Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SCHIANO NEEDS TO WIN NOW « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
: March 18, 2013, 10:52:35 AM

Believe it or not, Tampa Bay head coach Greg Schiano needs to assemble a winning team in 2013 or risk being on the hot seat or possibly fired in 2014 due to the pressures of life in the modern day NFL.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_magazine&view=item&layout=item&id=2950

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#1 : March 18, 2013, 11:04:16 AM

Fire after his 2nd season taking over a horrible team?

LOL WUT

m_j

Starter

#2 : March 18, 2013, 11:28:46 AM

he should figure out some things about NFL quickly, otherwise I hope we fire him!

he still has enogh time to prove I'm wrong  :D

Buc45

Starter

#3 : March 18, 2013, 11:32:30 AM

I seriously doubt it... We will be competitive and he will get at least 3 years to rebuild from Raheem's mess...

Buc45

Starter

#4 : March 18, 2013, 11:41:02 AM

Just read the article...I typically like Scott's stuff but this is just bad...I honestly think this magazine has got an ax to grind against this regime.  It looks like Dom finally has some good scouts in place and we are picking up nice young talent.  Despite the disappointing finish, we looked like a much improved team last year.  I really hope the Glazers allow us to continue in the positive direction and don't do something stupid. 

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 18, 2013, 11:43:49 AM

Quote from: Buc45
I seriously doubt it... We will be competitive and he will get at least 3 years to rebuild from Raheem's mess...

I have to agree. (Although I don't know that anybody can be saved from a sub .250 season).

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 18, 2013, 12:03:09 PM

Hey guys, re-read that post, I think you're misinterpreting SR's comments.  He said "... or risk being on the hot seat or possibly fired in 2014."  He didn't say he might get  fired after this season... just that he could be on the hot seat for 2014 and risk getting fired after next year.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 18, 2013, 12:29:40 PM

Now he might not get fired after this season but anything short of 9-7(which is a winning record) and we are most likely not resigning Freeman, which means we would be going with a rookie or some vet scrub and which would likely result in more losing seasons and eventually get Schiano fired.  So yes, he needs a winning season in 2013 or the writing is on the wall.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 18, 2013, 12:41:09 PM

Oh god. This is ridiculous. If the Glazer's believe he is the right guy for the job, they should just forget about firing him and let him work. If they are unsure if Schiano is the right guy then yes. I do believe that the Glazers believe Schiano is the guy.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 18, 2013, 12:47:11 PM

What a load of crap. You can't compare Rutgers to any of the football factories. It's a SCHOOL. They focus on academics there. That automatically limits the level of talent Schiano had access to. Football was dead there when he arrived. They couldn't even draw the interest of the student body, forget about the community. Nobody cared. Even now, after Schiano is gone, I avoid I287 on game days. The traffic is awful. Before Schiano you could drive right by the stadium and hardly notice anything was going on. Rutgers played in the first college football game ever. I would guess Schiano more pro players in his tenure than all of the other Rutgers' coaches combined over the previous 80 odd years. The man can coach. He has great leadership skills and he can teach. He has all of the traits Gruden and Morris lacked. At Rutgers he had to make do with the players he and the school could attract, and who qualified in academics. With the Bucs he can target anyone he wants. He took over a team with serious problems. He can't fix everything in just a year or two, but I am confident the Bucs will be in the playoffs in 2013. The Glazers won't be firing anyone anytime soon.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 18, 2013, 01:25:30 PM

What a load of crap. You can't compare Rutgers to any of the football factories. It's a SCHOOL. They focus on academics there. That automatically limits the level of talent Schiano had access to. Football was dead there when he arrived. They couldn't even draw the interest of the student body, forget about the community. Nobody cared. Even now, after Schiano is gone, I avoid I287 on game days. The traffic is awful. Before Schiano you could drive right by the stadium and hardly notice anything was going on. Rutgers played in the first college football game ever. I would guess Schiano more pro players in his tenure than all of the other Rutgers' coaches combined over the previous 80 odd years. The man can coach. He has great leadership skills and he can teach. He has all of the traits Gruden and Morris lacked. At Rutgers he had to make do with the players he and the school could attract, and who qualified in academics. With the Bucs he can target anyone he wants. He took over a team with serious problems. He can't fix everything in just a year or two, but I am confident the Bucs will be in the playoffs in 2013. The Glazers won't be firing anyone anytime soon.

I think you're have a hard time drawing a line between accomplishment on a small scale (what Schiano did for Rutgers), and accomplishment on the big scene (what Rutgers actually accomplished).  During Schiano's entire regime, across the nation people thought 'oh, how cute'.  He was a "pretty decent' coach in a below average conference.  No one took them seriously as a contender.  They may have had 1 great year, but a great coach can repeat that success.  What he did for Rutgers and the region around it was immense.  But, it fails in comparison nationally.  His overall accomplishments (on the grand scale), were quite minimal.  What Schiano did at Rutgers is virtually the exact same thing that Edsall did at UConn... and you don't see anyone looking for him to coach their NFL team.

Personally, I think he'll get at least 4 years and probably all 5 of the original deal.  I believe Freeman will flop simply because I don't think he's all that special.  Schaino will get to a chance to get his guy next April and I believe he'll get at least the 2 years with him.  Now, if this team has 6-win or less season, then he's absolutely on the hook to get fired.  If they win 3 or less... everybody is gone... Schiano, Dominik, and Freeman.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 18, 2013, 01:32:53 PM

College win/loss record means nothing for projecting coaches to the NFL. If the Glazers wanted to hire the best Big East coaches of the 2000's, they could have Bobby Petrino and Rich Rodriguez. Schiano was hired because he coached his college team as if it were an NFL team. That didn't help him win as many college games as he could have against other coaches who ran the triple option spread run-n-shoot like Petrino and Rodriguez, but it didn't mean he didn't know how to coach.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

#12 : March 18, 2013, 01:43:02 PM

Shouldn't this article be about Dom needing to win now?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 18, 2013, 01:52:56 PM

College win/loss record means nothing for projecting coaches to the NFL. If the Glazers wanted to hire the best Big East coaches of the 2000's, they could have Bobby Petrino and Rich Rodriguez. Schiano was hired because he coached his college team as if it were an NFL team. That didn't help him win as many college games as he could have against other coaches who ran the triple option spread run-n-shoot like Petrino and Rodriguez, but it didn't mean he didn't know how to coach.

So you are saying he refused to change his defense to try to stop those emerging offenses.  He might be too stubborn?  Isn't part of coaching finding ways to stop an offense or exploit a defense?  He had one good year out of 11 at Rutgers. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 18, 2013, 01:59:30 PM

So you are saying he refused to change his defense to try to stop those emerging offenses.  He might be too stubborn?  Isn't part of coaching finding ways to stop an offense or exploit a defense?  He had one good year out of 11 at Rutgers.
I'm more saying he ran a drop back passing/power running offense that didn't allow him to score points at the pace needed to keep up with Louisville and West Virginia. Whether that was because he was stubborn or not, I don't care, my point is whether you like Schiano or hate him, you should be able to admit the scheme he ran at Rutgers was more suitable for the NFL than the non-NFL schemes the most successful coaches in the Big East ran.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: SCHIANO NEEDS TO WIN NOW « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools