Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano....Freeman needs to process information more quickly « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: March 21, 2013, 12:40:51 AM

Bucs' Schiano: Step it up, Freeman

Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

PHOENIX

If Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman is going to make the leap from erratic to elite, it had better happen this year.

Coach Greg Schiano believes if Freeman can eliminate the three bad games that torpedoed his progress last season, he will be more than capable of ending Tampa Bay's five-season playoff drought.

But coach-quarterback relationships are delicate, so don't think Schiano is wedded beyond 2013 to Freeman, who is in the final year of his contract.

"I've said I believe we can win and achieve all the goals we want with Josh Freeman as our quarterback," Schiano said Wednesday, the final day of the owners' meetings. "But to say you're married, well, nobody is married to anyone in this game. The reality is this is a performance-based game. You've got to win. They're not married to me. You've got to win or I'm not going to be the coach. Everybody in this game gets that.

"We're in a really neat position, where he has all those years of experience and yet he is 25. I liken it to a baseball player who has gone through the minor leagues and now he's ready to do it.

"I believe he's going to have a great season and it's going to catapult him to where he wants to go and where we want to go. But you've got to do it."

Freeman set club records for single-season passing yards (4,065) and touchdowns (27) last season, but the team finished 7-9. Ten interceptions came in three games; he had four-interception clunkers in back-to-back losses to New Orleans and St. Louis in December.

Schiano is a little less concerned with Freeman's 54.8 completion percentage, the lowest since his 2009 rookie year. The Bucs use a vertical passing game and downfield throws are harder to connect. But Schiano said Freeman has struggled with accuracy, particularly on short and intermediate throws.

Schiano said Freeman's indecision led to bad mechanics, which led to inaccurate throws. He said Freeman needs to process information more quickly, which is partly why he hired former Cardinals quarterbacks coach John McNulty.

"When you watch a quarterback, when his feet are not in synch with his upper body, there's two things that make that happen," Schiano said. "One is pass rush and two is decision-making. Now all of a sudden your brain is either ahead or behind your feet because the platform with which you throw the ball dictates 80 percent of your accuracy. And if you don't set your platform correctly, you don't have a chance.

"There are certain times where there's too much indecision, whether it's scheme, coaching or playing. Whatever it is, it's got to happen more quickly."

Schiano's unfamiliarity with Freeman and Freeman's charge to learn another offensive scheme under coordinator Mike Sullivan last season also delayed progress. Schiano said coaches did a better job of changing Freeman's launch point.

"As the year went on, it became very clear to us that he's an incredibly accurate passer on the run, so we started moving the pocket more, and I thought he was very effective with that," Schiano said.

The scrutiny Freeman faces will never be higher. Or the stakes. "I think it comes with the position. Head coach and the quarterback, those are the guys who have to have the broad shoulders," Schiano said. "I think he's ready for it."

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 21, 2013, 12:44:22 AM

Been beating that drum for a long time now...unfortunately.

McCoy93

Starter

#2 : March 21, 2013, 12:47:02 AM

Mike Mayock said those exact words four years ago the minute freeman became a buc

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 21, 2013, 12:51:54 AM

Do or die or let go...whatever.  This is it for him in Tampa.  54% sucks in any offense.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 21, 2013, 12:52:02 AM

yeah Freeman relies too much on his pre-snap read

when he has a good pre-snap read and has no pressure, he looks great

but as soon as there's any pressure, or they give a different read, he just breaks down

moose40

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 21, 2013, 08:39:37 AM

Been beating that drum for a long time now...unfortunately.

Uh oh, now even the coach is mentioning the inaccuracies on short and intermediate throws, and indecision leading to bad mechanics, I guess that means Schiano is a Freeman Hater, because he simply addressed faults shown by Freeman, like the rest of us "supposed" Freeman Haters.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 21, 2013, 08:52:50 AM

"As the year went on, it became very clear to us that he's an incredibly accurate passer on the run, so we started moving the pocket more, and I thought he was very effective with that," Schiano said.

As the year went on? We all knew that from Free's performance in 2010 where he created on the run. Have no idea why it took the coaches so long to realize that.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 21, 2013, 09:02:30 AM

Do or die or let go...whatever.  This is it for him in Tampa.  54% sucks in any offense.

You must have despised Doug Williams.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 21, 2013, 09:08:02 AM

You must have despised Doug Williams.

The vast majority of the fan base disliked Doug Williams

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 21, 2013, 09:28:49 AM

Doug, in 1979 was the least accurate QB in the NFL by a wide margin and was upside down TD:INT by a wide margin. Fans should have hated him because with a better QB we could have seen the SB that year.

Obviously Freeman needs to process faster but the other problem is that even if he processed faster his mechanics are so poor that the ball still might not go where it needs to.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 21, 2013, 09:33:24 AM

Schiano makes a great point about JF's head and feet being on the same page.

The arm strength thread (40yd bomb to Vjax) is a clear example of his feet/head issue.

Dude is smart and should be clearly more confident in his second year in this system with these wideouts. (confidence breeds faster processing)

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 21, 2013, 09:36:47 AM

The lowest season completion percentage I remember EVER..........37%............Doug Williams. I believe his highest with the Bucs was 47%. All John McKay would ever say was, "Well they caught them at Grambling."

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 21, 2013, 10:39:18 AM

Looking forward to seeing how Josh plays in year 2 of this offense. I think he will be better.

gone

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 21, 2013, 05:32:06 PM

Don't think he's stupid (although I don't get the impression he's especially intelligent either), but he processes too slowly, and I don't think he can read defenses still.

Much of this is due to Freeman being a slow processor of information...

Freeman processes information too slowly for that.

He does struggle with processing info,

I don't think he's dumb, and I think he understands the game  - at least I have no reason to think he doesn't... I just think he is slow to process and react to what he sees.  I think they need to work on getting him more time at the line, to give him more time to digest what he sees. I think they need to incorporate more movement as well, as he can ad lib pretty well at times and it would mitigate the processing time issues.

I guess Schiano is just a biased hater like me.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 21, 2013, 06:31:34 PM

Ive been talking about Freemans footwork since forever.

Well Schiano, you are supposed to be a great coach so why hasn't he improved?

Its not indecision its poor mechanics you idiot. Now get to work and correct
it or GTFO of town....

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano....Freeman needs to process information more quickly « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools