Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFC South poised for run on CBs « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : March 20, 2013, 12:17:39 AM »

NFC South poised for run on CBs

March, 19, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

We’re a week into free agency and it appears as if all four NFC South teams still are looking for a starting cornerback.

In the case of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, they might even be looking for two. The New Orleans Saints already signed Keenan Lewis, but they also are pursuing Nnamdi Asomugha. The Bucs have shown some interest in trading for Darrelle Revis.

A Revis deal might take some time, but I’ve got a hunch we’re about to see a run on cornerbacks in the NFC South. Asomugha is expected to make a decision soon and, if he lands in New Orleans, the Saints’ defense suddenly gets a lot better.

But the market is shrinking fast and NFC South teams could be running out of time to fill some big needs. Let’s turn to our Insider Free-Agency Tracker and look at the remaining cornerbacks.

As I see it, there are five strong cornerbacks left in free agency – Brent Grimes, DeAngelo Hall, Quentin Jammer, Asomugha and Antoine Winfield. After that, you get into a group of guys that come with questions.

Aside from Asomugha and Revis, I think the key to how cornerbacks in the NFC South shake out could be Grimes. The Falcons want to re-sign him. But the Bucs also are interested and there could be other teams involved.

If Atlanta can’t keep Grimes, the Falcons have to go out and get another No. 1 cornerback because Asante Samuel and Robert McClain are nice as No. 2 and No. 3 guys, but nothing more. The Bucs could score a major coup if they somehow could land both Revis and Grimes.

The Saints would be set at cornerback if they can get Asomugha. If they can’t, I suspect they’ll quickly try to land one of the other top cornerbacks.

That leaves Carolina. The Panthers have shown some interest in re-signing Captain Munnerlyn and that may happen. But Munnerlyn isn’t a No. 1 cornerback. Carolina could roll the dice and try to get a No. 1 cornerback in the draft. But, even though the Panthers have salary-cap issues, I could see them getting creative and signing one of the better free-agent cornerbacks because they have to keep up with the rest of the NFC South.

Panthers getting deeper at CB

March, 19, 2013

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

D.J. Moore wasn’t quite the magnitude of player I had in mind when I wrote earlier Tuesday that a run on big-name cornerbacks is coming in the NFC South.

But Moore, who played nickel back for Chicago last season, has been signed by the Carolina Panthers.

Along with Josh Thomas and Josh Norman, the Panthers should have some good young talent at cornerback. Moore can be the nickel back or maybe even contend for a starting job. He also should be a fan favorite because he went to high school in Spartanburg, S.C., where the Panthers hold training camp.

Moore’s signing may be an indication the Panthers aren’t expecting to re-sign Captain Munnerlyn, who has similar size and skills. The Panthers also previously signed veteran Drayton Florence, who can compete to be the second or third cornerback.

The Panthers now have some depth at cornerback and the competition among Moore, Florence, Thomas and Norman could prompt one or more of them to step up. But the Panthers, who previously released veteran Chris Gamble, don’t have a true No. 1 cornerback.

More and more, I’m thinking Carolina will use its first-round draft pick on a cornerback.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #1 : March 20, 2013, 12:53:37 AM »

The article above pertaining to cornerbacks, a commodity that one NFC South team, the Bucs, are in dire need of, says this about the cap solid Tampa team:

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #2 : March 20, 2013, 12:58:27 AM »

The article above pertaining to cornerbacks, a commodity that one NFC South team, the Bucs, are in dire need of, says this about the cap solid Tampa team:
We'll  sign one to make the jets flinch...if needed.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
« #3 : March 20, 2013, 01:55:18 AM »

Is there any reason not to offer Grimes a 1 year 4-5 mil deal? Than if Revis doesnt happen we can draft a corner or two and force Wright to take less or peace out. If Revis does go down than we'd be totally set.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 20, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »

isnt grimes on his way to being a brown?

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 20, 2013, 02:20:54 AM »

I think everyone, including Yanky, assumes the Bucs land Revis.  But if that falls through, we could end up next season with a starting CB duo of,  Wright and the Captain.   Ugh.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : March 20, 2013, 04:19:21 AM »

I can't see where anyone should assume anything at this point. The ''experts'' have made several predictions, all of which have proven wrong to this point. Under most circumstances, the way this started the trade would have gone through already. But outside factors impact trades: the NYC media begin chatter that the Jets aren't getting enough, fans begin getting upset before it happens. And then the team backtracks, uncertain what to do. That leaves the Bucs in a position where they may have done everything right, but can't reap the benefits of their work. For a guy whose job may be on the line, Dom has played this really cool. I hope it works out for him in the end. But for the time being there is no way to tell. The Jets may just be dumb enough NOT to make a deal and have to settle for a compensatory pick next year. In fact, there are scenarios where they could get even less than that. I'll let you use your imagination on that.

In Verner We Trust

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #7 : March 20, 2013, 06:42:56 AM »

I think everyone, including Yanky, assumes the Bucs land Revis.  But if that falls through, we could end up next season with a starting CB duo of,  Wright and the Captain.   Ugh.
Ugh indeed!

Now when you say Captain, do you mean America, Crunch, Caveman, or Morgan?  All four of those Captains is far and away better than EJ Biggers or Eazy MF'n E.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #8 : March 20, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »

Ugh indeed!

Now when you say Captain, do you mean America, Crunch, Caveman, or Morgan?  All four of those Captains is far and away better than EJ Biggers or Eazy MF'n E.

LOL

And all those are better than the Munnerlyn one too.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFC South poised for run on CBs « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools