Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once again message board GMs had no clue. Bennett is injured! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16

muvlodge

Pro Bowler
#75 : March 25, 2013, 09:55:18 AM

I have a torn rotator cuff and let me tell you it is one of the worst feeling injuries I have had.  There is a surgery to supposedly make it feel not as bad but it involves removing the ligament that is between your collar bone and the bone on the other side of your shoulder. it connects the two.  I don't think that would be good for a football player to undergo and then play with.  I won't get it done and I am a 35 yr old has been kinda was.  Bucs did a good job of evaluating there. I feel betternow. I also wonder where some signings are. Although we have Bowers we still need some solid rotational depth.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#76 : March 25, 2013, 09:55:30 AM

Losing Bennett was never a big deal for me. Not picking up depth to replace him is what I have issue with.

Agreed.

This is the issue most people are worried about.  The team needs a legit 3rd DE, and the price for Bennett seemed more than reasonable.

I agree but was that price ever offered to the bucs?

Usually the team is who makes the contract offers.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#77 : March 25, 2013, 10:03:43 AM

I think its funny that many people consider Bennett as the Bucs best pass rusher based on sack total only. First off, I think McCoy and Clayborn are the Bucs pass rushers. McCoy drew tons of attention and still had a good year for a DT regardless of sacks. Whos to benefit most from that? Bennett. Bennett was drawing Rts and TEs all year yet put up marginal numbers. teams have been able to target McCoy and Clayborn and its showed. Both have played well, but haven't been able to rack up the sack numbers and have both been the targets of protection by opposing offenses. Clayborn going out this year and McCoy playing DT have seem to have crowned Bennett by default.

Clayborn put up comparable numbers as a rook going up against a generally better athlete week in and out at LT as opposed to RT. Add in McCoy and Clayborn have generally drawn more attention, Bennett should have been putting up better numbers.

Bennett is average. Great against the run and average against the pass. the Bucs aren't losing much in the pass rush department losing Bennett. In the run game that's a different story. if anyones view reflects that, I have to respect it. Considering him as  a pass rusher is just silly though. Does anyone really think a LE run defender with adequate pass rushing is worth multiple years at over $5 mil? in 30 games over the last 2 years Bennett has 13 sacks. that's about 1 every 3 games yet guys are acting like he had the production of Ray Edwards(whos overrated) and should've been locked up.

Clayborn in his 19 games has 7.5 sacks and close to 1 every 2 games playing a more difficult position by most standards. hell, in 21 games, McCoy has 9 sacks at a position that the elite generally only hit 5 or 6 a full year. basin the measurements of basic averages and position totals, McCoy and Clayborn out perform Bennett.

The biggest loss with Bennett is his run support. the same could be said for Miller. The Bucs had a top run though and its likely that the staff think that assignments and execution led to that over Miller and Bennetts skills. I don't think anyone could really argue that fact given the result they've had the few years prior to schiano.

Is it a loss? yes to some extent....mostly in the run game. Can that production be replaced? IMO, yes it can and moderately easily.  don't think they've addressed that issue yet, but its weeks from the draft and FA isn't really winding down until week 1. If that production hasn't been replaced on paper by then, feel free to freak out. I also realize uncertainty about clayborn after his injury plays some part, but his effort or heart has never been an issue and one can only assume hell do everything he can to be as close to 100% by the start of the season as possible.

The Bennett loss means very little IMO as long as the find someone whos capable of being a #3...maybe a #2 DE if injuries present itself. beyond that, Bennett was marginal. Same can be said for Miller IMO. His new found resurrection was because of scheme more than talent IMO, They bring the NT to do everything he can to disrupt the LG and C and try to force them into leaving McCoy in 1 on 1s. Even with a scheme geared to that, McCoy saw way more attention than he should with a tilted nose next to him. So why Miller was improved and the run d was tops, Miller wasn't effecting the matchups as much as he should have.

believe me, Im concerned with what/who they are going to field, but its far from the time to worry or trip out.

This^^^^^^ You don't pay five million a year for a backup DE.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#78 : March 25, 2013, 10:37:25 AM

You are both clearly all knowing.  No point in continuing this.  I bow to you.

Dude,you were wrong, and insulting about it.  Nobody expects apologies for the insult part but at least admit you were way off base.

Wrong about what?? That the people on these boards have no idea whats really going on behind closed doors? That was the point of the whole thread sir. Im sorry... not sir, Dude.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#79 : March 25, 2013, 10:51:20 AM

Losing Bennett was never a big deal for me. Not picking up depth to replace him is what I have issue with.

Does this Front Office not learn from past mistakes. In 2010, Dominik failed to pursue a DE in FA. The Bucs finished 10-6 and just missed the playoffs. Maybe a stud DE helps win that one extra game that year. I wake up Sunday to another article that Myron Lewis can be salvaged. C'mon already. This guy has been a bust from day one. This organization can't seriously think that he's better than what was out there on the Free Agent market recently.

Now Elvis Dumervil, a proven Veteran goes unnoticed and signs with the Ravens. Not 1 Cornerback has even been brought in for a visit. Not even a sniff. This defense isn't going to get better by signing 1 Safety and a back-up OLB.

For Elvis, it was the Broncs or Ravens, no one else. He wanted to play for a contender.  And I think Dom is all in on Revis, so lets see how it plays out.

And while we wait for a deal that may never happen, the Bucs don't get any better. If this deal doesn't pan out then the Bucs actually get worse.

Not really.  If Revis doesn't happen, then they draft Milliner and Rhodes.

Those are major IF's. What happens if the Jets deal Revis elsewhere and Milliner and Rhodes are off the board before we pick? Then where do the Bucs go for CB help?

The only way any of this makes sense is if the Bucs and Jets already have a deal in place and are just waiting on Revis to be healthy enough to pass a physical. I'm hoping that the Bucs trade up for Milliner or Rhodes and then pull off the deal for Revis with the Jets. Fingers crossed. 

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#80 : March 25, 2013, 10:59:48 AM

Does this Front Office not learn from past mistakes. In 2010, Dominik failed to pursue a DE in FA. The Bucs finished 10-6 and just missed the playoffs. Maybe a stud DE helps win that one extra game that year. I wake up Sunday to another article that Myron Lewis can be salvaged. C'mon already. This guy has been a bust from day one. This organization can't seriously think that he's better than what was out there on the Free Agent market recently.

Now Elvis Dumervil, a proven Veteran goes unnoticed and signs with the Ravens. Not 1 Cornerback has even been brought in for a visit. Not even a sniff. This defense isn't going to get better by signing 1 Safety and a back-up OLB.

For Elvis, it was the Broncs or Ravens, no one else. He wanted to play for a contender.  And I think Dom is all in on Revis, so lets see how it plays out.

And while we wait for a deal that may never happen, the Bucs don't get any better. If this deal doesn't pan out then the Bucs actually get worse.

Not really.  If Revis doesn't happen, then they draft Milliner and Rhodes.

Those are major IF's. What happens if the Jets deal Revis elsewhere and Milliner and Rhodes are off the board before we pick? Then where do the Bucs go for CB help?

The only way any of this makes sense is if the Bucs and Jets already have a deal in place and are just waiting on Revis to be healthy enough to pass a physical. I'm hoping that the Bucs trade up for Milliner or Rhodes and then pull off the deal for Revis with the Jets. Fingers crossed.
"Would the fans in seats 13F & 27C please follow the members of staff that are making their way to you now. You have won the Start a Game at CB for the Bucs Lottery. If you have a large friend with you today please bring them along as we are also needing help at DE and DT."

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#81 : March 25, 2013, 11:04:03 AM

How was releasing him a good idea again?

www.fact-checker.org

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#82 : March 25, 2013, 11:06:42 AM

The team needs a legit 3rd DE, and the price for Bennett seemed more than reasonable.

i agree with you, but i dont think its the end-all opinion.  would you have given bennett a longterm 6mil contract before schiano arrived?  maybe bennetts production was more a tribute to schiano than bennett?

or maybe bennett is just finally developing into an all-pro.  my fingers are crossed on the former.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#83 : March 25, 2013, 11:11:06 AM

Bennett has gotten better every year as he received more playing time.

Dolorous Jason

Hall of Famer

#84 : March 25, 2013, 03:22:23 PM

or maybe bennett is just finally developing into an all-pro. 

What is your point? I was wrong? Ok. You win. I was wrong.

CalcuttaRain

Hall of Famer
#85 : March 25, 2013, 05:49:12 PM

I think its funny that many people consider Bennett as the Bucs best pass rusher based on sack total only. First off, I think McCoy and Clayborn are the Bucs pass rushers. McCoy drew tons of attention and still had a good year for a DT regardless of sacks. Whos to benefit most from that? Bennett. Bennett was drawing Rts and TEs all year yet put up marginal numbers. teams have been able to target McCoy and Clayborn and its showed. Both have played well, but haven't been able to rack up the sack numbers and have both been the targets of protection by opposing offenses. Clayborn going out this year and McCoy playing DT have seem to have crowned Bennett by default.

Clayborn put up comparable numbers as a rook going up against a generally better athlete week in and out at LT as opposed to RT. Add in McCoy and Clayborn have generally drawn more attention, Bennett should have been putting up better numbers.

Bennett is average. Great against the run and average against the pass. the Bucs aren't losing much in the pass rush department losing Bennett. In the run game that's a different story. if anyones view reflects that, I have to respect it. Considering him as  a pass rusher is just silly though. Does anyone really think a LE run defender with adequate pass rushing is worth multiple years at over $5 mil? in 30 games over the last 2 years Bennett has 13 sacks. that's about 1 every 3 games yet guys are acting like he had the production of Ray Edwards(whos overrated) and should've been locked up.

Clayborn in his 19 games has 7.5 sacks and close to 1 every 2 games playing a more difficult position by most standards. hell, in 21 games, McCoy has 9 sacks at a position that the elite generally only hit 5 or 6 a full year. basin the measurements of basic averages and position totals, McCoy and Clayborn out perform Bennett.

The biggest loss with Bennett is his run support. the same could be said for Miller. The Bucs had a top run though and its likely that the staff think that assignments and execution led to that over Miller and Bennetts skills. I don't think anyone could really argue that fact given the result they've had the few years prior to schiano.

Is it a loss? yes to some extent....mostly in the run game. Can that production be replaced? IMO, yes it can and moderately easily.  don't think they've addressed that issue yet, but its weeks from the draft and FA isn't really winding down until week 1. If that production hasn't been replaced on paper by then, feel free to freak out. I also realize uncertainty about clayborn after his injury plays some part, but his effort or heart has never been an issue and one can only assume hell do everything he can to be as close to 100% by the start of the season as possible.

The Bennett loss means very little IMO as long as the find someone whos capable of being a #3...maybe a #2 DE if injuries present itself. beyond that, Bennett was marginal. Same can be said for Miller IMO. His new found resurrection was because of scheme more than talent IMO, They bring the NT to do everything he can to disrupt the LG and C and try to force them into leaving McCoy in 1 on 1s. Even with a scheme geared to that, McCoy saw way more attention than he should with a tilted nose next to him. So why Miller was improved and the run d was tops, Miller wasn't effecting the matchups as much as he should have.

believe me, Im concerned with what/who they are going to field, but its far from the time to worry or trip out.

Didnt Bowers, playing with a recovering Achilles, have a higher sack rate than Bennett this past year?

Show the bravest of the brave kids that you have their back.  Go to http://www.childrenscancercenter.org/

Just check out the site or maybe like them on Facebook . .  or Share the site on Facebook, re-tweet one of their tweets.  Not everyone can give money to support this great cause, but its easy to give 10 seconds of your time to help spread the word about The Children\\\\\\\'s Cancer Center

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#86 : March 25, 2013, 09:07:43 PM

Didnt Bowers, playing with a recovering Achilles, have a higher sack rate than Bennett this past year?

Yea.... This boils down to a risky decision. The bucs are banking on this guy:

And not the injury prone guy we've seen the past two years.

It's a huge risk but I agree with it.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#87 : March 25, 2013, 10:56:01 PM

He knew his shoulder was hurt, the bucs knew it and the 'hawks knew it.  And the bucs let him walk.  If there is an issue here I don't see it.  I am open to having it explained though.

No patronizing necessary Dave..
That wasn't patronizing Brian, if I wanted to be patronizing I wouldn't have offered to listen to an explanation.  And if I didn't know you I likely would have offered a really pointed evaluation of the reach being made with the logic offered.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#88 : March 25, 2013, 11:00:27 PM

Send an email to the Seahawks - they seem to disagree

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#89 : March 25, 2013, 11:08:01 PM

Did that torn rotator cuff also prevent them from signing a replacement?
I haven't seen a single person (that I can remember) really care bout the loss of Bennett the person/player, it's more to do with the loss of a pass rusher who happened to be our best and the total inactivity of the FO to do anything in regards to filling that hole.
I know, I know, we will be using one of the 27 picks we must have if the draft is going to fill all our holes.

Are you serious? Do some looking around the boards.. especially the insider board that SR posted the "The Bucs made a big mastake letting Bennett go" thread.

And on the whaaa whaaa from Dolores.. not sure what thats about. I sure as hell wasnt advocating for anything of the sort.
I've read a lot of people saying they aren't happy he's gone but not because it's Bennett, it's losing what the body/production.
Even Scotts article mentions Freeney or Abraham to fill the hole.
Unless it's a long time player or big name such as Barber fans generally couldn't care less about the actual player filling the spot as long as they produce.
It's like Roy Miller, people are upset he's walked, not because he's Roy Miller and they can't stand to see him leave but because we now have yet another hole to fill and nothing has been done about it.
You fill Bennetts spot on the roster with anyonee of similar production and he will be forgotten by about week 3.

Absolutely agree.

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Once again message board GMs had no clue. Bennett is injured! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools