Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why I am confused. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

JDouble

Hall of Famer
: March 25, 2013, 10:39:02 AM

At this point in free agency, it is completely a buyers market. The players left unemployed know the draft is right around the corner and they are desperately hoping to find employment. Except for a few top guys with special situations, the guys left now can be signed to very cheap deals with little or no guaranteed money. They can still be cut before the season starts for no loss. There is little to no risk. It is value signing time. With that said....

At DE we had a nice rotation of Clayborn, Bennett, and Bowers. With Bennett gone we no longer have a solid rotation. We don't even know if Clayborn will be 100% or if Bowers can start for an entire season and stay healthy. Yet we have shown no interest in any free agent DEs. We seem to be comfortable with Daniel Teo'Neishiem, Markus White, Aaron Morgan, Ernest Owusu, and Levingston Lazuras. This confuses me. Even if Bowers and Clayborn are 100% healthy all year, they both have little NFL experience. Plus we need a dependable DE for rotation and to step up and start in case of injury....yet we show no interest in Abraham, Freeney, or Osi. What gives?

Everyone knows we have next to nothing at CB. People were even sad when Biggers signed with the Redskins. That is how bad it has gotten. Yet, other than Revis trade rumors, we haven't shown any interest in any cornerbacks. I don't believe we have had a single corner back visit. All the guys considered to be the best available in free agency are long gone. There were rumors we like Captain Munnerlyn, but he resigned with the Panthers. Nnamdi is out there, but he's old and has looked horrible for the past two years. Grimes is still out there, but it seems like nobody is signing him because he is old and still not recovered from his Achilles injury. There are a bunch of old guys like Tracy Porter, Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Marcus Trufant, Rashean Mathis, and Quentin Jammer....which at this point would be great. At least we'd have some experienced vets that we know can play. But still zero interest. Right now Gorrer, Johnson, and Gaitor are our 2013 cornerbacks.

At running back we obviously have Doug Martin and that is awesome. We need a 2nd RB though because martin can't continue to get 400 touches a season if we want him to be around long term. We also need another running back in case Martin was to get hurt. Blount was resigned to a one year deal with no guaranteed money because we want to trade him. We didn't use him at all last year and it is obvious this regime does not want him. He will be traded or cut and does not factor in. Michael Smith is nothing. He has done zero. Other than running fast in a straight line, the guy hasn't shown an ounce of potential to be anything for us. That leaves DJ Ware. Ware is nothing special, but he is an ok role player. It wouldn't be hard to upgrade, but at this point he is all we have behind Martin. We have shown no interest in any free agent running backs. Meanwhile Ahmad Bradshaw, Cedric Benson, Rashad Jennings, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Jackie Battle, Peyton Hillis, and Deji Karim are all still available for next to nothing. Are we waiting till after the draft so we can pick up another Kregg Lumpkin at the last minute?

We currently have no real Sam linebacker. Cassilas is a coverage guy that adds depth at Will. Hayward and Watson are decent verse the run and can continue to compete for the job, but neither has shown the ability to be an effective pass rusher....which is what we really need out there at Sam. Larry Grant and Victor Butler would both be instant starters at Sam....but we have no interest. There are also other solid 4-3 linebackers out there. Justin Durant, Daryl Smith, Michael Boley, Gary Guyton, Brandon Siler...all are young, cheap, and would be upgrades over guys like Goode, Holland, and Cutrera.....but no interest.

We let Roy Miller walk for pennies. Fine. I don't think he was a world beater by any means, but he would have made solid depth. For what he signed for in Jax, we could have ketp him for depth. Now we have 32 year old Gary Gibson, Matthew Masifilo? Richard Clebert? and Corey Irvin....I don't even see good depth, much less a starting NT. There were plenty of upgrades, but they've all signed now. We showed no interest. We have one solid starter in McCoy, and he has only been able to stay healthy one of his first three years....yet we don't add a single DT in free agency and we let Miller walk? Welcome to crazy town. Only true NT left that I think would be a good signing for us is Alan Branch....but again, no interest.

I don't follow offensive linemen close enough to tell you what is available right now in free agency, but I do know that our o-line depth is awful. There has to be some upgrades, or at least better competition available....but no interest.

So basically whether you agree with letting Miller and Bennett walk or not, whether you agree with passing on all the top free agent CBs or not, whther you are hoping we get Revis or not....the question now is why are we not making any attempt to get better in the "value" period of free agency? We can't possibly fill all of our needs through the draft, so why aren't we signing guys in attempt to improve depth and fill some obvious needs? I really just don't understand. We've signed too many expensive "older" free agents to go back to "build solely through the draft" plan. So what gives?

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 25, 2013, 10:47:17 AM

Good question.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 25, 2013, 10:56:53 AM

Confused. Angst. Disbelief.

All of that in regards to the team and the guys in charge approach to fixing what ails them. Rebuild again?  Dom needs to be fired today if the word rebuild even comes close to being used to describe his efforts.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 25, 2013, 11:01:09 AM

Dom's glazers-imposed cap back in place?

(Know what they said about active and improving, but I don't see either one so far) Plus, they're known backstabbers.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the bucs came second somehow for revis.

Think of it this way.. Sometimes with my wife, I don't always have to actually do anything to make her happy with me. All I have to do is the "attempt" part of it in most cases. In which case, she's usually is happy with me, but I never actually did what was said, just "tried" to. I admit, it wears out eventually, and it's a good trick to get out of dish-duty, however, I don't do this too often in fear she'll catch me, get tired of it, etc.

A lot of fans are like my wife. They see that they tried and failed, but figure it wasn't their fault they lost out. They want to forgive. The trouble with that is, they constantly place low bids in an "attempt" to make the fans believe they tried. It might be the reason the revis trade hasn't happened yet.

They could be waiting on another bidder, and I'm not talking about the jets either. As my father once told me, "one excuse is good as another" Meaning, if you don't do it, you don't do it...there is no explanation needed.  While every other team is building depth, or bringing in guys like manning and dumervil, we're twiddling our thumbs like we're "smart" or something.

I have but two questions for the glazers. How is capspace "good" if you never use it? And isn't that a self-imposed cap if you never spend it?
: March 25, 2013, 11:18:38 AM Benchwarmer#1

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

gbobucsfan

Pro Bowler
#4 : March 25, 2013, 11:03:39 AM

Larry Grant would be an interesting pickup. 

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 25, 2013, 11:05:05 AM

I'm confused as well. I really hope we aren't banking on having another draft like last years. Dom's draft history is a little to spotty for that it's rare for teams to have a draft class like this team did last year and to think we can hit on our top three picks and have them contribute like last years class is a mistake IMO. Of course we don't know all the details and whats going on behind the scenes, but when you see how the market has been playing out and when you see guys that are clear upgrades over whats currently on the roster ( EX. Alan Branch > Gibson, Justin Durant > Casillas and damn near any CB available > bucs current CBs) its hard to not be confused/disgusted. Everyone wants the players upgraded I think we need a GM upgrade just as bad and that's not from his FA inactivity that's from his entire time as the GM in Tampa!
: March 25, 2013, 11:07:49 AM 1Va bucsfan

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 25, 2013, 11:06:41 AM

Yes, we haven't seen a buyers market like this before. This is a great opportunity to plug holes so the draft can be BPA.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 25, 2013, 11:08:23 AM

Yup.  I think everyone here is ok with the idea of the team not wanting to dole out big contracts to mediocre players, wrecking the team's long-term cap outlook.  But I see no good reason for them to not be looking at bringing in some journeymen free agents to patch some of of the team's pretty clear holes.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 25, 2013, 11:47:40 AM

If we ended up signing Larry Grant/Victor Butler to play Sam, Alan Branch to play NT, and Marcus Trufant/Tracy Porter to give us some experience and dependability at CB.....this free agency period could still be salvaged.

I just don't see it happening. For what ever reason we seem completely uninterested.

smithcar

Starter

#9 : March 25, 2013, 11:53:26 AM

I would like to see us at least look at getting some vets for a short one maybe two year deal, Isreal Idonije and Antoine Winfield come to mind.  Idonije can play both DT and DE, Winfeild is a sure tackler and can still play some CB, no he isn't great anymore but still better than what we currently have.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 25, 2013, 11:57:29 AM

All good questions. I for one would be calling Antoine Winfield, Osi and Freeney.

Hayseed

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 25, 2013, 12:02:34 PM

I'll start to be concerned if we are still in the same situation after the draft. All points and questions are valid, however, it's still March. With so much riding on this season (front office, coaching jobs), I have a hard time believing that the Bucs are done tweaking their line up.

They Call Me El Jefe, El Primo De Los Matadors,
The Master Of The Metaphor, A Chaw Chewin\' Troubadour

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#12 : March 25, 2013, 12:11:20 PM

JDouble, great post. I completely agree.
Color me confused as to why we have STARTING POSITIONS on this team that remain open and we are not looking to fill them. DT, SAM, and CB1 & 2....who's starting here? You can't pencil in 3rd and 4th round draft picks as starters.

El Diablo

Starter

#13 : March 25, 2013, 12:14:56 PM

Yeah you might want to wait and see what happens before you write another book about it. Still lots of time left to make moves.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 25, 2013, 12:16:00 PM

It would be interesting to look around the league and see if there's a team out there without a legit starter at as many positions as the Bucs do at the moment. Right now 2 CBs, SAM and NT are beyond the "two guys competing" stage and really need to be filled.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why I am confused. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools