Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano .... "Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 21, 2013, 12:03:26 PM

So basically old/injured players is what were going for?

Awesome.

Lot of people on this board were salivating over young/inconsistent/injured players like Derek Cox and Greg Toler.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 21, 2013, 12:13:56 PM

I like that they're going for the elite talents.   I'll be patient.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Madman

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 21, 2013, 12:14:03 PM

If we don't change scheme I'm not sure Winfield is a great fit. He's lost some long speed so he's not a great fit out on an island like we use our outside corners.

I hear you. I'm not sure the Bucs have anyone who can be on an island right now. Winfield can still be very effective in cover 2 situations. Might need to adjust the scheme.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#33 : March 21, 2013, 12:28:06 PM

This FA class wasn't bad. You don't see a slew of super stars in FA and what you saw in guys like Cox, Toller, Lewis and Smith are what regular NFL starters look like. These guys aren't trash. They were on some pretty good pass defenses and all these guys were fairly well regarded. The funnier thing would be to look back at the threads on these cats before FA and see how opinions have morphed on this board.  None of these guys are erasers but teams like NYJ this year, KC, Car, Buffalo, Det and so on are top 15 units without any big name CBs.

I thought the opinions were warped before FA, honestly. I think if you could take all the best years each player had and assume that was the norm, then sure - it was a good class. But these guys were roller coasters and I didn't see a lot of effort by their current teams to keep them.

And sure, I'd love to have picked up Smith - but that was based as raw attributes and the hope that they could help him put it all together, not so much on his past performance. Cox was a constantly banged up CB on a terrible pass D. Funny, but when we hired Tony Oden, there weren't a lot of supporters. Much more love for the guy playing on that bad defense.

I'm not sure what you are talking about in the last sentence. KC was the 31st worst pass defense according to FO. Buffalo was 22nd, and Det 21. The best of that bunch was NYJ, at 10, and last time I checked, they started two former round 1 picks (not including the 2 games they got from Revis) at CB.

I honestly don't know what the Bucs plan is. I do know that they've made it fairly clear that what they've got at CB isn't good enough. And I also know they aren't in the habit of telling us what their plan is.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 21, 2013, 12:28:39 PM

If we don't change scheme I'm not sure Winfield is a great fit. He's lost some long speed so he's not a great fit out on an island like we use our outside corners.

I hear you. I'm not sure the Bucs have anyone who can be on an island right now. Winfield can still be very effective in cover 2 situations. Might need to adjust the scheme.

How many teams do, Madman?

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#35 : March 21, 2013, 12:32:43 PM

Are there any left Greg? Outside of Brent Grimes that is. If you don't go after the top of the CB Free Agent class because you don't care for them. What does that say about the middle to bottom tier players.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 21, 2013, 12:36:00 PM

At this point you better sign Grimes and trade up to insure you get Dee Milliner or Xavier Rhodes.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 21, 2013, 12:40:22 PM

I like that they're going for the elite talents.   I'll be patient.

Me too. Like the aggressive approach. If we see that for the next few years we will be back in the tournament and contending again like good ole days.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 21, 2013, 12:41:57 PM

How many teams run our scheme?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 21, 2013, 12:42:27 PM

So basically old/injured players is what were going for?

Awesome.

Winfield played very well last year. He's clearly a one year stop gap but he wasn't awful. The problem at his age is any year could be the year he loses enough of a step to no longer be effective. Grimes is clearly heavily damaged goods. The rest of what is left is really name without game.

I agree. Winfield should be target #1 even if they got Revis.

About his release... But it's also easy to understand why Winfield would balk after tallying a career-high 101 tackles and breaking up 12 passes in his remarkable renaissance season. Winfield's surprising play was one of several reasons the Vikings outpaced all projections and won 10 games last season.

Would love to have him for a year and see if he has anything left.

For those who put stock into PFFs player rankings, over the past 5 seasons Winfield's overall PFF rankings among all NFL CBs...he has ranked:
2008: #1
2009: #13
2010: #1
2011:  #9
2012: #1

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 21, 2013, 12:43:59 PM

If I'm the vikes, I'm trying to get him back.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 21, 2013, 01:10:14 PM

How many teams run our scheme?

Never mind - I thought you guys were saying something different. My bad.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 23, 2013, 07:38:39 PM

I wonder how many of these fa cbs are going to visit? 

I should ask,  Why are no fa cbs visiting?

When Schiano says he is going to "actively pursue" remaining fa cbs what exactly does he mean?  Is he going to get there home addresses and knock on their front doors? Oh wait, that would never work.  He can go with Dominater....I can hear it now.......as DOM says.....hey Coach S....... why don't you wait in the car. ....I'll go knock. Brilliant plan.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Bucko40

Hall of Famer
#43 : March 23, 2013, 08:38:32 PM

Tick Tock Dom, Tick Tock.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 23, 2013, 08:50:38 PM

http://www.theredzone.org/FreeAgency/NFLFreeAgentVisits.aspx

According to this the Bucs only had one scheduled visit.

Intrepret that as you wish.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano .... "Bucs will actively pursue some remaining free-agent corners" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools