in which he encourages players who are on the cusp, to take a one year dear in hopes of a much larger payday down the road.

An example he gave was our very own Dashon Goldson.  Goldson was on the rise in 2011 and signed a 1 year deal with San Fran.  He ends up having a great year and is subsequently franchised the following year.  Because he waited in 2011, and rejected any kind of long term contract he is now the highest paid safety in the NFL.  By signing a longer deal in 2011, he would have been signed for much less money than he has with us and he wouldn't be able to try for that big payday until he is in his 30s and on the decline.

Apply this to Bennett’s situation.  Let’s say hypothetically the Bucs see Bennett as a middle of the road DE.  Perhaps they offered him something like 4 year at 25 million.  In Rosenhaus and Bennett’s mind he is worth much more and is not a middle road/back up DE.  He wants to be paid 35 – 40 - 50 million.  Signing a one year deal gives him the opportunity to improve his game and try again next year for the larger contract.

So then where is the best place for Bennett to improve his career in hopes for that big payday?

-Tampa:  On the rise and could make the playoff as wildcard.  But he has to split time with Bowers.   
-Seattle:  Has risen and is going to contend for Superbowl.  Due to injury and lack of depth he is starting.

Unless the Bucs were going to pay Bennett the monster contract why would he really want to sign here?  Even by signing here to a similar deal as in Seattle it’s more detrimental to his eventual payday. For Bennett to be a Buccaneer today, they needed to franchise him.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #1 : March 15, 2013, 07:39:55 AM »

I worry more about replacing bennett in the run game than passing game. We were never going to resign him, he wasn't even suppose to be starting this year and even though he came on the fairly cheap we can't pay $5 million for a back up DE.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
« #2 : March 15, 2013, 07:58:15 AM »

Yeah, i won't lie, on the surface this one hurt. That said, this has more to do with Bennett then it does the Bucs.

1. Keith Millard couldn't convince the Titans he was worth more than 5 mil...no Bennentt didn't want to play there.
2. The Phins who are throwing cash everywhere couldn't pony up more $$$....no he didn't want to play there

Face it, right now the Bucs, Phins, and Titans are all in the bottom third in the league.

facethefloor

Rookie

« #3 : March 15, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »

Face it, right now the Bucs, Phins, and Titans are all in the bottom third in the league.

I wouldn't say we are in the bottom third, more like middle of the road at this point.  We are going to be somewhere around +/- 10 wins this year.  For Bennett however it makes more sense to sign with a top tier team rather than middle of the pack.  Ironically he is middle of the pack and aspire to top tier, maybe this is the jump he needs...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 15, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »

So then where is the best place for Bennett to improve his career in hopes for that big payday?
-Tampa:  On the rise and could make the playoff as wildcard.  But he has to split time with Bowers.   
-Seattle:  Has risen and is going to contend for Superbowl.  Due to injury and lack of depth he is starting.
Fair point.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

SCLOBERNOCKER

Hall of Famer
« #5 : March 15, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »

First off, I think the OP makes total sense. Its spot on.

Second, I dont think you guys give bowers enough credit. He is WORLDS better than bennet and will continue to  improve. Dude just needs to stay healthy. I consider him to be in the same category that McCoy was going into last year. Loads of talent. Still improving. Just needs to stay on the field. It worked well for McCoy (probowl) and I expect the same from Bowers this year.

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #6 : March 15, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »

This kind of goes back to what I was talking about just before FA, when Dominik was recorded saying, "None of mine are signing. Not one of them. They don't want to sign. There are a couple that don't want to sign, but some of them think they just need to go see the market, but I can't get my guys to sign anybody."

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : March 15, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »

I worry more about replacing bennett in the run game than passing game.

a healthy Bowers is every bit the run defender Bennett was and more.

http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Up--Coming-Bucs-DaQuan-Bowers/c2dd2626-1c6c-4b14-8506-90763602ddf0

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 15, 2013, 09:37:30 AM »

Bennett may THINK he'll start in Seattle, or his agent may have convinced him of that, but I wouldn't take that as a FACT. He or his agent may know Dom expected Bowers to start too...

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
« #9 : March 15, 2013, 09:41:13 AM »

I agree, NotDeadYet. Seattle has Cliff Avril, Chris Clemons (who is mending an ACL tear) and Bruce Irvin. Bennett may or may not start in Seattle, but I know that Seattle's pass rush will be better than Tampa Bay's next year.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : March 15, 2013, 09:45:04 AM »

Could be a lose/lose: bad for Bucs, bad for Bennett.

In Verner We Trust

TampaBucks05

Hall of Famer
« #11 : March 15, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »

I worry more about replacing bennett in the run game than passing game.

a healthy Bowers is every bit the run defender Bennett was and more.

http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Up--Coming-Bucs-DaQuan-Bowers/c2dd2626-1c6c-4b14-8506-90763602ddf0

Yeah, I'm not worried about Bowers' ability. What worries me, and should worry other Buc fans when it comes to the DE situation, is that Dominik is depending on a guy who has a degenerative knee issue, hasn't been able to stay on the field, and is now facing a felony gun charge in New York. On top of the aforementioned issues, the Bucs should also worry whether the league is going to hand down a suspension for Bowers' actions, it could very well suspend Bowers for a period of time.

Its not exactly a convincing situation.

facethefloor

Rookie

« #12 : March 15, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »

I agree, NotDeadYet. Seattle has Cliff Avril, Chris Clemons (who is mending an ACL tear) and Bruce Irvin. Bennett may or may not start in Seattle, but I know that Seattle's pass rush will be better than Tampa Bay's next year.

I still think he will be getting more playing time in Seattle.  Bowers is the player of the future here.  But lets say that all things are equal. 

There is still this... One team is going to fight for the Superbowl the other is fights to get out of last place in their division.  I know what one I would choose. 

tripblood

Hall of Famer

« #13 : March 15, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »

Blahhh. We need pass rushers ASAP

Show No MRSA..

FIRE SCHIANO!!!!

Its so hard for me to sit back on this forum, lookin at a guy on here, holler in\' my name!  When last year i spent more on 5 electric bills from this side of the country to the other, than you made! You\'re talkin to the Rolex wearing, diamond earring wearing, kiss-stealin, WOOOO!, wheelin dealin\', CTS drivin, jet-flyin sonofagun.. And I\'m havin a hard time holding these alligators down! WOOOO!

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #14 : March 15, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

First off, I think the OP makes total sense. Its spot on.

Second, I dont think you guys give bowers enough credit. He is WORLDS better than bennet and will continue to  improve. Dude just needs to stay healthy. I consider him to be in the same category that McCoy was going into last year. Loads of talent. Still improving. Just needs to stay on the field. It worked well for McCoy (probowl) and I expect the same from Bowers this year.

Do you want bowers & clayborn to have to play every snap this upcoming season?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bennett and Rosenhaus, did NOT want the Bucs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools