Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once again message board GMs had no clue. Bennett is injured! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #60 : March 24, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »

And how do you have any clue that a looming shoulder surgery was a "non issue" for the FO?

Seriously, you have to be daft to think it was an issue. He played with it. I like the use of the word "looming" like this is some major procedure.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #61 : March 24, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »

And how do you have any clue that a looming shoulder surgery was a "non issue" for the FO?

Seriously, you have to be daft to think it was an issue. He played with it. I like the use of the word "looming" like this is some major procedure.

+1

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #62 : March 24, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »

You are both clearly all knowing.  No point in continuing this.  I bow to you.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #63 : March 24, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »

Thinking, I know it hurts so don't bother.

What I love is making an argument to authority when your authority is Mark Dominik. Dude, seriously you need to work on that.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #64 : March 24, 2013, 10:26:12 PM »

Bennett is INJURED.  Revis is fine.  Geez. 

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #65 : March 24, 2013, 11:54:22 PM »

Losing Bennett was never a big deal for me. Not picking up depth to replace him is what I have issue with.

Agreed.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #66 : March 25, 2013, 12:46:58 AM »

Da’Quan Bowers, Not a Torn Rotator Cuff, Was Reason For Michael Bennett Signing With Seattle Seahawks

Mar 24th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

by Leo Howell

Adam Schefter reported today that Michael Bennett may have failed to catch on with a long term deal thanks to a torn rotator cuff. Here is his tweeted report:

Adam Schefter        ✔ @AdamSchefter

Seahaws DE Michael Bennett, who left Tampa for Seattle, was diagnosed with torn rotator cuff. Injury why Bennett got a 1-yr deal in SEA.

9:05 PM - 24 Mar 13

265 Retweets 24 favorites

And while it’s certainly reasonable to think the Buccaneers might have been scared off by this injury, the truth is that Michael Bennett is making far too much in Seattle compared to what his 2013 role would be in Tampa Bay with the Buccaneers. Bennett figured to be a backup in the rotation, mainly playing nickel situations, and five million dollars is just too much for a player in that situation.

As we speculated earlier here on The Pewter Plank, Mark Dominik has his plans in place, and one of those plans appears to be starting Da’Quan Bowers at defensive end in 2013. Dominik took a chance on the often injured Bowers, and despite a slide in the draft order, he was considered a top prospect coming out of Clemson. The Buccaneers have waited out his many injuries, and he figures to be at his healthiest coming into the 2013 season, assuming he is cleared of gun charges and faces no suspensions or jail time.

So with Bowers slotted in as a starting defensive end, and with Adrian Clayborn occupying the other defensive end position, there was no room for Bennett to make anything resembling starter’s pay.  Whether or not your agree with Dominik’s logic, the reason for Michael Bennett signing a one year deal with the Seahawks rather than with the Buccaneers is because he didn’t figure prominently into the plans for 2013. And honestly, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to let a former undrafted free agent player walk for bigger money and to focus on your former second round pick.

http://thepewterplank.com/2013/03/24/daquan-bowers-not-a-torn-rotator-cuff-was-reason-for-michael-bennett-signing-with-seattle-seahawks/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Hot%2BTopics

gone

Hall of Famer
« #67 : March 25, 2013, 01:36:49 AM »

Dude,you were wrong, and insulting about it.  Nobody expects apologies for the insult part but at least admit you were way off base.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #68 : March 25, 2013, 03:24:31 AM »

I think its funny that many people consider Bennett as the Bucs best pass rusher based on sack total only. First off, I think McCoy and Clayborn are the Bucs pass rushers. McCoy drew tons of attention and still had a good year for a DT regardless of sacks. Whos to benefit most from that? Bennett. Bennett was drawing Rts and TEs all year yet put up marginal numbers. teams have been able to target McCoy and Clayborn and its showed. Both have played well, but haven't been able to rack up the sack numbers and have both been the targets of protection by opposing offenses. Clayborn going out this year and McCoy playing DT have seem to have crowned Bennett by default.

Clayborn put up comparable numbers as a rook going up against a generally better athlete week in and out at LT as opposed to RT. Add in McCoy and Clayborn have generally drawn more attention, Bennett should have been putting up better numbers.

Bennett is average. Great against the run and average against the pass. the Bucs aren't losing much in the pass rush department losing Bennett. In the run game that's a different story. if anyones view reflects that, I have to respect it. Considering him as  a pass rusher is just silly though. Does anyone really think a LE run defender with adequate pass rushing is worth multiple years at over $5 mil? in 30 games over the last 2 years Bennett has 13 sacks. that's about 1 every 3 games yet guys are acting like he had the production of Ray Edwards(whos overrated) and should've been locked up.

Clayborn in his 19 games has 7.5 sacks and close to 1 every 2 games playing a more difficult position by most standards. hell, in 21 games, McCoy has 9 sacks at a position that the elite generally only hit 5 or 6 a full year. basin the measurements of basic averages and position totals, McCoy and Clayborn out perform Bennett.

The biggest loss with Bennett is his run support. the same could be said for Miller. The Bucs had a top run though and its likely that the staff think that assignments and execution led to that over Miller and Bennetts skills. I don't think anyone could really argue that fact given the result they've had the few years prior to schiano.

Is it a loss? yes to some extent....mostly in the run game. Can that production be replaced? IMO, yes it can and moderately easily.  don't think they've addressed that issue yet, but its weeks from the draft and FA isn't really winding down until week 1. If that production hasn't been replaced on paper by then, feel free to freak out. I also realize uncertainty about clayborn after his injury plays some part, but his effort or heart has never been an issue and one can only assume hell do everything he can to be as close to 100% by the start of the season as possible.

The Bennett loss means very little IMO as long as the find someone whos capable of being a #3...maybe a #2 DE if injuries present itself. beyond that, Bennett was marginal. Same can be said for Miller IMO. His new found resurrection was because of scheme more than talent IMO, They bring the NT to do everything he can to disrupt the LG and C and try to force them into leaving McCoy in 1 on 1s. Even with a scheme geared to that, McCoy saw way more attention than he should with a tilted nose next to him. So why Miller was improved and the run d was tops, Miller wasn't effecting the matchups as much as he should have.

believe me, Im concerned with what/who they are going to field, but its far from the time to worry or trip out.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #69 : March 25, 2013, 04:20:38 AM »

Bennett was our leading pass rusher and run stuffer and he played all year with a torn rotator cuff? 

How was releasing him a good idea again?

And didn't Dom say he thought he had hit the ceiling of his potential?

NONE of this makes sense. Yet Myron can't play with a hang nail.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #70 : March 25, 2013, 04:26:54 AM »

Bowers is a much safer bet. 

Except for the gun charges and the fact that he has never been healthy.

DOH!!

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

« #71 : March 25, 2013, 05:20:26 AM »

The gun charge is barely even a thing.

Healthy I will give you.  BUT! Healthy, Bowers is better than he'll ever be and that's not even saying Bennett was bad.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #72 : March 25, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »

Losing Bennett was never a big deal for me. Not picking up depth to replace him is what I have issue with.

Agreed.

This is the issue most people are worried about.  The team needs a legit 3rd DE, and the price for Bennett seemed more than reasonable.

youngone

Hall of Famer
« #73 : March 25, 2013, 09:40:14 AM »

Agreed.

This is the issue most people are worried about.  The team needs a legit 3rd DE, and the price for Bennett seemed more than reasonable.

I agree but was that price ever offered to the bucs? He took 5 mil to go to a contender to get exposure for next year FA but I don't think he would have took that same 5 mil to stay here.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #74 : March 25, 2013, 09:46:47 AM »

I can see both sides of the Bennett decision... taking the long view  - Bennett has hit his ceiling and putting him into a long term contract would make him 'middle class' ...

all the stuff I've been reading about how the CBA has affected contracts indicates the middle class of football player is going to rapidly become non-existant in the next 3 years due to the flat cap...

Very few teams can pay middle class guys and be competitive.  In our situation, where the window is now opening - I think we have to focus on obtaining elite talent to get us over that hump.

To that end - things I think...

I think its BPA at 13, regardless of position (if that draftee is considered an elite prospect at the position - that will be the choice).  I think the deal for Revis is done waiitng for the draft and  finally I think they'll go after some more veteran role players once we get past the draft.

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.
  Page: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once again message board GMs had no clue. Bennett is injured! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools