Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#135 : March 25, 2013, 03:56:27 PM

Roll with Dotson. He should, at the very least, improve slightly...which would make him a fairly solid starter at RT. Sure, there isn't much depth, but Dotson played well enough last year to be the starting RT through TC and at the start of the regular season. The difference between him and Trueblood was night and day last year. Not one of our pressing needs, IMO.
This is true. As bad as you think Davin Joseph is, I think Dotson's play should only improve. How much, probably not by a whole lot. But, the guy definitely faded towards the end of the year.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#136 : March 25, 2013, 04:02:44 PM

I've been on the Austin bandwagon since September. World class athlete with great football instincts and savvy. He will most likely be the best offensive player in the draft and if he came here he'd be unstoppable in the slot.

Hell you can even have him sub in for Martin and take 5-6 carries a game if need be. And your set with an elite KR/PR. If we take him at #13, and we don't get Revis, double up on the CB's round 2 and 3.

Draft a DT and DE with both the 4th rounders.

I have no idea what we're doing about the competition at RT though.

Isn't Sean Locklear with the NY Giants still available?  Depending on his recovery from an injury, he might be an option.
Yup. He has played guard though recently but I wouldn't be mad if we brought him in after the draft for a cheap multi-year deal.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#137 : March 25, 2013, 05:21:34 PM

Roll with Dotson. He should, at the very least, improve slightly...which would make him a fairly solid starter at RT. Sure, there isn't much depth, but Dotson played well enough last year to be the starting RT through TC and at the start of the regular season. The difference between him and Trueblood was night and day last year. Not one of our pressing needs, IMO.
This is true. As bad as you think Davin Joseph is, I think Dotson's play should only improve. How much, probably not by a whole lot. But, the guy definitely faded towards the end of the year.

Lol, not sure what my opinion of Joseph has to to with Dotson. :)

Let me summarize my thoughts on Davin. I wouldn't say he is bad or terrible, just overrated. I won't bring the money thing into this..so ill just concentrate on his play. Overall, I feel he is an average G. His play has deteriorated every since hos foot injury in '08. He has trouble staying healthy as well. His worst year as a pro was 2011, but that was overshadowed by his pro-bowl selection.

Back to Dotson. Yes, he did seem to have a drop off in Olay during the last month or so of the season. Hopefully with TC and preseason reps, we see some improvement in his play...which would include no fading down the stretch.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#138 : March 25, 2013, 05:43:26 PM

Let me summarize my thoughts on Davin. I wouldn't say he is bad or terrible, just overrated. I won't bring the money thing into this..so ill just concentrate on his play. Overall, I feel he is an average G. His play has deteriorated every since hos foot injury in '08. He has trouble staying healthy as well. His worst year as a pro was 2011, but that was overshadowed by his pro-bowl selection.

Back to Dotson. Yes, he did seem to have a drop off in Olay during the last month or so of the season. Hopefully with TC and preseason reps, we see some improvement in his play...which would include no fading down the stretch.

Could cut Joseph and draft Warmack, if Austin is not available.

You must be accountable for your actions!

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#139 : March 25, 2013, 05:58:53 PM

Warmack probably won't be there. If he were there, it would be tempting for me, if I were GM, to be able to cut the salary of my RG position literally in half, and at the same time get what should be a better player who is significantly younger and has a very high ceiling.

...but we also have to figure in that it seems that the plan is to address all the teams holes/needs during the draft, and it seems they are still in love with Davin, so the G position is probably way down the list of things they need to take care of first.

CB, CB, DE, DT, TE...and maybe even LB, WR, QB, OT.

El Diablo

Starter

#140 : March 25, 2013, 05:59:50 PM

I love warmack and his sweet muffintop. I let my belly out at work from time to time and he is my inspiration. Seriously think he and Werner are the best guys coming out of this draft. I really like Austin and think he is a world class athlete. I just don't think he will have a long shelf life in the NFL. 175ish isn't gonna work for too long returning in the NFL. He might be great for a few years though before he has mush brain like Vick.. and soon to be rg3.
: March 25, 2013, 06:02:02 PM El Diablo

danlowe748

Starter

#141 : March 25, 2013, 07:50:27 PM

There are too many needs on defense to consider picking yet another crutch for Freeman in the first round.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#142 : March 25, 2013, 07:53:39 PM

Besides a #1 corner, all those needs are depth and rotational players on defense IMO

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

danlowe748

Starter

#143 : March 25, 2013, 07:55:32 PM

Who do they have at DT other than McCoy?    Who do they have at linebacker other than David?    Who do they have at #2 corner?     Bowers will not make it through the season healthy.   Clayborn may not either.    The only positions they are set at on D are safety, David's linebacker spot, and McCoy.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#144 : March 25, 2013, 07:57:12 PM

My point was (and I didn't type it) that those guys will be much easier to get in the draft and post draft free agency. 

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#145 : March 25, 2013, 07:57:34 PM

Besides a #1 corner, all those needs are depth and rotational players on defense IMO

Agreed. Those positions were listed how I think the FO could be looking at things, based upon how they have approached the offseason so far.

danlowe748

Starter

#146 : March 25, 2013, 07:59:22 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of seeing teams rip the crap out of our defense.    The Eagles loser QB threw for over 400 yards if I'm not mistaken.    The D has far less talent than the O.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#147 : March 25, 2013, 08:18:07 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of seeing teams rip the crap out of our defense.    The Eagles loser QB threw for over 400 yards if I'm not mistaken.    The D has far less talent than the O.
and the bucs are going after the best safety and best cb.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#148 : March 25, 2013, 08:26:38 PM

There are too many needs on defense to consider picking yet another crutch for Freeman in the first round.

I am starting to wonder if Bucs fans would rather draft and reach or draft BPA...

You must be accountable for your actions!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#149 : March 25, 2013, 08:32:47 PM

You're right, but that wasn't my point.  I believe, I could be wrong though, that GameTime's point was that Brady being a Hall of Famer is what helped Welker be a stud.  The only point I was trying to make was that Welker put up similar numbers in Miami (average-wise), with 3 awful QB's that he did with Brady.  The comparison is about ability not opportunity.  Ability-wise, there's no reason Autin couldn't be an 85 rec / 900 yd receiver.  Opportunity-wise, with Jackson and Williams here, is that he'll likely be Welker (Miami-version), 60 recs and 650 yards.

that 2006 year the dolphins passed for 3600 yards...about 400 less than freeman did this past season...25ish yards a game.  both teams had similar attempts.  i do agree austin could be a bigtime WR, but it would take being in the right situation with the right QB.  do we have it?  possibly.  what do we ask our #3 WR to do?    do we want vjax to be the slot WR when we go 3 wide?  in that 2006 year welker was the leading WR, yet the ball was very evenly distributed.  is that how it would work here?  would you take away the deep balls from vjax to throw underneath stuff?

is the miami version of welker worth the #13 pick in the draft?

If we are running the NYG offense then Jackson = Nicks and stays outside and Austin = Cruz in the slot

Page: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tavon Austin is custom-built for the modern NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools