Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano .... "Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 21, 2013, 08:25:53 AM

Poor planning. Now they're left with sloppy seconds. Not good.

Maybe they are looking for veteran quality depth and to draft a couple of guys in April.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 21, 2013, 08:27:36 AM

"Schiano also expects a double-digit sack season from third-year defensive end Da'Quan Bowers"

Bowers needs to come back from injuries, avoid jail, remain healthy, and provide production he never has before.  Yeah, that's a smart bet.

I though he came on strong toward the end of last season as far as production is concerned.

cover-too

Starter

#17 : March 21, 2013, 08:30:21 AM

I think that this years FA CB class was either mediocre, broken or old.  The best corner in FA was who? Sean Smith?  A busted up Brent Grimes?   Methusalah?   I get they need some bodies to play corner, but I am having a hard time justifying bringing someone in who is a half-ass answer on a one year patch deal.   

Revis is equal to two of these corners.  I laud the front office for taking a swing.

If that doesn't work out a patch job and a couple of rooks will get it done more than likely with a slight shift in scheme (as seen vs ATL.). This will be sufficient to get a playoff berth all things working.

We are all passionate about this team...   and that can breed impatience when we don't know what the plan is..

9 days in to free agency.

In these post cba  times I don't think  this one Free agency will  make this team a contender... Does it?

Atlanta brought in Samuel last year after they already had 2 very serviceable corners.  They also had a very good and potent offense already on the field which in turn helped their defense.  It wasn't just "creative scheme" that brought about those results.  While I do agree that the CB class of FA was not that great, whats left is even less.  I am happy they went after Revis and also pleased they didn't go crazy and give up too much to get him, but I can't help but think there were players out there that could have come in and made the team better, even if it was a temporary move until its solidified with better talent later. 

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 21, 2013, 08:34:19 AM

I think that this years FA CB class was either mediocre, broken or old.  The best corner in FA was who? Sean Smith?  A busted up Brent Grimes?   Methusalah?   I get they need some bodies to play corner, but I am having a hard time justifying bringing someone in who is a half-ass answer on a one year patch deal.   

Revis is equal to two of these corners.  I laud the front office for taking a swing.

If that doesn't work out a patch job and a couple of rooks will get it done more than likely with a slight shift in scheme (as seen vs ATL.). This will be sufficient to get a playoff berth all things working.

We are all passionate about this team...   and that can breed impatience when we don't know what the plan is..

In these post cba  times I don't think  this one Free agency will  make this team a contender... Does it?

Goldson is a damn good start. It's a good bet we'll have at least one rookie CB starting for the Bucs in September. Revis would be a great addition but I'd rather save the picks and the cap space. Whoever we sign in free agency will just be a temporary fix while our rookies learn the game. The scheme adjustment Schiano made against the fowlgoons resulted in a win despite the questionable talent level we had a CB. It wouldn't take much to be an upgrade and we already have Goldson in place.  The band-aid approach is better than what it would cost to get Revis. I really hope that deal doesn't get done.

I believe the Bucs will be a contender no matter what happens in the rest of this free agency period. We'll get at least two starters out of the draft if we don't waste picks on Revis. If we do..........

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 21, 2013, 09:19:04 AM

I know what the plan is...we've seen it for years as other teams (capstrapped) sign good players....

We weren't even looking. That should tell you something.

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 21, 2013, 09:38:22 AM

I think a short term patch at corner is exactly what we should have been looking for. I was against signing the mediocre fa talent to big long-term deals but the market dictated prove it deals and we should have been all over that. Allows us more flexibility forbbpa in the draft and gives us insurance for a year then we can look for a premium replacement next year if needed. And all that assumes we get Revis. Without revis it goes double.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 21, 2013, 09:39:59 AM

This FA class wasn't bad. You don't see a slew of super stars in FA and what you saw in guys like Cox, Toller, Lewis and Smith are what regular NFL starters look like. These guys aren't trash. They were on some pretty good pass defenses and all these guys were fairly well regarded. The funnier thing would be to look back at the threads on these cats before FA and see how opinions have morphed on this board.  None of these guys are erasers but teams like NYJ this year, KC, Car, Buffalo, Det and so on are top 15 units without any big name CBs.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 21, 2013, 09:50:13 AM

Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTBO 1m You had the scoop. I couldn't confirm it until a couple hours later. Good job on your part. And boy, are the Bucs ever in need of corner ...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 21, 2013, 09:51:17 AM

Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTBO 13s Sorry for the alarm gang. Nothing new on the Bucs. Was just responding to a message about Biggers. Should have DM instead.

dumbass.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 21, 2013, 09:54:36 AM

Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTBO 1m You had the scoop. I couldn't confirm it until a couple hours later. Good job on your part. And boy, are the Bucs ever in need of corner ...

They were when fa started. Funny, they still haven't done anything...

Madman

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 21, 2013, 10:02:32 AM

So basically old/injured players is what were going for?

Awesome.

Winfield played very well last year. He's clearly a one year stop gap but he wasn't awful. The problem at his age is any year could be the year he loses enough of a step to no longer be effective. Grimes is clearly heavily damaged goods. The rest of what is left is really name without game.

I agree. Winfield should be target #1 even if they got Revis.

About his release... But it's also easy to understand why Winfield would balk after tallying a career-high 101 tackles and breaking up 12 passes in his remarkable renaissance season. Winfield's surprising play was one of several reasons the Vikings outpaced all projections and won 10 games last season.
: March 21, 2013, 10:05:26 AM Madman

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 21, 2013, 10:07:51 AM

No, madman.. He plays good, so we can't have him here.

That's not what FA is for, we aren't a playoff team yet.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#27 : March 21, 2013, 10:14:12 AM

At this point, it's still too early to panic about the corner position. There are still players out there that are better than what we currently have that can help this club this year. The Bucs look to have at least solidified the center of the secondary with a couple of players whose best days are ahead of them. Also an overlooked point about our secondary, the coaching apparently was the worst it's ever been with Ronde doing the coaching informally because the position coach was apparently clueless. This was apparent in the last game when Schiano took over the secondary and the defense played much better as a result.

I still believe that plan A is to get Revis and either a stop gap player for the other side (or Wright if he restructures) and draft a cornerback high in this draft (1st 3 rounds, at least one). Plan B, just might be to draft 2 corners in the first 3 picks and roll with them with the center of the field covered by Gholson and Barron helping in coverage.

Finally, there is still Ronde. I think he'll come back for one more season, especially if he sees that he's still needed. He's still an effective nickel corner and can spell on the outside when necessary. This defense still is going to be better than last year.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 21, 2013, 11:35:35 AM

If we don't change scheme I'm not sure Winfield is a great fit. He's lost some long speed so he's not a great fit out on an island like we use our outside corners.

skipper

Rookie

#29 : March 21, 2013, 11:59:55 AM

This has been a disappointing free agency season for the Bucs. Seems that Dom has put an emphasis on trying to work a trade for Revis and has ignored the available free agent corners. Those corners are being lapped up one at a time by other teams. I see PacMan is now off the table. It appears to me that there was no planning prior to the free agency period opening, they should have targeted the best available corners and gone after them. The market price is not going to do much damage to a team in the top 5 with the most money to burn. Most of the available corners would be an upgrade from what we have. Why not sign a couple to one year deals? A show me contract. Dom is playing with fire, this team isn't going anywhere unless we have some decent corners and if we fail to get a decent veteran or two then this could very well be Doms last year as the Bucs G.M.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano .... "Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools