Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ogletree adds needed competition to Bucs' receiving unit « previous next »
Page: 1 2

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 21, 2013, 11:12:54 AM

It's obvious to everyone there are huge holes in our roster and while you can't fix them all in one off season what should be done as most teams try to do is at least find a temporary/patchwork fix.
You get nowhere in the NFL by saying "well we can't get a pro bowler at the position so we'll fill the spot with a scrub."
It's like when you see a crack in a wall, there's a big problem somewhere that has a long term fix but you can use filler as a shot term answer while looking for that fix, you don't fill the crack with your morning dump and expect a good result.

Mike & Jax, wow we are set at #1 & #2 so it's ok to have 4 #5s behind them on the depth chart?
And as far as Mike needing a new contract, what's stopping them? You really think having solid but not great players accross the roster is going to hurt any more than the impending Revis deal that will kill us down the road?

So you know for a fact that everyone behind our #1 and #2 are all "#5s"? Can we at least let the rest of the offseason play out? Also, for all you (or anyone) know(s), Ogletree, could be awesome for us.  The Bucs obviously think somewhat good/highly of him.  Underwood was a good #3 for us until he took that big lick going over the middle.  Ever since then he had that alligator arms syndrome and hesitant.  IMO, Ogletree, is a fairly big improvement over Underwood, but should be a good competition.

As far as Mike Williams' new contract?  It won't exactly be cheap.  IF we land Revis, he will not be cheap either.  We also have guys coming up that will need to be re-signed.  Gotta be smart about the cap situation.  Bucs FO (and Mike w/ his agent) agreed to put off the talks for a little bit so they could focus on other things.  My guess is the very in-depth and complicated potential Revis trade.
Well Underwood had his shot inTampa as a #3 last year and stank for a #3, he had a shot at making rosters elsewhere and didn't even stick with teams. How many seasons of him proving he simply isn't a #3 guy before we adjust the depth chart.
Oh wait we have adjusted it and signed a guy that dropped down the Cowboys depth chart last year from 3rd to 5th because he wasn't good enough to fend off the likes of the immortal Dwayne Harris, he had  4 years to prove his worth in Dallas and what did he do, he went backwards on the depth chart.
I guess we can all get on our knees and pray that Douglas, Owusu or DePaola is the answer.

It seems like Dom (and far too many fans) thinks his job is to provide just enough quality talent to keep us competative for the #7 seed in the NFC and then hope a bunch of  nobodies steps up, when infact his job is to build a team that wins and if we have a surprise guy or 2 step up it's a bonus.

BucfanNC12

Pro Bowler

#16 : March 21, 2013, 11:14:26 AM

Competition is good but I don't understand why fans like to write off Underwood. Last season he converted on a lot of third down plays.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 21, 2013, 11:29:35 AM

Competition is good but I don't understand why fans like to write off Underwood. Last season he converted on a lot of third down plays.
Sure he converted some that were memorable to Bucs fans but how good was he really considering we had Martin, Williams & Jax out there with him and as a team we still ranked just 23rd in 3rd down conversion percentage?
Overall he has bad hands, doesn't run good routes & he's been given up on countless times by NFL coaches including our own Coach Schiano who was also his college HC.

Don't get me wrong he's the perfect guy to be 5th on the depth chart and pushing for 4th sport but as guy battling to be #3, that's insanity.

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#18 : March 21, 2013, 11:57:48 AM

Is Sammy Stroughter still on the roster? Honestly, I would prefer him in the slot over Underwood and Ogletree. I actually would prefer Preston Parker over them too - he put up decent numbers here a couple of seasons ago.
I wonder if they would give Jordan Shipley another look.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 21, 2013, 12:12:43 PM

Shipley is off the market

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 21, 2013, 01:24:13 PM

Is Sammy Stroughter still on the roster? Honestly, I would prefer him in the slot over Underwood and Ogletree. I actually would prefer Preston Parker over them too - he put up decent numbers here a couple of seasons ago.
I wonder if they would give Jordan Shipley another look.

He's a free agent I think.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#21 : March 21, 2013, 01:39:38 PM

Resigned by Jax, no?

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 21, 2013, 01:41:44 PM

Is is one of the more underrated signings of the off season. This kids is just coming into his prime. I was surprised the Cowboys let him walk.

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#23 : March 21, 2013, 01:54:29 PM

Boys fans I talked to here in TX weren't too impressed by Ogletree.  One big game, and then failed to do much, they said.

awitron

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 21, 2013, 01:57:28 PM

You Austin fans are dreaming. It's not happening.

He will be long off the board by the time the Bucs are on the clock.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ogletree adds needed competition to Bucs' receiving unit « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools