Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano .... "Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners" « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#120 : March 28, 2013, 12:42:51 AM

OK...

Anyone want to tell me now that this was not a smokesceen?

I don't think that this is a smoke screen.  Who are they trying to fool? The Jets can go to buccaneers.com and see that we have got no corners on the roster. And it's pretty obvious that no corners want to come here.  We have zero leverage.

The Bucs can either give up this year's first or forget about Revis. I would be completely shocked if we got Revis any other way.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#121 : March 28, 2013, 02:47:24 AM

The one thing Mark Dominik has never wanted or been able to do was bring in one or two years stop gap players that can bridge the gap while drafted players develop into starting roles. That is what this teams needs but hasn't acquired.

I think they have become obsessed with trying NOT to be like Gru-Allen and would rather just sign nothing but players who will be, or at least has the potential to be, long term answers at ___position.

I believe that it is fairly important to improve the roster however it can be done, as long is you aren just picking up band-aids nonstop and relying mostly on vets with little in the tank....which is exactly what got Gruden fired

What could end up getting Dom fired is going too far the other way and not even really entertaining multiple pre draft upgrades.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#122 : March 28, 2013, 04:05:40 AM

He could have mainly been hinting at Revis. We'll never really know. I doubt we hear anything until it happens.

IMO, I'm fine with the cap space we have. When we want to sign someone, we will be able to.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#123 : March 28, 2013, 07:08:40 AM

I wonder if the deal Winfield is considering is the Bucs?

I'd be surprised if it was...

He had a decent season last year, but dude is older than dirt.  I guess if we signed him, it would be somebody Ronde could relate too.  Maybe go to AARP meetings together.

LOL

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#124 : March 28, 2013, 12:00:57 PM

The one thing Mark Dominik has never wanted or been able to do was bring in one or two years stop gap players that can bridge the gap while drafted players develop into starting roles. That is what this teams needs but hasn't acquired.

I think they have become obsessed with trying NOT to be like Gru-Allen and would rather just sign nothing but players who will be, or at least has the potential to be, long term answers at ___position.

I believe that it is fairly important to improve the roster however it can be done, as long is you aren just picking up band-aids nonstop and relying mostly on vets with little in the tank....which is exactly what got Gruden fired

What could end up getting Dom fired is going too far the other way and not even really entertaining multiple pre draft upgrades.

Maybe I'm being naive but I was always under the impression that you upgrade your team continuously regardless of players feelings. Myron Lewis and Danny Gorrer are special team fillers at best. Leonard Johnson has some upside but is still a developmental player at best.

So due to the inactivity of the Bucs FO to bring in competition the Bucs might be looking at Wright and a rookie or L. Johnson as our starting CB.

Now if Dominik can somehow pull off the Revis trade without giving up a ton of picks then maybe all this talk will be for naught. Until that happens the Bucs have done little to improve their team this off season.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#125 : March 28, 2013, 12:05:12 PM

Good post Bucko40...   I'd only add one word to part of your 3rd sentence.

"...So due to the( perceived) inactivity of the Bucs FO to bring in competition the Bucs..."

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#126 : March 28, 2013, 12:11:58 PM

"...So due to the( perceived) inactivity of the Bucs FO to bring in competition the Bucs..."

true that. Just because we don't see doesn't mean they aren't doing anything. For all we know the Bucs and Jets could have a deal in place for Draft weekend and just don't want to expose their respective strategies. We will just have to wait and see if a plan actually does exist.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#127 : March 28, 2013, 12:17:33 PM

Maybe I'm being naive but I was always under the impression that you upgrade your team continuously regardless of players feelings. Myron Lewis and Danny Gorrer are special team fillers at best. Leonard Johnson has some upside but is still a developmental player at best.

So due to the inactivity of the Bucs FO to bring in competition the Bucs might be looking at Wright and a rookie or L. Johnson as our starting CB.

Now if Dominik can somehow pull off the Revis trade without giving up a ton of picks then maybe all this talk will be for naught. Until that happens the Bucs have done little to improve their team this off season.

..because of the cap floor...I'm thinking more and more that Wright will probably be a part of this team next year. Even if they got Revis and kept Wright..they would still be below that cap floor #....I'm starting to think they will just keep Wright instead of giving a few players who are actually solid, that money. It's very confusing why they would settle for a below average CB in Wright...but refuse to go get players who are cheaper and more solid players at their specific positions.

LJ, as of now, is our best CB. An UDFA who would be a dime back on most teams. Yes, we will add key positions in the draft and the offseason isn't over...but there was and still is talent out there to be had that would make this team better in '13. Bummer.

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#128 : March 28, 2013, 12:21:30 PM

I don't think they need to worry about the cap floor due to the contracts coming up.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#129 : March 28, 2013, 12:37:47 PM

I don't think they need to worry about the cap floor due to the contracts coming up.

The only player who they would extend is MW19 before the cap floor has to be met.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#130 : March 28, 2013, 12:41:26 PM

If they don't  reach the floor they can reach into the future and re-do those coming due next year effectively creating cap space for future seasons.... I'm reaching bc I am not seeing what I had hoped to see... yet. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Naismith

Hall of Famer

#131 : March 28, 2013, 12:43:25 PM

The only player who they would extend is MW19 before the cap floor has to be met.

The cap floor is based on a four year period between 2013 and 2016. They don't have to spend 89% each year, just cumulatively over that period.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#132 : March 28, 2013, 07:14:20 PM

Yeah the cap floor is a joke. It has nothing to do with the cap number.  It's based on money spent. And as Spoolios pointed out it isn't enforced until 2016.

It does nothing to make anyone spend money now. But I still think that the cap floor is part of the reason they are going after Revis. 4 years of Revis will ensure that they reach the floor in 2016. Although that is a foolish strategy if it is their strategy.

Revis may be the only way Schiano gets another year.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#133 : March 28, 2013, 10:11:55 PM

The cap floor is based on a four year period between 2013 and 2016. They don't have to spend 89% each year, just cumulatively over that period.

Agree.  Its not that big of a deal really.  There are ways to shift money around so you are cap compliant.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#134 : March 29, 2013, 12:21:43 AM

true that. Just because we don't see doesn't mean they aren't doing anything. For all we know the Bucs and Jets could have a deal in place for Draft weekend and just don't want to expose their respective strategies. We will just have to wait and see if a plan actually does exist.
I'm beginning to think something may happen during the draft as well.
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano .... "Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools