Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Schiano Effect « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#105 : March 25, 2013, 10:08:04 AM

It also makes no sense that if they are pursuing fa corners now....why have none have even visited up until now.  Do you think they JUST NOW decided to go after fa corners?

Why doesn't 2+2 add up?

Put it all together and it makes no sense,  unless the players just don't want to come here.

I rest my case.

before you rest your case, can you list where all the FA corners have visited?

here's some math for you.  the Bucs want top tier quality this offseason.  they dont want to pay depth guys big dollars.  they are content riding their horses and letting the "scrubs" mop up.  you might disagree with it, but no one will know the answer until after next season.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#106 : March 25, 2013, 10:16:55 AM

Belichek, Coughlin and  Shanahan all say hi.

Throw in the Harbaugh Brothers, Sean Payton and the guy in Detroit. All are hard nosed HC.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#107 : March 25, 2013, 10:28:05 AM

It also makes no sense that if they are pursuing fa corners now....why have none have even visited up until now.  Do you think they JUST NOW decided to go after fa corners?

Why doesn't 2+2 add up?

Put it all together and it makes no sense,  unless the players just don't want to come here.

I rest my case.

here's some math for you.  the Bucs want top tier quality this offseason.  they dont want to pay depth guys big dollars.  they are content riding their horses and letting the "scrubs" mop up.  you might disagree with it, but no one will know the answer until after next season.

The problem wi this argument is no one is paying anyone big $$$, well other than us for a %#]]{| safety and the Dolphins for darn near anybody.  Plus the CBs we are talking about aren't depth they are starters - i mean i guess a guy who started for the PIT defense is not good enough to be more than depth here in your mind for example. We need 3 starters at CB.  We've added none.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#108 : March 25, 2013, 10:33:39 AM

The problem with this argument is no one is paying anyone big $$$, well other than us for a %#]]{| safety and the Dolphins for darn near anybody.  Plus the CBs we are talking about aren't depth they are starters - i mean i guess a guy who started for the PIT defense is not good enough to be more than depth here in your mind for example. We need 3 starters at CB.  We've added none.

^This^ needs to be "stickied" to the top of every thread that is discussing the current state of the Bucs CB issue.

Good stuff dal.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#109 : March 25, 2013, 10:58:33 AM

The problem wi this argument is no one is paying anyone big $$$, well other than us for a %#]]{| safety and the Dolphins for darn near anybody.  Plus the CBs we are talking about aren't depth they are starters - i mean i guess a guy who started for the PIT defense is not good enough to be more than depth here in your mind for example. We need 3 starters at CB.  We've added none.

guess it all depends on your idea of big $$$.  the CB starters that have signed are all meh.  i liked 'em sure.  but lets be honest...meh.  that guy that started on pitt's D...did anyone know his name before the 2012 season?  i can understand not wanting to pay him $6mil to be a #2 or #3 here. 

i also to a degree disagree on needing 3 starters.  actually i do agree, i just think its much easier than others think.  its very likely imo we go into the season with revis, desmond trufant, leonard johnson, gaitor and gorrer.  id be fine with that.  a guy like logan ryan could easily be added to that mix.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#110 : March 25, 2013, 11:01:26 AM

guess it all depends on your idea of big $$$.   
Michael Clayton, Davin Joseph, Quincy Black, Jeremy Trueblood, and Eric Wright type $$$, I'd have to assume.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#111 : March 25, 2013, 11:08:09 AM

maybe there is a new thought process on contracts now that schiano has gotten his NFL feet wet?

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#112 : March 25, 2013, 11:10:38 AM

GT. I understand you feeling that the CBs that were signed or that are still out there are "meh". Yes, none of them are Revis or really good #1-type CBs...but let's be honest. Having one or two of the "meh" CBs would significantly upgrade the current group of CBs and would have mostly significant likely helped our CB group last year.

..and just because the casual NFL fan may not know much about Keenan Lewis, does not mean that he is not a solid player that could upgrade this current group of CBs.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#113 : March 25, 2013, 11:24:32 AM

GT. I understand you feeling that the CBs that were signed or that are still out there are "meh". Yes, none of them are Revis or really good #1-type CBs...but let's be honest. Having one or two of the "meh" CBs would significantly upgrade the current group of CBs and would have mostly significant likely helped our CB group last year.

..and just because the casual NFL fan may not know much about Keenan Lewis, does not mean that he is not a solid player that could upgrade this current group of CBs.

i certainly agree that these "meh" guys would upgrade our defense.  i just also think there is more way to skin a cat.  had we signed 2 of these guys at 6mil per we would not be able to get revis.  im fine getting revis next month and pairing him with whomever.  id also have been fine with signing sean smith and keenan lewis. 

and just to clarify for some, i think these guys are better than "meh".  i would have gotten excited over signing them, but im certainly not distraught over bypassing them.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#114 : March 25, 2013, 11:44:19 AM

i certainly agree that these "meh" guys would upgrade our defense.  i just also think there is more way to skin a cat.  had we signed 2 of these guys at 6mil per we would not be able to get revis.  im fine getting revis next month and pairing him with whomever.  id also have been fine with signing sean smith and keenan lewis. 

and just to clarify for some, i think these guys are better than "meh".  i would have gotten excited over signing them, but im certainly not distraught over bypassing them.

Definitely can skin a cat several different ways. Personally, I'll believe we will get Revis, when he is actually sitting at the presser with 16:00 and Schiano. All of the FA CBs who have signed, averaged around $5 mil per year, so saying $6mil per is fair to assume since it could have taken a little more $ to get them to Tampa. That said, I don't think it would be all that realistic to get two of the $6mil guys such as DRC/Smith. One of the $6mil guys would have been fine and maybe even one of the guys still out there for $3-$4 per year and paring them with a top CB draft prospect. If Revis were acquired then you could cancel the mid-tier $3-4mil CB in that scenario, but still get one of the top "meh" CBs and a quality CB prospect in the draft. Getting a $6mil CB would still leave plenty of cash for Revis and even an extension for MW19 this offseason. 16:00 would do a good job of structuring the contracts to leave plenty of $ just in case Freeman earns that second contract as well as any FA options they might want to pursue in 2014. Even though we have handed a lot of mediocre players a ton of cash, the FO has shown the ability to not sacrifice the financial future of this team, and signing 1 or 2 CBs would not cripple this team. There is little doubt in my mind that a CB or two will be added in April, I just hope that we add at least one FA CB or trade for one with Revis or Shields.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#115 : March 25, 2013, 02:07:54 PM

Please link me to the quotes from the Bucs that detail the above plan.  I have heard this from several posters and I would like to see where Dom said this exactly.

Thanks in advance.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#116 : March 25, 2013, 02:18:50 PM

Prepare to get dumped on.  I posted this theory a while back and got beat up pretty bad.

And rightfully so. It's nonsense. We've brought in bigger FA since Schiano has been here than we have in almost 10 years.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#117 : March 25, 2013, 02:24:41 PM

Please link me to the quotes from the Bucs that detail the above plan.  I have heard this from several posters and I would like to see where Dom said this exactly.

Thanks in advance.

my b.  im pretty good throwing in the "imo".  forgot in this case.   i dont have any links or inside information on dominik, im just trying to figure it out without getting my undies in a wad.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#118 : March 25, 2013, 04:38:58 PM

The problem with this argument is no one is paying anyone big $$$, well other than us for a %#]]{| safety and the Dolphins for darn near anybody.  Plus the CBs we are talking about aren't depth they are starters - i mean i guess a guy who started for the PIT defense is not good enough to be more than depth here in your mind for example. We need 3 starters at CB.  We've added none.

^This^ needs to be "stickied" to the top of every thread that is discussing the current state of the Bucs CB issue.

Good stuff dal.

We're about to add two, one is the best in the game, or at least was last time he played and the other is likely the 2nd best CB in the draft. Everyone get's so impatient. We have many more opportunities to pick up CB. Did anyone ever stop to think maybe there is a reason we haven't added anyone at our largest weakness? Not becuase we're good with Leo Johnson and Gorrer but beause the guys we are eventually going to get are much much better?

No probably not. This forum wants us to be like the Dolphins, shell out huge contracts thinking it'll fix everything. When you find the right guy, you pay him. Not everyone is worth big money.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#119 : March 25, 2013, 05:49:42 PM

Good stuff dal.

We're about to add two, one is the best in the game, or at least was last time he played and the other is likely the 2nd best CB in the draft. Everyone get's so impatient. We have many more opportunities to pick up CB. Did anyone ever stop to think maybe there is a reason we haven't added anyone at our largest weakness? Not becuase we're good with Leo Johnson and Gorrer but beause the guys we are eventually going to get are much much better?

No probably not. This forum wants us to be like the Dolphins, shell out huge contracts thinking it'll fix everything. When you find the right guy, you pay him. Not everyone is worth big money.

You gotta put dal's post into context before jumping to the conclusion that is just "impatience" speaking.

"they dont want to pay depth guys big dollars"

^That^ was the part of GT's post that led to dal's response. It was mostly fueled by the argument that none of the guys were worth signing because they would be too expensive(which turned out to be false), and because they are depth players(which for the most part is false). We may very well have Revis and a decent rookie CB on the roster by the start of May, and if so, cool. No one is saying that the season is starting tomorrow and we're f*cked. What there is, are questions/specualtions as to what the offseason plan actually is. I don't know why anytime someone points out the obvious, such as our biggest need was/is CB and we have done nothing yet to fix it...that it's automatically responded to with "stop hating" or "stop questioning, you couldn't be better GM". I think a lot of fans questions(and admittedly some complaints) come from the fact that it seems that we now have more holes than we did when the season ended, and there are only so many picks at our disposal. Also combine that with the fact that the CB/DE FA pool had a lot of players that could have been had for decent $ and could have came in and immediately filled holes resulting in solid production. We may see 3-4 rookies starting this year at key positions, which could work out fine, but we might be in for a rude awakening if we expect/hope that our new rookies perform like LvD and Martin did last year.

Personally, I don't want us to be like the Dolphins. I would have just liked to have seen us address the CB position like we did the TE/WR/LB position and at least get a guy(maybe two) who isn't necessarily the #1,2,3 CB FA, but someone who at least helps to solidify the defensive backfield that is in shambles and that person would also be somewhat of a safety net in case Revis is not added..cause let's be real.....it's definitely not a 100% forgone conclusion that he will a Buc next season.
: March 25, 2013, 06:06:24 PM chace1986

Page: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Schiano Effect « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools