Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Josh Freeman Be a Free Man After the 2013 Season? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 28, 2013, 10:29:54 AM

Just see how he does this year and if he sucks again move on. Its really pretty simple.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 28, 2013, 11:02:08 AM

Hasselbeck is not better and we had the chance to draft Wilson and didn't, everyone else passed as well because no one thought he would be what he is and didn't want to gamble a high pick on him.

I'm not afraid of getting a worse QB. But what I don't want to do is do what many fans want to do, cut him without any real plan on how we're going to replace him.

Drafting a QB is very difficult and good FA QBs usually don't hit the market unless they have a Manning type injury. There are only 10 teams, and that is being generous, who are honestly set at QB. All those draft picks and all those FA signings and there are very few proven franchise QBs.

Freeman broke many offensive records here. It is what it is. Right now our chances of winning are better with Freeman and improving our defense as I don't see a QB in this years draft or next years draft I feel good enough about to let Freeman go.

This^^^^^^^^ and actually 2013 is his 4th year coming in as the starter, and only his 3rd with a full offseason program, and only his 2nd with a decent coaching staff. That's not even talking about the injuries and inexperience of his offensive teammates. I'm confident we now have the right coaches and players to take the next step. The Bucs will be in the playoffs and the few here who want Freeman gone will move on to other topics or, better yet, other teams.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 28, 2013, 11:40:22 AM

There's no realistic scenario where Freeman isn't the Bucs QB in 2014 so all this talk is played out.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 28, 2013, 11:43:51 AM

There's no realistic scenario where Freeman isn't the Bucs QB in 2014 so all this talk is played out.

Um how about he plays like how he did in the last 5 games?? He does that hes getting benched before the season even ends.

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 28, 2013, 11:53:30 AM

Um how about he plays like how he did in the last 5 games?? He does that hes getting benched before the season even ends.

You're using a 5 game sample size that includes two of the worst games of his career and back it up with talks of him being benched. Like I said, no realistic scenario.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 28, 2013, 12:04:14 PM

As much as people hate Freeman, we could easily do much worse.

How do you figure?    They could have drafted Russell Wilson last year if they didn't have Freeman.

They could have signed free agent Peyton Manning.

They could have signed Hasselbeck this year.

All of those guys would win more games than Freeman in 2013 as the Bucs QB.

You don't keep a guy out of fear of ending up with worse.   You keep a guy because you think he's your guy.   I don't see Freeman as the solution.
Right, the Bucs shouldn't have taken Josh in 2009 and given him a real chance to prove himself because it "stopped" them signing 427 year old Hasselbeck in 2013.
A guy that we still could have signed anyway with all our cap space, it's not like having Luck stopped the Colts getting him.

What are some of you smoking?
: March 28, 2013, 12:05:59 PM TBTrojan

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 28, 2013, 12:23:18 PM

I wish there was some way of showing these people what would have happened if Freeman was on the Seahawks and Hasselbeck was on the Bucs just so they would shut up.

QaZ

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 28, 2013, 12:23:32 PM

How do you figure?    They could have drafted Russell Wilson last year if they didn't have Freeman.

They could have signed free agent Peyton Manning.

They could have signed Hasselbeck this year.

All of those guys would win more games than Freeman in 2013 as the Bucs QB.

You don't keep a guy out of fear of ending up with worse.   You keep a guy because you think he's your guy.   I don't see Freeman as the solution.

No way Peyton gets here, this decision was already made by getting rid of Gruden in '08.

This all-or-nothing is BS. If cleaning toilets is the best job available, you take it. rather than making no money. Freeman does not keep us from getting our own elite QB. Rodgers and Luck got to teams that had Favre and Peyton as their QBs. We could have drafted Wilson. Having Freeman is/was not the problem, rating Freeman higher as Wilson 'might' have been. That was the reason we passed on Wilson. No one says we should not get a better QB than Freeman, in case one becomes available.

I do not see letting Freeman walk for nothing as a solution for a team that has multiple holes to fill, not just QB.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 28, 2013, 12:26:19 PM

You're using a 5 game sample size that includes two of the worst games of his career and back it up with talks of him being benched. Like I said, no realistic scenario.

How about he plays like how he did in the 5 games in the middle of the season where he led the entire league in passer rating? He does that he's getting 25 million each year on a 5 year contract.

34 TDs, 4,500 yards, 10 interceptions, 58% completions, and even better in 2014. Schiano makes a difference.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 28, 2013, 01:41:32 PM

How about he plays like he did the first 5 games of the season, where he avg 223 yds per game, had a 8-5 td to int ratio, he does that, and he's a middle of the road qb. (similar to a "just below avg" nfl qb, like i believe him to be)

There is no scenario guaranteeing either way that he is the avg qb worth 3-5 mil a year, or will turn into a 25mil a year star qb, or regress into an afterthought type qb.
It's all on him and the coaching staff. but ultimately up to him to put it together and be consistent.

As fans of this team we should all hope he figures it out, otherwise it's going to be another long season of "well he's only 26" and "he sux" threads.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 28, 2013, 05:00:13 PM

I hear this a lot, but "we could do worse" isn't a very good reason to give a guy a huge payday. How about "we can do better"?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 28, 2013, 05:07:47 PM

I hear this a lot, but "we could do worse" isn't a very good reason to give a guy a huge payday. How about "we can do better"?

Yeah maybe we could do better. I'm not against drafting a QB, really not. But I'm against taking a 2nd or 3rd rounder hoping he make something of himself while letting Freeman go. Now if we were somehow in position to draft a Andrew Luck or RGIII type prospect, I'm all for it, but I don't see a QB like that hitting the market this year and possibly not next year.

So while we can do worse and we can do better, I realistically don't see us doing better in the near future. That was part of my gripe, and many people's gripe, when we drafted Freeman. That we were then married to him, better or worse, for 4-5 years. And now in his last year of contract there is crap available at QB and who the heck knows what will be there next year. Doesn't look good to do better in my view.

We all argue that we should have this ideal franchise QB who can do this, that and the other thing. But let's bring the convo into the real world. What available options are clearly better than Freeman?
: March 28, 2013, 05:09:38 PM BucNY

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

smove28

Starter

#27 : March 28, 2013, 05:09:11 PM

Dear Tampa Bay fans, please ask the Raiders, Cards, Bills, Titans etc how they could feel to have Free under center. This thread is a typical small market thread lol #GoBucs

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 28, 2013, 05:11:15 PM

Id Tyler Wilson fell to us in the 2nd round, I'd be real tempted to draft him and immediately turn around and put Freeman on the block. We could probably get a 1st in 2014 for him, which would give us options if Wilson stunk it up as a rook. I know it won't happen, but I just hate to see us keep him too long and then give up on him when he no longer has value.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 28, 2013, 05:17:56 PM

I was just reading how the Packers are close to closing a new deal for Rodgers. It's estimated he will make $24M per year! That means mediocre QBs like Freeman will be getting $15M+ per year....I can't imagine giving him that kinda loot! The system is broken. There needs to be some sort of cap on individual salaries.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Josh Freeman Be a Free Man After the 2013 Season? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools