Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nnamdi + Grimes+draft picks >Revis « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

HoustonBucsFan

Second String
: March 20, 2013, 12:43:24 PM

Ok....Maybe I am not totally crazy because the more I think about it the better it sounds.  Wouldn't Nnamdi, Grimes and having all of our picks be better than Revis plus we will probably save some money.  Then we can go DT #13 and take a CB in the second round.  If Schiano can straighten out the honey badger we can have 4 solid corners assuming Johnson improves.  Screw the Jets and holding this up.  Thoughts?

traew01

Pro Bowler

#1 : March 20, 2013, 12:46:06 PM

You are making a few huge assumptions:

- These guys would even sign with us

- Dominik will make a deal with them before they sign elsewhere

- Dominik is not a moron.

I can assure you the third assumption is wrong.

HoustonBucsFan

Second String
#2 : March 20, 2013, 12:47:29 PM

lol, just wishful thinking then huh?

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 20, 2013, 12:51:02 PM

I believe that you're right and that's what I've been saying all along. Doesn't even have to be the specific two free agents you're referring to, though I am definitely in favor of kicking the tires on Nnamdi.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

traew01

Pro Bowler

#4 : March 20, 2013, 12:53:59 PM

lol, just wishful thinking then huh?

"Wishful thinking" is unfortunately all you are gonna get with Mark "the Teflon Dom" Dumbinik managing this franchise. It's the lifeblood of most of the Dominik sheep on this board.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 20, 2013, 01:25:20 PM

The difference is you can put 10 more guys on the field with Revis

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 20, 2013, 01:55:21 PM

The difference is you can put 10 more guys on the field with Revis
Only if Dom figures out a way to fill the roster while doing nothing but wasting weeks of time, lots of money & multiple high draft picks on 1 player while seemingly neglecting the rest of the roster.

I can just see the next meeting between Dom and Joel...
"LOOK Mr Glazer, LOOK !!! I signed 2 more Pro Bowl level players this year to massive contracts."
"That's great but why do we only have 25 players on the roster and 13 of them look like they should be battling for practice squad spots. Did you do anything other than get those 2 guys?"
"Well I gave a big contract to a linebacker that couldn't get any real playing time on the worst defense in the history of the league and I signed a wideout that was past on the Cowboys depth chart by everybody they put at the position including a waterboy in week 9."
"Christ, that's it? Well I guess we still have the draft for you to get us some players."
"About that, I gave away a bunch of our picks to get one of the players, but 2 Pro Bowl players Joel, 2!!!"
: March 20, 2013, 01:57:21 PM TBTrojan

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 20, 2013, 01:57:46 PM

They do have 70 guys under contract right now.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

cover-too

Starter

#8 : March 20, 2013, 02:04:15 PM

I don't care what your belief on MD is, this is pretty funny!

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 20, 2013, 02:05:52 PM

Ok....Maybe I am not totally crazy because the more I think about it the better it sounds.  Wouldn't Nnamdi, Grimes and having all of our picks be better than Revis plus we will probably save some money.  Then we can go DT #13 and take a CB in the second round.  If Schiano can straighten out the honey badger we can have 4 solid corners assuming Johnson improves.  Screw the Jets and holding this up.  Thoughts?

personally, i think revis paired with trufant, barrett jones and dion sims/travis kelce and a guy like alan branch would be best today.  or revis paired with dion jordan/jarvis jones and barrett jones and dion sims wouldnt be bad either.  but we'd probably need one more guy since we let biggers walk.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 20, 2013, 02:06:04 PM

They do have 70 guys under contract right now.
Thats great, how many are NFL players rather than player signed to a contract, in other words how many would be a lock to make other NFL teams rosters if they were let go?
Not start just make the roster?
How many of the starters would be starters elsewhere?
How many of the primary backups would be 4th string elsewhere?

It's all great working to get a great player but he has to multitask and fill other holes, every year it's the same.
Focus on a couple of big names while bringing in a couple of scrubs, where is the mid level talent that comes at a reasonable price and improves the team in a bandaid role?
We simply don't/won't have enough picks to make a legit claim that they can fill the holes in the draft.

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 20, 2013, 02:10:29 PM

Actually, there are some other huge assumptions that are being made:

1) Is Nnamdi even half of the CB he once was? Is Grimes health situation fully recoverable? If they are so good, why have no other teams pushed to sign them? The fact that Grimes has no deal in place with Atlanta is extremely damning. They know him and his situation better than anyone and also have a hole to fill at CB. Why haven't they signed him?

2) Can a rookie CB step in, fill the hole and get this pass D to even a "middle of pack" squad? Perhaps, perhaps not. The whole "just draft a guy...." isn't a fix. It's a blanket assumption with tons of different variables to consider.

3) Assuming Dominik is an idiot for not considering the two things I listed above and instead is going after a guy, who even at 80% is still a top 5 CB is a pretty biased statement. Why shouldn't he take a calculated and patient approach to correcting this problem. Last year, he dove right in and immediately signed Eric Wright. He should do something like that again?

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

Naismith

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 20, 2013, 02:24:19 PM

Thats great, how many are NFL players rather than player signed to a contract, in other words how many would be a lock to make other NFL teams rosters if they were let go?
Not start just make the roster?
How many of the starters would be starters elsewhere?
How many of the primary backups would be 4th string elsewhere?

I don't have any idea. I don't pretend to know everything about every player. I do know that at one point, Michael Bennett was one of the guys that would have made up the 70 that people would assume was just there to fill out numbers.

There are plenty of players under contract, plenty of cap space to sign players, plenty of draft picks to be made and plenty of days until the new season, though. Panic only sets in now because people were hoping for a more exciting free agency period.

HoustonBucsFan

Second String
#13 : March 20, 2013, 02:29:41 PM

1.  Grimes and Nnamdi would be huge upgrades over what we have now, and Johnson showed more promise towards the end of the season.
2.  If we got those two the rookie would not have to step right in.
3.  The reason he can't sit back is that if this trade falls through and everyone else is gone.....then what??

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 20, 2013, 03:31:36 PM

Nnamdi????

What don't people get, he is terrible. He was getting old 2 years ago.

12 passes defended and 1 pick last year
10 passes defended and 1 pick last year

Guess which one is Nnamdi and guess which one is Mark Barron? Either Barron is better than we give him credit for or Nnamdi much worse. Which one is it?

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nnamdi + Grimes+draft picks >Revis « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools