Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano....“You can’t load the entire roster in a two-year period.” « previous next »
Page: 1 2

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

« #15 : September 25, 2013, 08:18:28 AM »

Not defending Schiano here because at this point I don't think the guy is an NFL coach. But I was listening to the Greg Schiano show where he made these comments. I do believe they have been taken a little out of context. The caller to which he was responding was making numerous comments regarding the lack of quality depth on the team. He was a little on Schiano about relying on players with injuries and not having solid backups to relieve them when they go down. So I think these comments by Schiano were referencing the depth, not the starters on our roster.

As far as the comparison to the colts, that is silly. We all know why the Colts are better than they were a couple of seasons ago.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #16 : September 25, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »

Wow. I was only 90% sure I was done with Schiano.....but now I'm 100%. Is he REALLY making excuses? I mean, this is the excuse he wants to go with? He was handed a talented roster and has added a crap load of talent through big FA spending, trades, and the draft. Our depth sucks but that is because he wants players like Tim Wright and Keith Tandy. Our starting line up (outside of QB) is one of the best in the league. First he refuses to take responsibility for the ugly losses, and now he is making tired ass excuses? Eff this guy. Go back to college. You are NOT the man we were told you were.

Sheep - lead them anywhere, feed them anything.......

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

« #17 : September 25, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »

Coach Schiano is suffering from what has led to the failure of a lot of good coaches - not having a good Qb.  A lot of decent coaches have failed all because they didn't have a good Qb on the team. And a lot of them look like HoF coaches because  the found the goose that laid the golden egg.....ask Mike Shanahan about that (with John Elway and RGIII).  Spurrier had great players, best money could bring in, on the Skins - got nowhere because he didn't have a franchise type Qb.  Andrew Luck has the "it" factor - and the reason why the Colts are a good team.

That is absolutely true! Very rarely is a team successful w/o a top QB. It has been done for ONE YEAR by some teams; us with Brad Johnson in 2002; the Raiders with Jim Plunkett back in 1980 and again in '83 when he came off the bench in mid-season to win his 2nd Super Bowl. And of course our beloved Trent Dilfer with the Ravens.
   SUSTAINED excellence, especially in the Goodell NFL, really reqires a top-tier QB. Back-to-back championships are REAL hard to pull off even WITH a top-tier QB. Look what a difference it made in Belechick's resume after he left Cleveland and was introduced to Tom Brady...

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #18 : September 25, 2013, 08:46:43 AM »

To be fair, those quotes are being twisted to create a story. The "can't load a roster in 2 years" quote is when he was asked about 3rd WR and TE. The quote about havig good players, he's talking about the team as a whole. There is some points in this article that are correct, but the leading premise is media twisted crap.

Don't get me wrong. I'm over Schiano, Freeman and Sully. But the Tampa media is full of goons and hacks.

Great post.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

BaghdadJoe54

Starter

« #19 : September 25, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »

Lots of good discussion, but does anyone disagree with his statement?

I agree the perception is bad, and not the ideal statement to make but I actually believe what he said is true.  For any team. 

The entire roster would suggest your starters, and depth... at every position.  At lot of the points people have made are about improvements to the roster or the fact he has talent.  That wasn't his point.  Again, not saying I agree, just stating that his point at face value is correct. 

Problem to me is this is more a college reference.  In the NFL, you rarely if ever get a chance to stack an entire roster 

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #20 : September 25, 2013, 08:55:04 AM »

Twist or no....the words "You can't load an entire roster in a two year period" is a total **CENSORED**ing cop out ans should never leave the mouth of a respectable NFL head coach. He is proving himself to not only be bush league as many claim, but even worse he is showing himself to not be the man of great morals and honor that we were lead to believe. The words that should be coming out of his mouth are "As head coach I take full responsibility for this horrendous showing and I apologize to the tampa fanbase" but I haven't seen him ever say anything close to that.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #21 : September 25, 2013, 08:58:07 AM »

Also, that statement is saying that he does not have the players he needs to win. His players are not good enough. He is putting the blame on the roster not being good enough. He is turning on his players and not taking the blame or responsibility.

Soon enough we will see this roster decide that Schiano is not good enough. I'm excited for that day. This chump can kick rocks.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #22 : September 25, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »

Apparently Schiano forgot to consult with Dom before making this statement

CalicoJack55

Hall of Famer

« #23 : September 25, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »

Where is Mark Dominik?

Dominik specialized in acquiring talented players who were bad fits for his coaches. - FootballOutsiders

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

« #24 : September 25, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »

Where is Mark Dominik?

Hiding in his fall-out shelter hoping he can emerge from the ashes like he did after Raheem.

It wont work this time.

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Schiano....“You can’t load the entire roster in a two-year period.” « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools